Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tomorrow I am going to the dealer to test drive a used 07 SRT8 with about 4k miles on. They're probably going to try and sell it for about $35k or somewhere in the ballpark. I'm not sure exactly what they have in the vehicle, but I'll find that out tomorrow.

My quandry is this: Should I wait out and get the 08 RT w/ R/t. It'll be about $35100 with my employee discount (thanks dad!).

I don't have a garage to put either in, and although it's still an SRT8, it'd be used and some weird logic makes me think it's ok to not have a garage, but whatever.

The lifetime powertrain warranty on the 08 is pretty hard to beat for the big Hemi, if anything were to ever go wrong with it.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
You should be able to do better than that on a used SRT8. Also, an R/T with R&T PLUS the discount is probably a few grand cheaper than $35k once you're finished with all the haggling.

Best,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No haggling with employee pricing.... one of the reasons I love it. I did forget that there will also be a $1500 incentive, at least.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
If you have the opportunity to buy an SRT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT!!!
Do not settle for the R/T for a few pennies or dollars less, as you will eventually come across an SRT which will make you instantly regret your decision. This forum is littered with those who have regretted their decision and upgraded (at great personal expense) to the SRT. You can modify the R/T to somewhat approximate the SRT (not completely) for way more than the cost difference between the two. If you can get a new (2007, ok - 4k miles not even broken in yet, prolly a dealer car) SRT for $35k, jump on that deal like a starving squirrel fighting for the last peanut on earth. Get them to $33k. Take a test drive in both in autostick mode. Drive about 60mph in 3rd in the SRT, then drop her into 2nd and floor it. Papers on the SRT will be signed on the way back to the dealership.
You will thank me later. In fact, once you get your SRT (the right choice) PM me and let me know how you feel about the car. Or simply post on the SRT portion of these Charger forums.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'd go with the SRT if you can afford it, had I not found my Daytona while looking for a Charger I would have gotten an SRT eventually.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
if the srt8 is within a few thousand dollars of a new r/t even with only 4k miles. the choice is so far beyond obvious. the srt.

you can mod a new r/t r&t up to a new srt performance (notice i said new on both) for less than what youd pay for an srt(new). however. you can mod that srt for less than what ud mod an r/t for and blow it outta the water.

get the srt.
you will hang yourself in a bathroom in 2 months if you dont.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the SRT... It was the first Charger I test drove. It's a matter of practicality though. Completely not needed for city driving. I know it drives great, and I know it's a hot ass car, but the waranty is a pretty big deal.

Is it a sin to get an SRT without a garage to store it in?

I know some bastards are going to try and steal the sucker. I've gotta research some nice anti theft systems.

The RT made me hate driving the crown vics at work.... the SRT is going to make it even worse, :tongue:

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Most of what dude said is true. except the fact that an R/T can be made close to SRT performance for equal to the price difference. The Brembo brakes (standard in Ferrari) are $3,000.00. That's one upgrade. then the hotchkiss uneven anti-sway bars, at least $2k. Then the engine cylinders bored out .3 mm from the 5.7 - plus stouter heads and sodium filled intake/exhaust valve rods to dissapate heat. Then wider exhaust (2.75, I believe) with tuned tips. Plus 14" rotors (see Brembos). Reinforced everything to withstand 10.3-1 compression. Then let's talk heated leather (sport bolstered) seats and mirrors, and everything else that comes with top end vehicles. i could go on, but the demon vodka prevents it.
SRT stock at the track will do low 13's (with heated leather seats fully engaged), and even high 12's for those that know how to drive. You will garner attention from all that see you - even from Porsches and Vettes. And you can hang with most of them.
Your choice.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
what most people dont consider about breaks is this.
the only thing a bigger brake does is prevent brake fade from too much heat.

which means when u use your brakes a lot.

all cars these days can lock their bakes up as easy as one another. what it comes down to is your TIRES. TIRES. TIRES. not brakes. its your tires ability to stop you so long as your brake pressure is the same. which is easily attainable on a CIVIC as it is on an SRT.

as i said, a bigger break only lets you break hard in succession without losing stopping power.

road and trakc system has a very. VERY nice suspension system as compared to a regular r/t. however obviously not srt quality.

road and track seats are godly. are they the same as srt? i think, but not sure.

im on some tequila now. so. yea. aint vodka tho ;)

heads/cam/exhaust/chip/cai is what it takes to compete with an SRT on an r/t

new vs new is like 35k vs over 40k easy. ****, even more.

these mods alone cost 5-6k about.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just a thought. If you are going to use it for work again, does MCPD pay for gas? If not that's something you might want to think about. I'm not sure how often you use it for UC work but may be worth a thought. Also, although its hard to blend a Charger in, its really hard to blend and SRT in. Again just a few thoughts. If none of these things matter go for the SRT.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I drove both when I bought my srt. To me both were nice especially the Daytona(very nice). But I knew.... I knew i would regret not getting the SRT.
Stuff like that keeps me up at night.... second guessing myself.
And Dude... the brakes are sweet. they stop great and people who know about cars give this car the respaect it deserves and Brembos are a nice part of the package. Tell me you don't dig seeing them rotors through the wheels while she's moving.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
what most people dont consider about breaks is this.
the only thing a bigger brake does is prevent brake fade from too much heat.

which means when u use your brakes a lot.

heads/cam/exhaust/chip/cai is what it takes to compete with an SRT on an r/t

new vs new is like 35k vs over 40k easy. ****, even more.

these mods alone cost 5-6k about.
I wouldn't downplay the brakes on the SRT too much. They are definitely a worthy upgrade. There are too many examples of non-SRTs venturing above the 100mph's, and incurring brake fade, warped roters, etc.... The SRTs were designed to take abuse (abuse = daily driving to SRTers). :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, I'm thinking I might consider another option now as well. I might drive my dad's deathmobile, a 1996 chrysler concorde (on its way off this earth) for a few months, save some of the extra money for the car payment (which was ($522 per month) and revisit the 08 versus the 07 SRT.

Yeah I'm going to use the car at work, no they don't pay for gas all the time, and I did think about the fact that an SRT stands out more.

I still haven't heard anyone's thoughts on the lifetime powertrain warranty though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts