Charger Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my R?T up to about 115 mph....Did not want to push it too hard yet, only a few hundred miles on it...Does anyone know its true top speed?

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
At 126 MPH the car just won't go any faster. Without a limiter it should be in the 150-155 range. SRT-8 should be able to see the other side of 160 (without a limiter).

·
Registered
608 Posts
What about the Daytona ? What is it governed at ?

·
Banned
14 Posts
I dont know, but I broke going close to 160. I already tested it to 125. When you hit 120 the whole chasis lowers it self. I just wanted to see what this car could do.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I dont know, but I broke going close to 160. I already tested it to 125. When you hit 120 the whole chasis lowers it self. I just wanted to see what this car could do.

Do you have a Daytona with the performance package? :confused:

·
Registered
662 Posts
DirtyOM said:

Do you have a Daytona with the performance package? :confused:
All Daytonas have the perf. pack. ;)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
A FELONY speeding ticket, is it worth it? My luck, I`d be on a totally deserted road, and there would be a cop just sitting there behind a billboard! :happy:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Something is not right here. The stock R/T is limited at (read that as computer controlled to "not go faster than") about 125 +/- a couple MPH. The Daytona and R/T (w/R&TPP) are limited at about 145MPH (same definition). The SRT-8 has been tested to be limited at about 168MPH (this time not by computer control but pure aerodynamics vs horsepower).

I do not believe that a stock R/T has enough horsepower to even push it to 160MPH. It takes about 60% of the power at highway speeds (lets say 70MPH) to overcome air drag (wind resistance). As speed increases, the power requirement goes up exponentially. Therefore, if an R/T is using 60HP @ 70MPH (SWAG), 36HP is being used to just break thru the air. The rest is being used to move weight. It would take about eight times as much power to overcome air drag when the speed is doubled. So to do 140MPH, you would need about 288HP to just overcome the air drag. You will also need extra HP to move the weight faster as well. So even if we say that the R/T has all of the 340 horses available, we only have 52HP left to move the car. That less than what was being used to go 70. Let just say that since air drag is taken out of the equation, the power to move weight at one speed there is not a big differential to move it faster. This would mean that for our 340HP car, wind resistance would limit it to about 140 (give or take based on my made up numbers). I just don't think the stock R/T has the "guts" to push into the 150's let alone 160's.

Faith, nothing against you, but saying you got close to 160 sends up my BS sensor flag. Could you possibly be talking about KPH? If so, 160KPH is about 100MPH. Plenty fast if you ask me.

NOTE: SWAG = Silly Wild A$$ Guess

References:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Darn, Faith, don't be so harsh on him. Anyone claiming to do what the car is not supposed to be able to do has to expect to be called on it. If you were to claim to have a 13.0 second time in the 1/4 mile, the same thing would happen.

Many owners have reported the limiter is in fact there. See, US makers set electronic limiters according to the max speed rating of the tires. Here's the description of the H speed rating, which are standard tires on an R/T, from tirerack.com

H 130 mph 210 km/h Sport Sedans & Coupes

He did not "scream BS", he called BS, which is a time honored tradition. And quite honestly, I do too. The number of tickets you have, or how you like to test the limits is irrelevant to this.

Sorry if it hurts your feelings that folks don't just unthinkingly believe your claim, but it's not jelousy, or envy, just a wish for facts.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Do you realize how many egocentric racerchicks I've dealt with in the last three years?

See, you make claims that are not possible, then when called to produce any shred of evidence to support them you start calling names. What I live for is share knowledge and information. And to keep bull**** from becoming fact through repetition. I do this by using reality to squash bull**** claims.

Dont confuse "being free" with just making **** up as you go girlie, becuase THAT will bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Faith...That is awesome that you had that experience...I hope to do it one day on the track when some kind of mod or programmer comes out to the public...I hit my speed limiter at 124mph...I can not wait until the programmer that you got done is available to us, because I will not need to do any mods if I can not go any faster than 124mph...Have fun and be safe...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I want some of what she is smoking!!!!!! Damn thats good stuff!!! :happy:

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I also call the BS card on the 160mph story.... My friend has a white R/T with ther R&T package, and he's put the 3.07 rear end out of his 300C into it as well as modified as a 75 shot nitrous system. On the interstate, WOT and fully juiced, we managed to hit the speed limiter at 129, there were plenty more revs to get out of the engine, it just wouldnt go any farther.. (he also port/polished the heads and intake)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Maybe she knows one of those auto programmer geeks...You never know...I have known people that can hook up a laptop and map a computer in about an hour. If she knows someone that has done this then that guy could be rich if he lets out his secrets

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Like I said read her post #19. We were all talking at the same time. This is the only way around the limiter. Good for her if she found someone to be able to do this already.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Regardless of whether it is true or not...I stand by my post!!

LOL

·
Banned
14 Posts
Hey if you live near fayetteville. I will talk to my dad and see if his friend still tinkers with cars or if he is in jail. I will let you know in private.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Ahhrg, see, this is why I go off, already folks are accepting this nonsense as reality. Expect more posts shortly as I take this apart.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.