Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I've got a '14 SXT with the 8.4n and base alpine audio system. I believe the rear speakers are blown, sounds like loud popping when the bass hits or volume is over around 20. Does this sound right to you guys? I listen to a lot of rap, Edm, and other bass heavy music so I cranked the equalizer up all the way when I got the car.

I'm leasing, so I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to be able to fix the problem and listen to my bass heavy music without destroying the whole system. Should I just take it in and have it replaced? What options do I have? Cheaper, the better

Thank you!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Speakers are easy to replace, but the cheaper you go, the more likely you will be replacing them again. If you want to push the system, upgrade. Otherwise switch to Barry Manilow. Lots of advice here if you want to get in to that and it can be less expensive than you think.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Speakers are easy to replace but remember to replace them with a quality speaker and match the RMS rating on the speaker. A good amp will help with the sound. The best thing you can do also is to get a speaker baffle. All that is, is a fiberglass or foam enclosure for the speaker and it will improve your overall sound out of the speaker.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want to void my lease, that's the question. What's the best route I should go down? Mopar speaker upgrade? I don't want to add a sub and enclosure, etc.
I just want it to crank out of what is already installed

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wouldn't that be under warranty? I blew the speakers in my 08 Grand Prix and Pontiac replaced them for free.
Just don't tell them you had it cranked all the way up! Lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's under warranty, but I don't want to blow them again

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't want to void my lease, that's the question. What's the best route I should go down? Mopar speaker upgrade? I don't want to add a sub and enclosure, etc.
I just want it to crank out of what is already installed
Replacing speakers should not void your lease. I would install speakers in leased vehicles all the time when I was working in mobile audio. You can install some better speakers and then put the factory ones back in when the lease is up.
I would see if that is covered under the warranty. Might replace it for you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Replacing speakers should not void your lease. I would install speakers in leased vehicles all the time when I was working in mobile audio. You can install some better speakers and then put the factory ones back in when the lease is up.
I would see if that is covered under the warranty. Might replace it for you.
Good idea to get stock replacements to return with the vehicle if needed. Especially if they are free. Tho Mopar replacements are based on Kicker KS speakers. That should help you when looking. Most web retailers will tell you what fits. Use a reputable site that accepts returns. Baffles help keep water off if they are in the doors but they are generally not stiff enough to affect the sound. Make sure to get harness adapters. Some retailers include them with purchase.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long does it take to do an upgrade? Will Kicker KS in the rear provide a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Did mine in a couple hours first time I tried. Mainly from figuring out how it was all put together. Hopefully you will benefit from our collective experience! They will make a noticeable difference mainly because the stock have no tweeter. But power-wise you will always be at a risk of blowing them because the radio is low power, so turning it up will clip the amplifier, which is what ruins speakers. The radio is likely only 2-5 Watts per channel.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Yeah it's under warranty, but I don't want to blow them again
Factory speakers shouldn't blow. They are designed for the system they are installed on and can handle all the system puts out.

It's under warranty, get it looked at and have the speakers replaced IF that is the problem. Until it is diagnosed, you don't actually know what the problem is.

Don't go adding aftermarket parts or you will void the warranty on the sound system. Not a good idea on a lease. ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Factory speakers shouldn't blow. They are designed for the system they are installed on and can handle all the system puts out.

It's under warranty, get it looked at and have the speakers replaced IF that is the problem. Until it is diagnosed, you don't actually know what the problem is.

Don't go adding aftermarket parts or you will void the warranty on the sound system. Not a good idea on a lease. ;)
I figured that I should have the techs take a look at it.
I'm getting what seems to be a rear suspension thump sound when going over bumps as well, so I need to get that checked out along with the speakers. Now I just have to make time to take it in!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Start at the dealership, ask all the questions that come up here, then decide what to do. If you replace speakers, it can be done so that going back to stock is easy. They are pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did mine in a couple hours first time I tried. Mainly from figuring out how it was all put together. Hopefully you will benefit from our collective experience! They will make a noticeable difference mainly because the stock have no tweeter. But power-wise you will always be at a risk of blowing them because the radio is low power, so turning it up will clip the amplifier, which is what ruins speakers. The radio is likely only 2-5 Watts per channel.

+1 low power amps clipping will blow speakers. Flatten that EQ out a bit. You're likely pushing that stock system too hard. Better speakers may help some, but the clipping can still blow them.

If you get different speakers, get some that have a high efficiency rating. They'll make the most sound out of the low power from the head unit, which lets you not turn up the EQ and volume as much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
826 Posts
+1 low power amps clipping will blow speakers. Flatten that EQ out a bit. You're likely pushing that stock system too hard. Better speakers may help some, but the clipping can still blow them.

If you get different speakers, get some that have a high efficiency rating. They'll make the most sound out of the low power from the head unit, which lets you not turn up the EQ and volume as much.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Important detail from JWS1982. That is why Infinity/JBL make 2 Ohm speakers, to get more out of an OEM head unit. Pay attention to Ohm rating when shopping for alternatives. For Example Kicker are 3.7-4 Ohm so you would get less overall sound out of them than Infinity. Not an issue when you are pushing a lot of power and high volume, but that is not possible with low-powered OEM systems and just cuts overall sound level.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts