Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about cleaning my Leather/Suede seats in my R/T Road and Track but i've been thinking that for the better part of TWO YEARS, lol. I've had my car 2 years and bought Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner shortly after I got my car...the thing is i've NEVER used it. I've never used it because my leather on the seats is as smooth as the day I got my car and I figured why bother using a leather cleaner/conditioner if the Leather is in great shape.

I mean it's literally as soft as the first day I got the car. So my question is really whether or not there is any benefit to treating the leather even though it feels perfect now?

Also, I was wondering what most of you suggest for the "suede" portion of the seats? That too looks like brand new (i'm a neat freak and take really good care of my stuff) so never got a stain or anything anywhere in my car...fortunately.

Any reason though I should clean the leather AND/OR suede even though it's in super condition right now?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well the "Leather" on your Road and Track seats is not really leather, it is vinyl and the suede is actually microfiber so if you are going to put anything on the seats I'd recommend getting products for that material.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mojo, where did you find that info? There's no way that can be correct...I know the feeling of Leather vs. Vinyl...and if my seats are Vinyl then I'm the pope. No way dude. Not to mention I remember getting my car there were actual pamphlets ATTACHED TO MY SEATS that I had to remove that stated not only were the seats leather there were the HIGHEST GRADE OF LEATHER. I don't remember the entire details of the pamphlets but my seats are identical to those of the SRT's, only they say "RT" vs. "SRT"......

where are you getting that crazy info?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use the Meguiers leather conditioner/cleaner on mine. I wipe them down with a damp cloth and dry them first. Of course My wife drives it everyday and is in and out alot. The suede I have used OXY Clean on it a few times.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mojo, where did you find that info? There's no way that can be correct...I know the feeling of Leather vs. Vinyl...and if my seats are Vinyl then I'm the pope. No way dude. Not to mention I remember getting my car there were actual pamphlets ATTACHED TO MY SEATS that I had to remove that stated not only were the seats leather there were the HIGHEST GRADE OF LEATHER. I don't remember the entire details of the pamphlets but my seats are identical to those of the SRT's, only they say "RT" vs. "SRT"......

where are you getting that crazy info?
The daytona and the R/T Road/Track have (this is from the sales book) Seating- Premium vinyl-trim with suede microfiber inserts. SRT has leather-trim with suede microfiber inserts. I had to correct my salesman.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The daytona and the R/T Road/Track have (this is from the sales book) Seating- Premium vinyl-trim with suede microfiber inserts. SRT has leather-trim with suede microfiber inserts. I had to correct my salesman.
x2 might look n feel like leather..but R/T r&t n daytona's are in fact premium vinyl...SRT is leather.. base R/T is leather

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to be defensive, because my seats are so damn comfortable, I could care less if they were made out of twinkie filling. Not to mention they are holding up like BRAND NEW 2 YEARS in and counting.....but there is no way these are vinyl.

I think some people may of gotten DUPED but I have the ORIGINAL MSRP STICKER WITH OPTIONS that I saved in my Charger file that I just pulled. Under "Standard Equipment, INTERIOR FEATURES" it specifically says
LEATHER-TRIMMED SEATS
LEATHER TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS
8-WAY POWER DRIVER'S SEAT

Then further over on the right hand side under "OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT"..which by the way I CHOOSE TO GET it specifically says "PERF. SEATS W/ PREFERRED SUEDE & ACCENT STITCHING"
It specifically says "LEATHER"....AND "SUEDE"...so essentially what is being said is that DCX is FALSE ADVERTISING? No way....this would of been a much bigger issue by many others if this were the case. I think maybe some of the non ROAD AND TRACK cars may of come with VINYL or Microfiber but my seats not only feel like leather as I already stated, they had a pamphlet attached to seach of them when I bought the car that I had to cut with a scissor that stated not only were they leather, but that they were one of the "highest grades" of leather there is. It went on to describe the Leather. I was actually gonna keep those pamhplets too but decided not to. I wish I did just so I could write exactly what they stated.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on this, but as I said, i'm looking directly at the original STICKER I retained off my car and it clearly says LEATHER and SUEDE and I quoted EXACTLY as listed on my original STICKER. I have no problems scanning and uploading my original sticker. I just want to make sure people get their info correct so others aren't confused reading this.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
u have n 09 charger?? they my have changed it for the new model.. i know for 07 base R/T has premium leather but for R/T r&t, and daytona it was vinyl.. i have the brochure sittin right here...so i cant speak for 09,10...
:beerchug:no matter one way or other, i just use maguires fine leather wipes to clean my seats moisterizes at the same time..witch was your ? in the first place..no idea what to use on the perf. swede though ...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alberni,

as I mentioned I have had my car for 2 years now, it's an '07, not 09 or 2010. If you read my posts above I never doubted for a minute that my seats were leather and suede...the suede I guess I could of bought but not the Vinyl over Leather. I've seen GREAT vinyl fakes on couches and I can still tell they are vinyl not Leather....my seats smell, look feel and are leather and unless someone can show otherwise, I didn't doubt it.

I did get curious if "some" models were this vinyl being referred to as 3 different people all claimed it to be true. Not sure where 3 different people get their info from or if some models did in fact have vinyl...if so, that would royally suck for some.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And just for fun, more reassurance of the REAL LEATHER...this is exactly what the Pamphlet said attached to my seats when I got the car.

"PREMIUM BRAND LEATHER
GENUINE ENJOYMENT:
This new vehicle is equipped with genuine leather seating surfaces. The supple feel, rich aroma, and prestigious appearance of leather seating will enhance your driving experience for years to come. Leather's natural markings attest to its authenticity.
Every wrinkle, healed scar, and variation is conclusive proof of the natural origin of this quality leather. Please follow the care & cleaning recommendation below to ensure years of driving pleasure.
CARE INSTRUCTIONS
The natural beauty of the leather is best preserved by routine cleaning with a damp soft cloth taking care not to soak the leather. Small particles of dirt can be abrasive & damaging to leather surfaces & should be removed promptly.
Do not use saddle soap, polishes, oils, cleaning fluids, solvents, detergents, or ammonia based cleaners as they may be detrimental to the leather's natural finish. Stubborn soils can be removed easily with MOPAR Total Clean developed exclusively for your leather interior. This mild cleaner will gently clean & maintain the natural beauty of the leather. No conditioner is needed. With proper care & cleaning, this leather should retain its luster throughout the life of the vehicle.
Your leather is manufactured with pride by SETON Automotive Leather Couture."
PREMIUM LEATHER, NATURAL LEATHER, GENUINE LEATHER.

All that stated right there on the STICKER AND PAMPHLET attached to the seats, but some should believe what people "claim" and go with the fact that the seats are Vinyl......this is good stuff...lol

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Its not genuine leather, but whaterver dude! I know its a synthetic leather product. Do your research. :driving:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just got my build sheet from Chrysler the other day and it says:

Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats

Leather Wrapped Shift Knob

Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel

Surprisingly doesn't say anything about the suede seat inserts...Which is a little perturbing, but oh well. And I remember those tags on my seats as well and I remember thinking "Well ain't that some BS". Did I just buy a Mercedes, BMW or JAG? Genuine leather I doubt, but I will agree that it is synthetic leather which in all reality I probably couldn't tell the difference since I don't own one of the aforementioned vehicles. Then again, I don't work for chrysler so I can't really say with any certainty one way or the other. Either way I think it's leather not vinyl.

By the way, if my seats are microfiber, can I take them out and use them to dry my car? It seems cheaper than buying a bunch of towels! :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
teez,

in YOUR case and apparently others cases there is no mention of the leather or suede seats....in my particular case THERE IS. Forget the pamplhet on the seats, how would one explain the leather specification on the actual STICKER?

From DCX' website it appears that at least the 2009 models use a synthetic leather/vinyl, but that said nothing about that on my particular car (2007). As mentioned, due to the economy, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

And as I also said, I could care less really what the seats are made out of as they are excellent to say the least. The point NOW is having actual FACTS that state GENUINE, REAL, NATURAL LEATHER SEATS the same with the SUEDE, vs. some people's alleged "claims" that all these models have VINYL.

Looks like some people got duped with the vinyl, especially in the last year or so....but man, at least post CORRECT FACTS.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
teez,

in YOUR case and apparently others cases there is no mention of the leather or suede seats....in my particular case THERE IS. Forget the pamplhet on the seats, how would one explain the leather specification on the actual STICKER?

From DCX' website it appears that at least the 2009 models use a synthetic leather/vinyl, but that said nothing about that on my particular car (2007). As mentioned, due to the economy, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

And as I also said, I could care less really what the seats are made out of as they are excellent to say the least. The point NOW is having actual FACTS that state GENUINE, REAL, NATURAL LEATHER SEATS the same with the SUEDE, vs. some people's alleged "claims" that all these models have VINYL.

Looks like some people got duped with the vinyl, especially in the last year or so....but man, at least post CORRECT FACTS.
I guess your right, its leather...happy? :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
The reason those "tags" were put on all the Charger seats that were not cloth is that you care for the Synthetic leather the same as real leather. Also, the prefered seats (synthetic leather/vinyl blend) with microfiber inserts were on all Daytonas and Road & Track Chargers from 2006 to 2009. No real animal skins were used for the seat protions. Oh, and if you read the window sticker, it says on the standard options "Unless replaced with optional items" or something like that. So, the Charger R/T window sticker will say leather seating but that is replaced with the 'Preferred seats with microfiber inserts" on the Road and Track or Daytonas. Enjoy! :driving:

·
Registered
312 Posts
The reason those "tags" were put on all the Charger seats that were not cloth is that you care for the Synthetic leather the same as real leather. Also, the prefered seats (synthetic leather/vinyl blend) with microfiber inserts were on all Daytonas and Road & Track Chargers from 2006 to 2009. No real animal skins were used for the seat protions. Oh, and if you read the window sticker, it says on the standard options "Unless replaced with optional items" or something like that. So, the Charger R/T window sticker will say leather seating but that is replaced with the 'Preferred seats with microfiber inserts" on the Road and Track or Daytonas. Enjoy! :driving:
X2. But to the real point of this thread, is the Meguiars stuff the best stuff to use on the leather or vinyl seats?

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
X2. But to the real point of this thread, is the Meguiars stuff the best stuff to use on the leather or vinyl seats?

LOL, Was that the point? I would say that yes, you can use anything you would use on real leather, on the R & T and Daytona seats. Just read the bottle. I heard that the Mopar interior/seat stuff is the best though. Keep them clean and conditioned and you should have years of happy seating.
:bigthumb:

:driving:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
"Preferred Suede" = microfiber. Clean 'em with a damp rag, same as you would furniture. Not getting into the vinyl vs. leather discussion. But the cleaning methods are the same. Tread as lightly as possible to be effective in what ever it is you are cleaning, is a pretty good rule of thumb.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts