Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Tommy Z Hood #59! I know there are a couple of people on here who haven't been happy with his customer service but there are a lot more that have had a good experience with him and I'm one of them. I have to say he's been great to deal with. He's always been timely getting back to me and has answered a million questions. When I finally decided to place my order he said he would have one ready to ship by the end of the week. It didn't ship that Friday because of the July 4th holiday but it shipped on Monday just like he said it would. I haven't seen it yet because I had it shipped directly to the body shop but they said it's the best quality fiberglass hood they've ever seen.

Which brings me to my problem. I called around and got some ballpark estimates at body shops with the understanding we would firm up an estimate once they saw the hood. Well I chose a body shop that estimated $492 without the fenders blended. Now that they've seen the hood they said it will need 4 hours of prep before paint which they didn't estimate & the price is up to $668. Keep in mind they said it was the best quality fiberglass hood they've ever seen. So I told them it was getting to be a lot more than I thought it would be & said I would pick it up from them. He said that's fine & he wouldn't charge anything for receiving it. Wow... thanks. So now I have to figure out a way to pick it up & drive it around for estimates because I don't think it will fit in the back of my Pathfinder. Anyone else think this is way too high? I talked to Tommy Z & he said it was way too high. He said he charges $350 to do them.

Anyway, I'll post pics as soon as I pick up the hood. Anyone in the Louisville, KY area know a good body shop?

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Sounds too high to me. I paid $375 to get mine painted. Although I'm going to have to go back and get it blended. Paint just doesn't match right.

·
Registered
964 Posts
that is way too much.. they should charger you around 325-375. 400 the most. get some more estimates from different shops

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds too high to me. I paid $375 to get mine painted. Although I'm going to have to go back and get it blended. Paint just doesn't match right.
Yeah, he also said a good body shop shouldn't need to blend the fenders. But I would think your color would be one of the hardest to match. I think black would be one of the easiest.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
that is way to high, especially in KY...... most of the suppliers i have for some parts that we need to source out for in order to manufacture some of our items.. KY seems to have the lowest price on anything compared to other states... just some advice, when you pull up to a place, dont be flossin with high dollar flashy gear... i myself sometimes base pricing on just how a person is dressed.... and never ask obvious questions either as that tells them you dont know much... walk in and tell them what you want done, not what they suggest... 300is about the most i'd pay with prep, paint and cleared, installed for a FG hood.... but on the same note, i hear those tommy z hoods come with metal name plates and all those little things and thus look top of the line.. so maybe they think you got a high dollar piece and are just simply just charging you accordingly to their backwoods mentality and comparing the costs of OEM items not knowing these really are less.... hell for 600bucks you could get you own base line paint sprayer, air compressor and a gallon of not so primo paint and all the coordinating supplies and still be under 600.. of course thats with you doing the labor but hey look at it like this. atleast you will have the tools for anything else you want painted in the future.. just practice on some junk panels and while your at it, practice with a rusty piece and fill in holes and all that, sand smooth after filler and all that... i mean look at me, im rather young and i can do just about anything simply because i carry myself well and have confidence in myself.. and always try to atleast attempt somethine before i shell out a nickel.. of course i have learned from some the best, guys i work with and they even agree that confidence goes along way and also can be smelt even farther away.... marinade on that a little.... you can do it, and if not your not comfy now then thats understandable.. but just keep that in mind... i try and do all my own work and will rarely ever pay for something im totally capable of doing myself... and with the proper tools, you can!!!

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
If you were gonna be OK with spending the almost-$500 without the blending, I'd be OK with the blending adding the $176 they're adding ...

I'd just do it ... they already have it in their possession ... have them do the hood then drop off the car for one day for the blending ...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you were gonna be OK with spending the almost-$500 without the blending, I'd be OK with the blending adding the $176 they're adding ...

I'd just do it ... they already have it in their possession ... have them do the hood then drop off the car for one day for the blending ...
They're not adding $176 to blend. This is still without blending. They just added 4 hours of prep before paint. When I got the original estimate I had them do a second in case it didn't match & we had to blend the fenders. That was an additional $367 to blend also.

Based on what everybody is saying I should be in the $300-$400 range. I'm definitely picking up the hood & getting more estimates.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
They're not adding $176 to blend. This is still without blending. They just added 4 hours of prep before paint. When I got the original estimate I had them do a second in case it didn't match & we had to blend the fenders. That was an additional $367 to blend also.

Based on what everybody is saying I should be in the $300-$400 range. I'm definitely picking up the hood & getting more estimates.
Oh ..... I got that wrong then ... :rolleyes2:

Yeah, pick it up soon ...

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Yeah, he also said a good body shop shouldn't need to blend the fenders. But I would think your color would be one of the hardest to match. I think black would be one of the easiest.
The guy that did my hood showed me 20 different shades of Plum Crazy that he mixed. And there are a whole bunch more I'm sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not defending the bodyshop here but why don't you just tell them to skip the prep work and just scuff, seal, base and clear the hood. That way when you pick it up and it doesn't fit the hole and is wavyer (if that's a word) than you like, you have nobody to ***** to but yourself. Just a quick estimate in my head, 5.5 hours to paint both sides, 1.0 to wetsand and buff, 1.0 to install. 7.5 x $48 per hour + 5.5 x $28 for paint and material. Total = $514. No I'm not trollihg for work.

As far as not blending the fenders just read ChargerChick's post, pretty sure she's sorry it wasn't done the first time. Really no need to blend the fascia cause they don't match from the factory.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not defending the bodyshop here but why don't you just tell them to skip the prep work and just scuff, seal, base and clear the hood. That way when you pick it up and it doesn't fit the hole and is wavyer (if that's a word) than you like, you have nobody to ***** to but yourself. Just a quick estimate in my head, 5.5 hours to paint both sides, 1.0 to wetsand and buff, 1.0 to install. 7.5 x $48 per hour + 5.5 x $28 for paint and material. Total = $514. No I'm not trollihg for work.

As far as not blending the fenders just read ChargerChick's post, pretty sure she's sorry it wasn't done the first time. Really no need to blend the fascia cause they don't match from the factory.
9 out of 10 people I asked on here paid $300-$400 and have no issues with the quality of work. The estimates I'm getting locally from other shops now are also in that range. And they're not [email protected] the job either. Have to go with my gut on this one and it was screaming "You're getting hosed. Pick up the hood!"

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
I am sorry. I had no idea that it wasn't going to match. I just assumed that when I brought it in, the finished product would match perfectly. It does not. :(

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
the reason for the paint not matching up perfectly for those of you that are confused as to as of why... well they are 2 different materials and the paint sets up differently against plastic or fiberglass than it does against metal or aluminum.... and i dont see why these places are charging a lot more the blend them.. i mean its not like they are repainting the whole fenders all over again or the parts you want blended like if you needed a door repainted or something and has to blend it in with the other surrounding parts.. all they do to achieve this, is they just spray a little bit more here and there to create a visual vortex.. so it appears to all be the same color when in all reality, all it is, is just a few quick extra sprays along the upper or outermost portion of the part being blended in... the human eye can only see so much to an extent. under a different lighting or with a camera and special filters you would be able to see exactly where the darker and lighter spots are at..........

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just to clarify MCB's post. When a adjacent panel is "blended", in this case fenders. the fenders have to be sanded, scuffed completely, emblems removed if applicable, base color blended and cleared completely plus the wetsand and buff.

If the base color and clear are both blended in the middle of the panel you will see the blend if not immediately sometime in the future. The oem surface is to hard to melt the blend in successfully. You can wipe down a OEM paint finish with a rag full of thinner and it won't harm it.

With that being said blended panels only pay .9 to 1.5 hours. Good for the customer, bad for the painter. Try doing that in the allotted time and make a living.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
im no painter, but i think what you are saying is basically a total re-spray osh... i was meaning that all that isnt needed to blend properly.. i wouldnt think the beginning paint would need to be sanded down to bare... im saying that all they need to do is hit the outermost portion with a few extra sprays of the same paint mixture of the other part you are painting... thus creating a visual vortex...

or maybe i misunderstood your post

·
Registered
113 Posts
Correct MCB, no need to sand to bare and start over. It just make sense though to do the hood and fenders at the same time. What I do is prep the hood and fenders, mask off the rest of the car. Then mask off the fenders so it's like double masked. Shoot the hood till you get the correct coverage, unmask the fenders and shoot the hood and tops of fenders with the color one more time. Clear hood and fenders. Since the fenders already have color on them normally only one coat of base is needed depending on color. Just a fyi, even to much clear can cause off color issues.

Hope all this makes sense. I'm a do'er not a teacher.

I hope ChargerChicks fender blend works out without doing the hood again. But gun setup, air pressure and skill of the painter can cause colors to not match on the money.

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Thanks Osh...I hope so too. But I have a feeling it's gonna have to all be painted again. :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As promised...

It will look much better painted and on the car rather than my garage floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm trying to decide if I want to leave the vents open or put the functional Challenger bezels in. Anyone with a Z hood know if they'll fit with the ductwork under the hood. I know they have that small 90 degree turn down & I don't know if this will put them in contact with the ductwork.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts