Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2010 Dodge Charger SXT in May of 2011. Since then I have had to replace the rear left tire once, as it was slick and the rear right tire twice as the inside of the tire was down to the belts. I am a sensible driver, seldom do the tires break loose other than possibly on rainy days, and even then, very seldom and not spinning too long. I would rate myself as very conservative. I state this to say I know it can't be from "burning them off". This has to be an issue with the car. Has anyone else experienced something like this? What was your fix, if there was one? The car was aligned right before I bought it, so I was told, and I had it aligned before the last tire was put on. At that time, I paid for them to check out the car looking to make sure everything was as it should be and they did find something loose, although I don't remember what it was. Anyway, afterwards, they aligned it and put on a new tire.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Aggressive starts take their toll.

Fronts have worn better, I take it?

How many miles?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Rotate your tires more often? If they do it correctly the tires will bounce around to all sides and at least the wear would be more even. I'd almost watch them when they do it, if you can't do it yourself. It's been awhile but you bring the fronts straight back to the rear and cross the rears to the front right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As much as I love to show off, I have been driving very conservatively. The front tires are not having issues. I have only put about 8,000 miles on the car since I purchased it. This last tire has maybe gone 3,000 miles. I noticed the inside of the tire is again down to the radial treads closer to the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
575 Posts
As much as I love to show off, I have been driving very conservatively. The front tires are not having issues. I have only put about 8,000 miles on the car since I purchased it. This last tire has maybe gone 3,000 miles. I noticed the inside of the tire is again down to the radial treads closer to the inside of the tire.

I would say thats an alignment problem. Take it to another shop and have it checked, sometimes places don't have their equipment calibrated correctly or you could have just run into someone who doesn't really know what they're doing... it happens. Could you also try putting on a tire that has a warranty? You would think that if a place does your alignment and it checks out they'd have to honor the warranty as well.

Hope your able to work this out, replacing tires all the time sucks.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I agree that alignment or supension problems are causing this. Also if you have Goodyear integrity's (they just stink) the rsa's stink too.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
2010 SXT, alignment is covered for original owners for 1 year, 12k miles.

Your tires also have a separate tire manufacturer warranty, for the original purchaser.

To go through two sets of rear tires in 8k miles, with you driving conservatively, the car has a serious issue.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I would be curious to see the printout of the alignment sheets from the shops' measurements. For the RR tire to wear so badly on the inside edge, it is either toe'd out too much or has way too much negative camber, or some of both. I'm not sure about the LR tire since the only description is "slick" but there is obviously a bad alignment issue in the back. Don't let them get away with allowing the alignment values to be at either end of the spec tolerance, make them adjust it to the center of the range (if its adjustable). The frame may be out of tolerance to the point that the alignment cannot be corrected by normal methods.

Are you the original owner or is this a used car purchase?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Sorry to ask... But someone has to... Are you sure you are the only one driving your car :x

No teenage kids taking it for weekend burnouts or attempting drifts... If you have kids... Keep an eye on that odometer :x

If u are the only driver then yeah it's definitely sounding like alignment issues if not multiple issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the car used. I got it off "program". My son is too much like me so I don't let him use the car. My wife uses the car occasionally, but she would be comparable to a "little old lady". ;)

I am planning to call the shop that aligned it last time, on September 2nd. I will definately get a hold of another shop if necessary. I just needed to know if this was inherent to the Charger.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I purchased the car used. I got it off "program". My son is too much like me so I don't let him use the car. My wife uses the car occasionally, but she would be comparable to a "little old lady". ;)
Don't bet on it, the Charger has a habit of bring the aggressive driver out in everyone. My wife is the primary driver of ours and I am do for 4 new tires at 28K miles an they are rotated every 5K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:
I took it into the shop to have them look into the issue. Checking it out, they said everything looks to be fine, as far as alignment issues, and they don't see anything that could have caused it.
I know it isn't the driving, wish it were that simple. The shop said they were looking online in some forums and have come across someone that had a similar problem and they are trying to contact them. They also called a dealer on the problem, and they had not heard of any issues. I called another dealer and they had not heard of any issues but would do some checking and get back with me.
This is so frustrating. I love my car, but, if I can not get this resolved I feel I will need to part with the car.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I have seen this issue on cars that have been in accidents and the rear axle is misaligned due to improper frame straightening. If the rear axle is cocked, it is literally "dragging" the tires sideways as they roll forward resulting in extreme wear.

The inside edge wear you describe on the rear tire is exactly like the kind of wear you might see on a front tire with an improper toe alignment.

You can't see this kind of misalignment visually. It requires putting the car on a frame alingment rack and determining if the frame is true and square.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have seen this issue on cars that have been in accidents and the rear axle is misaligned due to improper frame straightening. If the rear axle is cocked, it is literally "dragging" the tires sideways as they roll forward resulting in extreme wear.

The inside edge wear you describe on the rear tire is exactly like the kind of wear you might see on a front tire with an improper toe alignment.

You can't see this kind of misalignment visually. It requires putting the car on a frame alingment rack and determining if the frame is true and square.
This would be measured on an alignment rack as "thrust angle". The rear alignment would show one side toe'd out and the other side toe'd in. A severe case would cause the car to be more responsive turning in one direction vs the other. It's how most NASCAR cars are set up so they turn much better to the left.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
This would be measured on an alignment rack as "thrust angle". The rear alignment would be show one side toe'd out and the other side toe'd in. A severe case would cause the car to be more responsive turning in one direction vs the other. It's how most NASCAR cars are set up so they turn much better to the left.
This will only show up if you have a 4-wheel alignment done. With rear wheel drive cars, most shops (including dealers) only do a 2-wheel alignment. Best to request a 4-wheel alignment with these kinds of issues.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
This will only show up if you have a 4-wheel alignment done. With rear wheel drive cars, most shops (including dealers) only do a 2-wheel alignment. Best to request a 4-wheel alignment with these kinds of issues.
I would hope that any shop diagnosing abnormal rear tire wear would do a 4-wheel alignment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts