Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been running the original stock eagle RSA 245’s on my scat pack. I’m looking now to upgrade to 275’s on just the rear. Will the 275 tires fit on the 245 wheels without issues? Is this a good idea? What kind of 275s would y’all recommend as an all purpose tire? (I keep hearing get Nittos for the rear). Also I live in Illinois and drive my cat year round. Please help.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I’ve been running the original stock eagle RSA 245’s on my scat pack. I’m looking now to upgrade to 275’s on just the rear. Will the 275 tires fit on the 245 wheels without issues? Is this a good idea? What kind of 275s would y’all recommend as an all purpose tire? (I keep hearing get Nittos for the rear). Also I live in Illinois and drive my cat year round. Please help.
I wouldn't put 275's on the narrower rims. You really want to have 9.5" width rims for 275's.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
1,122 Posts
Well, if you drive in much snow, the thinner the better. For dry traction, the wider the better. Considering your question, save your money and go with the 245's.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You won't have any issue putting 275s in back on the 20x9 wheel but I probably wouldn't stagger them. If you are set on 275 put them all around so you can rotate front to back.

Also if I was you I'd get aftermarket 18x8 wheels and winter tires for use from now until April and then put real summer tires on for April thru October. Then you get the best of both worlds and the most grip at any time of year. The only iffy time is the couple weeks before you make the switch twice a year.

If you go all season all the time you have 52 weeks of compromise...

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,282 Posts
You won't have any issue putting 275s in back on the 20x9 wheel but I probably wouldn't stagger them. If you are set on 275 put them all around so you can rotate front to back.

Also if I was you I'd get aftermarket 18x8 wheels and winter tires for use from now until April and then put real summer tires on for April thru October. Then you get the best of both worlds and the most grip at any time of year. The only iffy time is the couple weeks before you make the switch twice a year.

If you go all season all the time you have 52 weeks of compromise...
As much as I agree with you on all your points I also disagree on some.
Saying All season's are a compromise is not really true. Lets take the DWS06 tire , they are by far one of the very best tires you can buy for our car. It's a high performance tire thats all season. It performs very well in the Summer heat, excellent in rainy conditions and run through the snow very well. You are right that dedicated snow tires are a better choice but a better choice if you get heavy snow. Dedicated summer tires are only better IF you do a lot of track style driving and or have perfect road surfaces to drive on. They however are not a comfortable to drive on as they typically drive harder and wear out much faster.
We had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on our Audi S4. They handled very well but road harsh and wasn't the best tire in the rain. Moved to a all season in the Continental DWS06 and they handle IMO just as good as the Summer 4S but ride better more comfortable and rain is night and day. Not to mention around here we barely get snow and last year we got a total of about 3 inches all season. Don't know what this year will bring but in light snow the All season DWS06 tires are amazing.
With the factory 20x9 inch wheels, are they all the same offset over the last few years? I'm wondering if the front going 275 width will rub? I so agree with you about rotating your tires and not going with different sizes front and back but I'm curious on who has done this with no issues.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Well yes if you want a grand touring tire that is quiet and gets 80,000 mile warranty it won't be grippy so that is a compromise too.

What I was saying is that a good summer tire on average will outperform a good all season when you're talking summer weather. Just like a good winter tire will outperform a good all season tire in the winter/cold. Can you find a cheap Chinese summer tires that is $107 each that is actually worse than a $325 a tire all season tire in Summer... sure probably. You might even find a good all season that isn't much worse than a cheapo winter tire too...

But if you're getting a good high quality summer tire it will stop shorter and offer more lateral grip (while also being as good or better in the rain) than a good all season tire. And we aren't talking about "race" tires here the modern summer tire has full tread depth and sheds rain very well. You don't need to be on "perfect" roads with them they will out perform the all season on normal pot holed pavement too!

Just because you aren't wringing your car out on a track doesn't mean you won't benefit from better stopping distance and more grip when it comes to emergency maneuvers. Same goes for winter tires... just because you won't always need all that grip believe me when you come up to that stop sign at the bottom of a hill you'll be glad you didn't slide into the intersection and be glad you could make a right turn on red on a cold rainy day too.

If you haven't driven a dedicated summer and winter tire maybe you don't realize what you are leaving on the table with an all season. Tire technology is great and there are some fantastic all season tires out there but tire technology marches on for summer and winter tires too and they are the best in their respective seasons.

It is a hassle to change tires or wheels and tires but once you drive an LX on winter tires when it is cold or snowy or icy/slushy you won't ever want to go back believe me! You feel like you own the road and the ability of the car to put the power down, turn and stop is like a Spring day.

All that being said I too settle and compromise, I don't spend $330 a tire on Super Sports when I can get 90-95% of the performance for $180 a tire and also get more treadwear too. The winter tire thing is such a clear safety thing that I'm always going to use them and going 18 inch makes it very affordable. I keep my cars long enough that I will be replacing the summer and winter set more than once so the overall cost isn't much difference but the safety is way better.

Reactions: Mantis

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
With the factory 20x9 inch wheels, are they all the same offset over the last few years? I'm wondering if the front going 275 width will rub?
The 20x9 LX wheels (between 2005 and 2020) are traditionally 25.5 mm offset with the exception of the WRT wheels which were 18.5 or 19.2 (mostly 19.2) and there is a current wheel coded WRP that goes on 2020 Daytonas (like the WRT went on 2017-2019 Daytonas) that is 19.7 mm offset.

As far as I know the 275 should fit fine on the SRT/Scat spindle on OEM 20x9... it did in the 2006-2010 cars for sure. Now some 275 tires are much wider than others so that could be a factor.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't put 275's on the narrower rims. You really want to have 9.5" width rims for 275's.
Why do you say this?

I've been researching this a lot on this forum, and you've said it a lot versus most others who say it is fine.

I need to replace my stock 245s on my 2017 SP, so I am needing to make this decision very soooooon! (Down to 2/32!!)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Why do you say this?

I've been researching this a lot on this forum, and you've said it a lot versus most others who say it is fine.

I need to replace my stock 245s on my 2017 SP, so I am needing to make this decision very soooooon! (Down to 2/32!!)
The offset is different between the 9 and the 9.5. You can run 275 on the rear no prob but I wouldn't run 275 on the front of the 9 with that offset, and neither would Dodge. But its obviously your choice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
273 Posts
The offset is different between the 9 and the 9.5. You can run 275 on the rear no prob but I wouldn't run 275 on the front of the 9 with that offset, and neither would Dodge. But its obviously your choice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
But it would it be a bad choice? ;)

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,282 Posts
I curious about this, I almost put 275/40ZR20's all around on my 20 x 9 inch 2020 Scat Pack wheels. I made the choice to use my 2020 Scat pack Dynamics package 20 x 9.5 wheels as my daily Driver wheels so the new tires went on them instead. I put my Drag Radials on my 20 x 9 Scat pack wheels for the track and left 1 pair of the 245/45Zr20 Tires on the other set for the fronts again for the track.

So why wouldn't use use the 275's on the front? Will they rub? They are barely wider than the 245's.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You have a Scat Pack, the 275's will work fine on the factory wheels, even in the front. You will NOT rub anywhere with the factory wheels. Been there, tested that, numerous times, numerous wheels.
Is that the reason some forum members don't recommend doing that? Rubbing? It's like 90% of the forums is like "yeah no problem" but some posters with good reputations say not to ... which is why I thought I'd start a new conversation on it!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Is that the reason some forum members don't recommend doing that? Rubbing? It's like 90% of the forums is like "yeah no problem" but some posters with good reputations say not to ... which is why I thought I'd start a new conversation on it!
I'd lay odds you could gather 5 random members, add their total wheel/tire combos/changes over the last 10 years and they still wouldn't add up to what I've done with just my 17 Scat Pack.

I've been doing wheels and tires for a long time, on many cars. Just with this car, I'm on my 3rd set of street wheels, probably 11th or 12th set of tires across those 3 sets (each set I took off was sold with at LEAST 5/32" tread left). Add in the 3 different drag sets I've tried with at least 4 different tire combos and I'm still not done. I'm eyeballing new street wheels now and seriously considering a 15" conversion for the rear. That'll add 2 sets each lol

They say "don't do it" because most people try to put Scat/SRT wheels on the R/T's and without a spacer it won't work.

You have the SRT knuckles on your Scat which give you plenty of clearance to run 275/40's on the stock rims at all 4 corners.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You have the SRT knuckles on your Scat which give you plenty of clearance to run 275/40's on the stock rims at all 4 corners.
I think most of the naysayers have more of an issue with how it sits on the rim versus it rubbing.

I honestly don't know ... but don't want to get stuck with 4 tires either. But also don't want the 245s anymore! :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I think most of the naysayers have more of an issue with how it sits on the rim versus it rubbing.

I honestly don't know ... but don't want to get stuck with 4 tires either. But also don't want the 245s anymore! :)
The 275's fit better on the 9" rims than the 245's. 245's look like those import guys with their wheels on sideways

245's on a 9" wheel

275's on the same wheel

Edit: fixed the pics

·
Registered
989 Posts
The 275's fit better on the 9" rims than the 245's. 245's look like those import guys with their wheels on sideways

245's on a 9" wheel
275's on the same wheel
Those look like the same pictures.

Reactions: POWERMAN
1 - 20 of 29 Posts