Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Thought I would start a new tire thread the 2011 and newer Charger forum. I'm running the stock Firestone Firehawks on my RT. I have about 19k on them currently. They got me through a MN winter ok but that was with gentle driving. One has developed a slight thump maybe due to a ply separation. Not bad but noticeable. These tires are of when hot but are noises pretty much all the time. I've done a lot of research and feel the Cooper Zeon RS3-A are the tire to get. I would up the size to 255/45/20 for the stock 245. I did consider the Cont. DWS but they are expensive and have mixed reviews.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I have the Cooper RS3-A's and love them. Very quiet on the road, AWESOME dry/wet traction and they did fairly well on the bad Pa winter roads. I kept about 50 extra pounds in the trunk of my car and never had an issue getting where I needed to go. I highly recommend them.

With that said, the tire size is only .3" different from stock. However, it circumference is about 1" larger. It will throw your speedo off a hair, but not enough to worry about. The speedo would report about 1 mph faster than your actually going.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stevens12, Glad to hear you love these tires. Getting great reviews. I only have about 4/32 left on the hawks. Not really a 40k tire are they. Bad tire in my opinion. Yes I drive hard but they are loud and rough. The only good thing about them is I don't feel guilty lighting them up now and then. lol. That's will have to come to and end after getting new shoes however.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've had several sets of Cooper tires and EVERY SET has been awesome. These are just another good example of Cooper tires and reputation.

2 sets Cooper CS4's on my wifes cars, 1 set Cooper Zeon LTZs on my truck, 1 set Cooper Discoverers' on my truck, and now these RS3-As. All have exceeded mileage warranty too. Best part is the price. It's hard to beat the price of these tires.

right now there's a price reward of $70 off the cooper website.
http://coopertirerebates.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google%20cooper%20tires%20exact

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Thought I would start a new tire thread for our 2011 and newer Chargers.
Do the 2011+ have some special requirement for tires that the 2006-2010 models don't?

I has a confused.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw that discount earlier today. Nice. I will probably keep the Firehawks and put them on craigslist here in MN. Two have almost 5/32 while the third one has 4/32 and the fourth has 3/32. Anyway, thanks for the feedback on the Coopers. :driving:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the 2011+ have some special requirement for tires that the 2006-2010 models don't?

I has a confused.
Not sure with the body redesign. Probably not. I was simply starting this thread under the (Dodge Charger 2011- up) section of the forum that's all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My AWD SXT has the factory hankook all season tires. Really are not impressive in the minor snow I've been in. The rounded edge of the tire does not help at all when the wheel slides sideways.

I am looking at blizzaks or hankook I-pikes for a designated snow tire. I prefer blizzak because there is less road noise, but they also cost quite a bit more.

Will run the current all-seasons as summer tires until they die, shouldn't be too long based off reviews. Then I will look for something with good tread wear.

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mitch, for dedicated winters I love Blizzaks. You really can't go wrong with them. We run the SUV version of the Blizzak on our AWD Highlander in the winter and they are excellent. Just took them off for the summer. Remounted the 19s. For my Charger however, I don't drive it that much in the winter to justify dedicated snows. So the Coopers should work just fine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My charger is my daily driver and I'm in Alaska so a dedicated winter tire is strongly advised.

I have had blizzaks on a few vehicles before and loved them, but I've always gotten them secondhand off craigslist. Unfortunately 19" tires aren't too common, so I'd most likely have to buy new and that's a lot of cash.

I've also had hankook I pikes and thought they performed very well for the price (even though that has gone up dramatically in the last few years.)

The other reason I'm not set on blizzaks is because they wear out quickly if you are putting them on and off rims each season, due to the softer rubber compound. Damn TPMS has made a second set of rims an expensive route to take as well.

-Mitch

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've got 24K on my R/T now and last oil change the dealer said I was at 4/32 and should consider new tires soon. He quoted me a price of over $1000 for Goodyear Eagle RS-As and said that was all he had available for my size 240/45 20. I have absolutely no interest in the RS-As as I had them on a car years ago and was not impressed. And besides at that price, there are better options. Needless to say, I do need tires pretty soon as the Firehawks have started to lose wet weather traction and they are noisy on the highway(got that way around 8000 miles). I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Michelin Primacy MXM4 and Continental DWS. Neither are cheap, but both seem to be highly rated. I want to stick with the stock size and need all season so options are somewhat limited. Anyone with 20" wheels put these on their Charger and if so, how do you like? Other options you considered?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just put on a set of Cooper zeons rs3-a. Love them so far and the price is right. Discount tire ordered them for me. Got them in 3 days. Steering response was much improved over the hawks. Quiet ride and a consumers report best buy. Im happy. I did order one size up and went 255/45/20 but they make them in both 245 and 255. Oh and I had 19k on my hawks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't the Firehawks have some sort of manufacturer warranty on them? I have them too and I'm concerned about having to replace them prematurely like some of you have done.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't the Firehawks have some sort of manufacturer warranty on them? I have them too and I'm concerned about having to replace them prematurely like some of you have done.
I looked into this. Two things: First, I was told by Firestone that since they where the originally equipped tires there is no mileage warranty. However, they would consider me for a prorated deal on another set of Firehawks only when my tires were at 4/32 or below and under 4 years old. So for me I would have had to keep them another 3-4 k and hope for maybe 40% off a new set of Firehawks. If you have looked at a set of Firehawks in the 20" size they run $225 each retail.

A. I did not want another set of Junkstone Firecraps.
B. Even with the discount, if I got one, they would have cost me about about the same as my Coopers.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ugh, ok. I'll keep the Coopers in mind when the time comes. :cursin:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ugh, ok. I'll keep the Coopers in mind when the time comes. :cursin:
You have many choices to look at when it comes to tires in the 20 inch range. Here are a few to consider if going with an all season.

Cooper Zeon RS3-A
Continental Extreme Contact DWS (most expensive in this group here)
General g-max
Goodyear Eagle Sport AS
Kumho Ecsta 4X
Yokohama AVID ENvigor
Nitto Motivo
Pirelli P zero

These are just the ones that won't break the bank. There are lots of choices so do your research. I personally found the Coopers to be a great value for the money. They do everything well at a great price point. However, the new Goodyear Eagle Sport AS is interesting as well as the Nitto Motivo. :beerchug:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I bought new tires this weekend. Lately I had noticed the Crapstones slipping in the rain, and the tread was looking pretty low.

I went to Discount Tire, and the tech said they were right about the point of replacement. I told him they only had 19,XXX on them and he was surprised.

Honestly, I think Crapstone makes a batch of crappy quality cheap tires to sell to Dodge for new cars because they know they won't have to honor the warranty on them.

Anyway, I went with the Kumho Ecsta 4X. They were relatively inexpensive, and I've had Kumho tires in the past and been satisfied.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My AWD SXT has the factory hankook all season tires. Really are not impressive in the minor snow I've been in. The rounded edge of the tire does not help at all when the wheel slides sideways.

I am looking at blizzaks or hankook I-pikes for a designated snow tire. I prefer blizzak because there is less road noise, but they also cost quite a bit more.

Will run the current all-seasons as summer tires until they die, shouldn't be too long based off reviews. Then I will look for something with good tread wear.

-Mitch
Blizzaks are impressive on snow and ice, even with RWD. I went with the DM-V1. For the rest of the year I am running a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s and they are excellent! Much better wet traction than the stock MXM4 tires.

I do have the Cooper RS3As on my GTO and I have been very happy with them as well.

GTO_04

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just purchase a set of Hankook Ventus V12 evo's in 245 45 20. Great tire! The Firestones were crap and weren't even worthy of a tire swing...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts