Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally took delivery of my 2020 Charger Scat Pack on 9/11, and wanted to provide my first impressions of the car, as well as my experience with the dealership and ordering process.

I started shopping for a Scat Pack back in June, after having driven my friend's SRT 392. Before that, the idea of driving a large, domestic sedan felt a bit strange - didn't really feel like I could pull it off. However, that test drive sealed the deal - I knew I wanted it, and it was just a matter of finding the right one.

With the Power Dollars rebate going on, it felt like an opportune time to buy. I looked all over the country for the right configuration. At first, I was thinking a base model with no options was the way to go, since I got all of the power, looks and performance, at under $40k. However, I had to be honest with myself and ask whether I'd truly be happy with a stripped down car with no options - especially in a few years when I'd still be making payments - would I regret not having the nicer interior, or a sunroof, or better wheels? At the same time, I had to be a little financially prudent, and couldn't get one with every option checked.

Ultimately, I settled on a standard body Scat Pack with the Plus Group, Driver Convenience Group, Dynamic Package, Technology Package, Adaptive Suspension, and Sunroof. I was debating on the dual carbon stripes, but figured I could add those later. I wasn't in love with the wheels that came with the Dynamic Package, but told myself I could swap those out too if I really hated them - the cost of the 6-piston Brembos and the ability to get the adaptive suspension were the things I cared about with the Dynamic Package.

In terms of color, I was really torn. I initially was dead set on F8 Green, and then changed my mind to Frostbite Blue. However, I ultimately went with Go Mango. It wasn't a color I ever thought I would want, but the more and more I saw pictures online, the more convinced I was that it was the right color. Also, we have a blind cat named Mango, who is fat, fast for his size (in a straight line), scrappy, but very lovable - so, it felt kind of fitting.

I worked with my local dealer who agreed to order me one built to spec for 4% below invoice. On top of that, he locked in the Power Dollars Rebate and I got a $1,000 rebate from my credit union. The sticker price was $51,260. I paid $46,956.48, less $5,850 in rebates. Out the door, with CA sales tax (9.25%), I paid $46,177.57. It was more than I had ever spent on a car, but also more car than I've ever had. All in all, I felt it was a fair price. I placed the order on August 3rd, and took deliver on September 11th. The overall process was super smooth. They didn't require any deposit to get the process started, gave me frequent updates along the way, and the first and only time I went in person was to take delivery and sign the papers, and was in and out in 90 min.

Here's a quick cellphone picture - I plan on having it coated with SPS Graphene and the windows tinted shortly. Will post better pics once those things are done.

I've only driven about 250 miles, as it's still within the break-in period. I spent about 2 hours in the car Saturday just trying to rack up miles while my son napped in the back. I did 150 miles, and was surprised at how comfortable and easy they were. I tested out the adaptive cruise, and even the Eco mode. Combined with the lane departure warning, and with the suspension set to Street, this is probably the most comfortable car I've ever driven. In Eco mode, I was even averaging 25-30mpg! Really really impressed with how great this is going to be for daily driving. My son slept soundly nearly the entire time!

In terms of interior fit and finish, it's better than I expected. To be fair, I wasn't expecting much. That said, the Plus Group adds a leatherette covering to the upper dash, so it looks a bit more upscale. Also, the plastic trim surrounding the screen and shifter look like plain silver plastic in pictures, but in person, they are actually textured which seems nicer too. Less prone to fingerprints and smudges at least. The seats with alcantara are also nice, although I still suspect the leather portions will not wear well.

I haven't even had a chance to really delve into the performance of the car yet - hopefully soon. So, the fact that it's so great at doing something that isn't even the main reason why I wanted it was a very pleasant surprise. So, if the car ends up being even remotely as fun as I suspect it will be, I think it will turn out to be a really great value.

So far, really liking the car. More updates to come!

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Congrats on the new Scat! Maybe someday...... I would have been stymied over your color choices, because I like them all! There are members here that drive their Chargers year round, but in SW Ohio where I live, the salt/snow/road chemicals do their best to ruin any car. I hope you can keep it out of the winter, unless of course you live where there is no winter.

Looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Reactions: kyoung05

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the new Scat! Maybe someday...... I would have been stymied over your color choices, because I like them all! There are members here that drive their Chargers year round, but in SW Ohio where I live, the salt/snow/road chemicals do their best to ruin any car. I hope you can keep it out of the winter, unless of course you live where there is no winter.

Looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Thanks! And yea, the color choices were tough - especially without really being able to see any of them in person! That said, I'm really loving the Mango - the Scat Pack doesn't seem like a subtle car, so if it's going to be obnoxiously brash, why not go all in, right? At least that's what I tell myself....and my wife.

I live in California, so fortunately winters really just consist of colder weather and rain.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nice looking car! I do like that Go Mango. Glad everything worked out for you.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Your journey from start to delivery will soon be a thing of the past as you drive it more and enjoy all the features. However, the more you drive it and learn how low it sits you also develop the pucker factor. That's when your butt will pucker up just as you realize you're front end will scrape ground.

It is a nice looking car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! The car looks way better in person and it’s hard to believe this body style has been around as long as it has. It really has presence on the road which is something none of my previous cars has.

I was a bit surprised at how low the front end is, but I’ve been driving lowered cars for a while now so hopefully I’ll keep the scraping to a minimum!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Your journey from start to delivery will soon be a thing of the past as you drive it more and enjoy all the features. However, the more you drive it and learn how low it sits you also develop the pucker factor. That's when your butt will pucker up just as you realize you're front end will scrape ground.

It is a nice looking car.
That's me on a daily basis. Usually followed by a, "son of a *****". Fortunately on my new covet it has (so far) been only the splash guard on the under belly. Prior to Bambi running into my car, the entire bumper cover was scraped underneath. Used probably a whole tube of touch up paint and sandpaper to smooth it out. Couldn't tell from anywhere other than laying on the ground, but still annoying.

Reactions: ONEZ ST

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yes, I have the base suspension with just the Bilstein shocks & springs.
Remember he's got 9.5 inch wide wheels with 275/40/20 on there too so it will look a little different. I love how the Scats sit, I definitely want to put a Scat high performance suspension on my '19 R/T once my stock bits wear out. Just that extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so drop really makes a difference.

Dodge says in literature that the Super Track Pak is supposed to be 1/2 inch lower but it doesn't appear much different to me. Of course they said it would have Bilstien shocks too and they usually have Sachs anyway!

OP really nice looking car, the "new" mango is so much different than the Go Mango 2006 Daytona.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Congrats, I'm envious. I missed the boat in 2020. Had to dump too much in house repairs. Not looking forward to 2021 price increases and the uses market is limited and just retarded.

Would like to know how you went all the way from green to mango. I think the problem is I want one in several colors but that ain't gonna happen with muscle cars.

I'm also not a fan of the pitch black rims. I prefer silver alloy look with some emblems or something to add some visual contrast to the vehicle paint and black rubber.

Switchblade "Ben Hurr" look like on the standard Camaro SS looks good to me. I prefer blue but here's a red closer to yours. Freaking GM has 30+ rim choices.

·
Registered
62 Posts
CONGRATS on your new ride! The overall package delivered by these cars really is surprisingly good. Long road trips, creature comforts, power, packaging, styling, ergonomics, all really a pleasurable place to be and drive. Keep us updated with your journey through modding and such if you plan to do so. I would recommend a catch can immediately.

2007 SRT8 Charger (SOLD)
2012 SRT8 Challenger Yellow Jacket (SOLD)
2017 Hellcat Challenger (SOLD)
2014 Ram Hemi 1500 4x4 (CURRENT)
2007 SRT8 Charger SuperBee #779 (CURRENT)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts