Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people have a million opinions on tires but I was wondering whats the majority of the SRT world using? What are the best tires for grip, wear, and wet traction? Thanks...

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I am going with the Vredesteins when my F1s wear out!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've had the Invos and they are good (I have a Daytona w/ 20s, not an SRT). The Nitto 555s are also recommended (not as radical a tread, and more reliable in my opinion). The Vredesteins were all-the-rage for awhile, but I heard they were discontinued (maybe that was just 'temporary' - from what I see in the threads before me).

Only complaints about the Invos (they really are a good tire) is the blockiness of the outer tread (there are 'bands' of different patterns) can be felt when running at slower speeds, and the inch-wide 'solid' band sometimes grabs onto defects in the road during turning, causing the car to 'grab' when it should be 'sliding'. Also, the tire pressure is very important with them... try to keep it between 32 and 34 psi for best all-around performance. Because the tread is 'banded' you don't want too-little or too-much pressure. The entire tread needs to stay in contact with the road, and these tires work best within a smaller pressure band (32-34 psi worked best for me).

FYI - the Invos lasted me about 18k miles before I needed to replace them. If I had been careful with them they might have lasted twice as long, but you 'have' to let your Charger be 'bad' sometimes :driving:

Currently - I switched over to the Hankook 'Ventus V12 evo' tires. They are summer-only tires, but since I live in Florida... they are 'better' for here, and I get the benefit of extreme wet-and-dry traction (they stick like glue to the road). I used to be able to 'roast' my Invos in 1st and 2nd (no brakes applied), but with the Hankooks I can bearly break free unless I use the brake. I love 'em (best tire I've had so far, great price, and lasting much longer).

FYI... I just checked the Hankook site, and the Ventus V12 evo has a 50$ rebate on until Nov 30th, 2009 !!!

Hankook makes some passenger tire that's all-season rated, and it appears to have a tread similar to the Nitto 555s. I've heard good things about these too. I'm just not sure it comes in decent sizes for 20-inch rims.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the hankook V12 evos on my SRT as well. I agree with the above post that they stick like glue...
The rears are almost gone and Im trying to decide to replace them with the same (very satisfied with these tires) or Invos.

BTW, how much are you guys getting the evos for? My local place is $128 in 245/45/20

·
Registered
9 Posts
My vote is on the Vredesteins. Amazing tire. My son put a set of the 275/40's on his 300 SRT. Huge difference from the junk that was on there. The car feels planted in the twisties and smooth. Straight line traction? How's a 1.88 60' (just last week) grab ya? Wear seems to be good so far.

The Ultrac Sessantas are a 3 season tire though there is an all weather version. Can't vouch for those.

I'm going with the Vreds on Plum as soon as I can't stand the all season RSA's that came on it anymore. Anybody interested in a set of all season RSA's with less than 3400 miles on them let me know. I'll jump into a set now. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do 275/40's change the speedo reading at all? Or is this pretty much a stock diameter all around? 4 wheels rotations on this beast sound sweet for getting an extra 5-6000mi out of set of tires.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
My speedometer is off by like 1 or 2 mph now. It's not noticeable but if it bugs you the predator can reset your speedo for any rim or tire size you can fit on the car.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Vreds. Most Invo users who have switched dont plan to switch back. I cant speak the Others, but have done both the Invos and now on my second set of Vreds, after running a set of Nitto NT05s, which wore out too fast for my taste, about 15-16K.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally Posted by VicReschke0626>
Do 275/40's change the speedo reading at all?
Not enough to be concerned with. They are only a half of a mm smaller.;

Overall Height;
245/45 R 20 : 28.68" (728.50mm)
275/40 R 20 : 28.66" (728.00 mm)
Difference : -0.02" (-0.50mm)

That means the speedo will read .05 mph high @ 70mph, 140.10 mph @ 140, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Vreds here and No, that was Germany, the Denmark made ones are still being pumped out!!

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Nitto Invos on my SRT. Nitto 420's on my wife's R/T. When my Invos wear out I'll be going with 420,s myself. Great traction wet or dry.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A lot of us run Toyo Proxes 4 and are very happy with them. I've always held Yokohamas in high regard and they make a Prads Spec-X that fits our car, but I don't know anyone running them. Honestly the Toyos have been so good, and they have a little winter capability that I need that I'll probably get another set once the snow starts to fly again this fall. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Any tire you go to from the F1 that actually comes in our size is a significant downgrade in the dry handling department. The good point is that most of them offer wet weather improvement over the F1.

Chrysler really screwed us by using these off-sizes for the tires without working with tire manufacturers to come up with a better wet road tire than the POS RS-As.

That leaves you with the choices of going with mediocre brands like Nitto or Vredesteins or you can go with tires that were designed for SUVs. The best tire for this car would be the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. It is an outstanding all season high performance tire that is available with high enough load ratings for this car. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS and Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season are also good tires.

Instead we get all these mediocre, 2nd rank brand tires.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I went with the Vreds on mine in spring of 2009 and haven't had any issues, as a daily driver, in the rain, or at the track. I haven't done snow with them yet, but my guess is that due to the tread pattern it should do better than the F1s.

Maybe a teeny hint of extra road noise, but then again those F1s were so bald that any tread would make more noise.

* Plum Crazy for Vredestein Ultrac SUV Sessanta 275/40/20 106Y Tires
* Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 275/40/20 106Y January 2009 Prices

One word of warning to R/T owners, the Vred 275/40/20 will -NOT- fit on SRT8 wheels on an R/T. Not with spacers, not with pacers, not with a fox, not in a box. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts