Charger Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
While I could see the emblems as a mistake, to me, that really shows a shop that is more interesting in getting a car out quickly rather than doing a good job. Yeah, something's are better done by yourself. If you are going to have someone else put the decals on, or do it yourself, I'd may sure not to pay the body shop for that work.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
While I could see the emblems as a mistake, to me, that really shows a shop that is more interesting in getting a car out quickly rather than doing a good job. Yeah, something's are better done by yourself. If you are going to have someone else put the decals on, or do it yourself, I'd may sure not to pay the body shop for that work.
I agree, but I also agree I'm a bit ridiculous. They had the car for a month, so it's not like they were just rushing to get it done.

This is a Mercedes-Benz/Audi/Porsche/BMW dealer that I use due to a family connection, so I'd imagine people with M and AMG cars that cost a helluva lot more than mine are just as fussy as I am.

If it was something else, Id send it back, I have before. To be honest, I have never gotten a car repaired and not find something that wasn't up to my level of satisfaction. However, it's just the emblems and itll give me the ability to take my time and measure it out and make sure they're even.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I agree, but I also agree I'm a bit ridiculous. They had the car for a month, so it's not like they were just rushing to get it done.
I did not express myself correctly. If you were going to stick on the 392 emblems what would you do? First thing I'd do is measure the other one. So how could someone put it in the wrong place. I think they simply eyeballed it and stuck it on. It is not like it is a difficult job. So they kind of did rush that. I could see getting something wrong if it was difficult but this is, measure and stick.

Yup, if it were my car I'd see that in 2 seconds and left like it is, it would drive me crazy every day.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did not express myself correctly. If you were going to stick on the 392 emblems what would you do? First thing I'd do is measure the other one. So how could someone put it in the wrong place. I think they simply eyeballed it and stuck it on. It is not like it is a difficult job. So they kind of did rush that. I could see getting something wrong if it was difficult but this is, measure and stick.

Yup, if it were my car I'd see that in 2 seconds and left like it is, it would drive me crazy every day.
Yeah, you're right. It was most likely eyeballed. I'll also say that 9 out of 10 people would probably never notice.

In my experience, no dealer, no matter what types of cars are being dealt with, employ people who take the time and care that are up to par in my book. Probably several factors involved such a workload, time, and it just being a job. The local guy I go to is amazing. He loves cars, that being said, it would take him 6 months or more to do what just tool a month. Plus, he doesn't have a loaner, isn't accepted under my insurance policy and would probably have a much more difficult time being the middle man between the insurance company and ordering parts.

The dealer is over an hour away, and would take probably 3 weeks until it would be back in the shop to have the installed correctly. I hit the deer almost 2 months ago. So I'll eat this one and just do it on my own.

We'll see about when it comes time to install the hood stripes.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is this fussy. I drive dealers and family members crazy with my attention to detail on cars.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
"Ahem . . . nice spacing but its upside down"

That would be a satirical comment from the general audience watching me do that.

Wonder what else is not lined up properly by the bodyshop.. Body lines ok?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
"Ahem . . . nice spacing but its upside down"

That would be a satirical comment from the general audience watching me do that.

Wonder what else is not lined up properly by the bodyshop.. Body lines ok?
Everything else is good. I know it doesn't seem that way from my posts, but overall they did a very good job.

Cars aren't perfect ever, not from the factory, and then never at all once they're in some sort of collision or in need of repair. I have never, I know I said it before, gotten any car fixed ever and have been 100% satisfied. Or I should be more clear, have had the job done 100% to perfection. Granted, most of the issues I find are things most people will never notice.

I've come a long way in my 35 years in realizing that nothing is perfect, putting that idea in my head is a different story though.

All in all, it looks good. No more road rash, all the plastic underneath and in the wheel wells is new, and my airbox was replaced therefore I no longer have my jerry-rigged weather strip there where they were broken before.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
On the 392 badges... that's not OCD, that's just WRONG! They need to fix that on their dime.

Congrats on getting the car back! :)

"Nine out of ten people wouldn't notice." Nine out ten people are not on this forum. ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, for anyone who cares, my OCD won. The car is going back to the shop. Few more things...

The hood is the main reason it's going back. The hood was initially going to be replaced, but my insurance opted for repair. The repair to the damage on the hood is perfect, the paint is not. The whole hood was not repainted, just the affected area then clear coat resprayed. It now looks like it has 20 little dings where they sprayed over the years of road rash. This will be fixed. My insurance needs to cover the costs.

2nd, the badges will be realigned on their dime. I already ordered two of my own, who knows what I'll do with them. Probably stick them on my wall in my garage.

Last and final thing, and this is just something I'm going to have to deal with. Also knew this going it. One headlight housing is crystal clear, the other is 7 years old. It's not cloudy, but isn't new. The headlamp itself is a little more clear while driving. Fortunately from head on they look identical. The DRL is a little noticeable as not being as bright, but this is the reflective surface, not the bulb. (Car is 2013 so DRL is 50% of high beam not 2015+ DRL). It's annoying, but the headlight housing is almost $1,000.00 for the HID one, so that is just going to have to stay.

So, unfortunately 1 month in the shop wasn't enough and it will be going back. Initial accident with deer was the end of March, my guess is Im looking at probably 2-3 weeks until it goes back to the shop and then another week in.

Was nice to get back in the 392, things could be worse. I'm sure my wife and daughter are happy I'm spending a little less time in the garage tinkering with my car for the last few months.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
2nd, the badges will be realigned on their dime. I already ordered two of my own, who knows what I'll do with them. Probably stick them on my wall in my garage.
All of those kinds of badges/stickers/etc. go on my roll-away toolbox! :cool:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That is strange that they wouldn't extend the repair on the hood to remove the blemishes and rock chips. Makes me wonder if they underestimated the body work hours on the hood or simply cut time doing the work to come under their quote.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That is strange that they wouldn't extend the repair on the hood to remove the blemishes and rock chips. Makes me wonder if they underestimated the body work hours on the hood or simply cut time doing the work to come under their quote.
I'll go with the 2nd. The dealer originally had a new hood in their estimate. I'm guessing my insurance opted for repair. When the Estimator calls me today I'll find out.

I'm not disappointed in the repair, it's the finish. While the rock chips weren't pretty, they weren't overly noticeable. Now, with clear coat over them it created divots that look like dings.

To repair that I'm not sure what they'll do. It isn't a few, it's numerous.

Either way it needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Too late now but at the beginning did you consider price difference between a hood repair and a new hood, and paying the difference out of pocket. When the insurance told the body shop to repair, not replace the hood you should have received an amended quote you could compare that price difference.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Too late now but at the beginning did you consider price difference between a hood repair and a new hood, and paying the difference out of pocket. When the insurance told the body shop to repair, not replace the hood you should have received an amended quote you could compare that price difference.
It would have been a substantial difference. I have the white from the dealer with all necessary repairs, minus actual numbers. I then have what was approved from Progressive.

The issue I have is I was assured, by both ends, that the hood would be in the same condition it was prior to the accident. I have no issue with them repairing the hood. The problem is, the hood is now repaired, had a nice glossy clear coat finish, but all the rock chips no appear as small dings. That's not acceptable.

Had I opted for a new hood, clearly then yes that would be on my dime. However I don't think I should have to pay for a hood to be repaired half-assed.

All in all, it's not a huge issue. It's several small things that need to be corrected.

The car is 7 years old, has 122k+ miles, and is not flawless, but probably as close to you can get for a daily driver. The hood definitely is not up to par with the rest of the vehicle.

I'm still going back and forth to see what will be done. If it's too much of a headache I may just say screw it and just have the badges fixed.

I'll whine, sob, pout, and be a little baby for a few days, but it is not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ok, I'm getting frustrated...

The car is going back this Wednesday, no thanks to Progressive. The shop is absorbing the costs.

Emblem being replaced, hood being repainted, and the buffed correctly.

Here's my next issue, the headlamps do not match. I think they're probably the same bulb, but one is brand new, the other is 7 years old. The housing for the old lamp isn't clouded, but the little lens over the HID bulb is cloudy.

It's night and day in terms of brightness while driving. From 25 yards, it's blatantly obvious.

These are the things that make me livid. The car was in about as perfect condition as you can get for a daily.

My insurance company, I'm guessing, won't cover it. Unfortunately the HID housing is just under $1,000.00, the OEM Mopar bulb is $169.99 even on Rock Auto.

I thought the car needed to be returned in prior to accident condition, but from my reading I'm guessing that's not the case.

Now, on top of the hood, decals, emblems, I have mismatching headlamps. Fortunately the other items are being taken care of.

Do I have any leg to stand on telling Flo how distracting it is driving with 2 different headlight brightness levels, or are they going to tell me to pound sand?

I know life happens, but I don't think I should be paying on my dime to have my car returned to what it was before my accident.

Also, would putting a new bulb only get it closer to matching? Or should I just say screw it?

It's things like this that drive me absolutely insane.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Is the bulb from the old light assembly still at the body shop or did they dispose of the headlight already.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Is the bulb from the old light assembly still at the body shop or did they dispose of the headlight already.
I can ask, but I'm guessing it's long gone. I've had it back a week, and it was in the shop a month.

I can guarantee I'm annoying the hell out of them.

Here's a picture of the difference.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm thinking there may be a way to clean the projector lens as well. I'm guessing that at least part of the problem is the dirty lens. Even if the bulb is replaced, the lens will still be cloudy. There's no way for me to get the outside of the lens, but maybe a pipe cleaner and a small microfiber may be able to reach the inside. Now trying to get my hand wedged in there is going to be another story.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is this fussy. I drive dealers and family members crazy with my attention to detail on cars.
I created an account just so I can rant on this thread.

Personally, considering you're shelling out cash I don't think you're being fussy. I snagged a deer last fall and the body shop had it for roughly 2 weeks and replaced an HID headlight, hood, bumper, grille, and a lot of plastic. They bought an aftermarket bumper and it didn't align with the rest of the front end that well. I didn't notice until I was home taking a REALLY close look at everything. So I brought it back and asked if there was anything they could do. They bought an OEM bumper, billed my insurance, and had it back in the shop for a week. Very frustrating. About after that I noticed the headlight assembly they replaced isn't completely secured. I think one of the four bolts is loose because I can wiggle it ever so slightly on one side. It by no means will fall out or is misaligned but I'm now irked because this shop has done great work for my parents and of course the first car that's in my name that goes there doesn't live up to my expectations.

About two months after the deer, I got in a very minor fender bender in standstill traffic on the highway right before the holidays. Lady in front of me stopped short in rain and I slammed on my brakes and slightly tapped her bumper. There wasn't damage to the other car (thank GOD because she was driving a brand new Lexus SUV) but it sure as hell cracked the bumper and grille that I just had replaced. Due to the extremely minor nature, we didn't call for a state trooper, we exchanged info and cell phone numbers and left. She wasn't filing anything with her insurance because she had no damage and given my not-so-great driver's history I didn't tell mine. Two weeks ago I had the front end work redone (no headlight replacement so a bit cheaper) and added a K&N cold air filter and glad to have my car back with a little bonus. That one headlight wiggles a bit but I would have to take off the entire front end to get at the bolts so...I'll manage. That wiggling headlight is the reason I started browsing here, I wanted to see if it was accessible without removing the front end. That's a stern nope.

If any of you read this far you deserve to see my dash cam snippet of hitting the deer, enjoy my Reddit video

21 - 40 of 40 Posts