Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from work tonight. Should need a fender, bumper, light, and a bunch of plastic stuff. Don't seen anything bent with the suspension but it's dark.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Makes your heart sink because you know there is damage when they make contact. You'll see more damage in the morning when its light out.

I've taken out two Deer, and hobbled one other in 93, 95 and 2017. All causing thousands of dollars in damage each time. And in 2019 had an Armadillo cause 3800 in damage to the scat.

Sorry to read about the accident and glad you are ok.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I remember your Armadillo damage. I'm gonna guess between $5-6k in repairs. I brought it into my garage and went over it. Drove it about 15 miles home from work. A little tough to open the drivers door. Felt bad for the deer, don't know where she went. I'm sure she's dead. She pooped all over my car. Brembo's worked good, even in the rain. Did my best to avoid her but had no road left to steer off of and she kept running.

Oh well, could have been worse.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I saw the brown streak but wasn't sure if it was the Deers or yours.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw the brown streak but wasn't sure if it was the Deers or yours.

Sorry - couldn't resist.
Mine would have been on the seat, lol.

Didn't scare me as it wasn't immediate, I saw her coming so had a splot second to try and react. Was more of a, "great how much damage is this going to be" thought. Just glad it wasn't head on or higher speed collision. Wasn't going much more than 20mph on impact, if that.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Deer tend to roll down the side of the car based on my experience with deer.

When I was on temp duty in Alaska in 90 I hit a moose in a new Govt Chevy 4x4 driving to Fairbanks in the dark. Totally destroyed the front of the truck and buckled both front doors and could make out antler imprints on the top of the buckled hood. It plays itself out in slow motion after the fact.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Lucky you didn't take him full on and have him flip up through the windshield..hitting any wild animal can be deadly if you're going even moderate (aka legal) speeds. Horses & Moose are the worst, followed by cows: Way back in the dark ages (1977) I was the front seat passenger in a 69 Pontiac LeMans, which for some reason we were driving out in the wide open empty space near Tucumcari NM way past midnight. We had the windows down to keep the smoke from the wacky tabacky to a minimum, when suddenly we saw what we thought was a giant tumbleweed blowing towards us out of the dark. Way too late we discovered it was a cow... we clipped it in the neck with the right front fender and it just sort of burst... I was covered in blood and took me a minute to figure out it was not mine, but the cows. The car was barely drive able (right wheel cocked at a bad angle) but we were miles from any town and had no idea when or if anybody would come by, so we limped it in to Tucumcari and I cleaned up at a gas station. My buddy got a ticket from the state police for leaving the scene of an accident, and a couple weeks later a bill from the rancher for $700 for the cow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
As Kraut mentioned, it is a good thing that the deer did not go through the windshield. It happens. That kills people. Lots of people also swerve to avoid and end up going off road. Looks like you go licky and it bounced off the drivers side.Just that front facia will probably run $1000 painted. You are then looking at the fender and maybe even the door. I'd say an east $2500-$3000 as a low amount.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
My buddy got a ticket from the state police for leaving the scene of an accident, and a couple weeks later a bill from the rancher for $700 for the cow.
That just stinks! Would they have been happier if one or both of you had been injured or killed?! ?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well update, noticed I'm going to need a new hood as well. Once it was dried off in the garage this morning I noticed it's creased ever so slightly right where it meets with the fender and headlight in the corner. Not sure if that can be repaired without being replaced

Also, kind of makes me feel better, apparently the deer lived. I didn't see her behind me. Was dark and rainy on back country road. Two coworkers who left about 5 minutes after me saw her sitting on the double yellow. They stopped and said she wasn't bleeding from the mouth or anywhere, didnt have any cuts, and it's legs weren't broken, so they helped her up on all fours, said she seemed dazed but eventually got herself together and ran away. So instead of me hitting her head on, she basically ran full speed into my my car. Probably knocked the wind out of her pretty good. But in my animal loving mind I'm hoping that she's ok. Feel bad that I didn't see her anywhere behind me but glad coworkers helped it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well update, noticed I'm going to need a new hood as well. Once it was dried off in the garage this morning I noticed it's creased ever so slightly right where it meets with the fender and headlight in the corner. Not sure if that can be repaired without being replaced

Also, kind of makes me feel better, apparently the deer lived. I didn't see her behind me. Was dark and rainy on back country road. Two coworkers who left about 5 minutes after me saw her sitting on the double yellow. They stopped and said she wasn't bleeding from the mouth or anywhere, didnt have any cuts, and it's legs weren't broken, so they helped her up on all fours, said she seemed dazed but eventually got herself together and ran away. So instead of me hitting her head on, she basically ran full speed into my my car. Probably knocked the wind out of her pretty good. But in my animal loving mind I'm hoping that she's ok. Feel bad that I didn't see her anywhere behind me but glad coworkers helped it.
Hitting critters sucks.
I tagged 3 seagulls the other day. They were eating something in the freeway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hitting critters sucks.
I tagged 3 seagulls the other day. They were eating something in the freeway.
Ive smacked a few quail scattering out from the high grasses on the side of the road. But SEAGULLS! You got dead fish in the streets or people ahead of you tossing stale bread out the car windows?

·
Registered
374 Posts
OP is lucky! My first deer strike nearly totaled my 3 year old 1972 Pinto. Killed the deer, destroyed the radiator and crushed the battery. Guess I'm lucky it didn't fireball on me. My next strike happened while I was pulling a converted horse trailer behind my F150. The trailer was converted to haul band equipment and was on my way home from playing a gig in a different city. The dumb sh1t deer tried to jump between the truck and trailer. Didn't make it. Bent the fender over the left side tandem wheels on the trailer. I've had many, many close calls riding various motorcycles, and I'm pretty sure it would not have ended well for either of us. (Me or the deer) I came this >| |< close to tagging a pheasant while riding my ZX9 back in the day. I ducked and it went right over the top of me, dragging his feet across my helmet on the way. I had been doing ~60 or so but was hard on the brakes when I went under him.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never seen Seagulls picking at food on the roadway like you do vultures or crows. Usually if they're not at the beach they seem to like to congregate in parking lots. Vultures can be a pain in the butt if they decide to land on an interstate or somewhere with high speed as their takeoff is rather slow.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After 29 days in the collision center, I'm saying bye to the 2020 GLC300 and picking up the Charger this morning.

Will be without the hood stripes for 90 days until the paint cures, so will have a blank black hood for most of the summer.

I am hoping everything is repaired to my level of satisfaction, the shop does great work in past experiences. Hopefully have time to post pictures before work.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the car back, looks good. Not perfect, but I have OCD. Drivers side headlight shines a little brighter because it is brand new, not the bulb, but the crystal clear housing. Paint isn't flawless, but I'm the only one who would notice. Biggest one I'm pouting about is the 392 Hemi badge that was replaced on the drivers side fender isn't lined up with the one on the other side. It sits almost 2 inches lower and about 1 inch to the left. Drives me absolutely nuts. Already ordered 2 new ones and will do that on my own. Window sill (or whatever it's called, the area above the armrest that contains the door handle) doesn't sit flush and even with the window moulding, but that could have been like that and I never knew.

I have the 2 gray hood decals sitting in my bedroom, OEM Mopar replacements at $170/each. Thinking about maybe having a vinyl shop install them in a few months rather than a dealer as I think their patience and attention to detail may get them on there straighter and without air bubbles.

I used to be alright with vinyl about 20 years ago, but an error then didn't cost me $300, so not sure I wanna mess with that. We'll see, I may give it a try.

On the plus, bumper looks 100x better than the old one, the splash guard underneath and in both wheel wells was replaced, mine was cracked, scraped, broken in several places from 7 years of road abuse. Airbox was replaced.

Here's a quick pic.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For your humor, here is my ridiculous level of OCD

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts