Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As of today my wife and I are the new owners of a 2006 Charger SRT-8. We bought the car for $21,500 and the car only has 21,700 miles. The only thing the car needs is tires, the stock ones are about done. So my question is what tires do you guys recommend? I am not going to be racing or anything so I am basically looking for a tire that will last, perform well and look good. I am also wondering if anyone is running a different than stock size, it looks like you could put a wider tire on with no problems. Any information would be great!!!

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Congo-Rats on the purchase. Wow, over 20K on the stock tires? I need new ones already at 13K. :)

I would go with 275/40-20 at all 4 corners. You won't rub and you can rotate them. I plan to go with Vredestein Ultra Sessanta tire, but there are others that are popular as well. The Vreds are not directional so you can roatate in any direction, plus they are one of the top performers with good wear. Not to mention, they are fairly inexpensive.

The only reason not to go with the Vred's is they are slightly more difficult to source.

There are several others that people like too (Toyos, Nittos, etc.) but almost everyone will tell you to go with that 275/40-20 size on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You could also go with Hankook Ventus ST - 275-40-20 all around. So far in my opinion they are a very good tire with a long warranty on them also and handle great in the rain and dry - no snow yet so I cant officially comment on that :)

The Hankook's can be bought on discount tire for a very cheap amount also.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
When you say "last", what do you have in mind for a decnt lifespan, thats really the driver here. Me, I get 22-24K per set, and I"m happy there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If this helps at all, the Hankook Ventus ST's have a 50k mile warranty against unusual treadwear

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
And thats what I mean, in return for that 50K lifespan, you give up some grip for sure which cuts handling at the limits. But you dont buy tires that often.

Looking, seems Hankook makes a more sporting tire (the Ventus were made for sport trucks, not sports cars), called the V12 Evo. Dont know much about iit, seems to fal into thesame price range as the Vreds

·
Registered
366 Posts
But also the Vreds themselves are made for SUV's in general

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Right, but the difference is in what SUVs they were made for. The Ventus were made for SUVs like the Nissan Murano, the Ifiniti FX235, what I would term "sporty" suvs. Not high performance. The Vreds were designed for SUVs like the Porsche Ceyenne, the Mecedes ML63, the Jeep SRT, those sorts, high performance, heavyweight machines.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ah i see what you mean.

I guess its because I have nothing to complain about. So far with traction control on they don't spin on a stand and with it off every now and then they might chirp. Iv also taken a couple pretty hard turns and weaved with rain or dry weather to not have any slippage and such.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
See, with every tire I get, I take them , after a few break in miles, to a few places where I can safely take them to the limitsof cornering. Same places, same conditions, tires get pushed until they give. So I know to the inch exactly how each of the sets Ive run compare to each other. Now, in one way, the comparison is unfair, becuase Ive run them in a wider size, but that cant be helped. So far, its been like this, worst first, best last, Strictly cornering traction dry, not caring about noise or wet handling, although any of them handles anything in the wet that Ive asked, except when temps get down in the 40s or lower. None of these are a good tire in the low temps, for me, driveable, but I dont recommend it for most folks.

RSAs (245)
Invos (255)
Vreds (275)
NT05s (275

Now, I'm back on the Vreds after the 05s strictly becuase of the low life of them. Cant justify new tires every nine months or so, and I do +20K a year.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Toyo Proxes 4 probably are the best all-around tire. They may not tbe the very best in any one category but they are good wet and dry and have pretty high limits for straight line and lateral traction. Plus they are about $160 per tire online at tiredeals4less.com and give you a fighting chance in the snow...something a weatherman needs to take into consideration ;)

You could get fancy and run 245/45r20 up front and 275/40r20 out back for a badboy staggered look.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yeah, snow doesnt enter my consideration at all, since if it does snow here (about 3-4 days a year, tops), we just take the wifes 99 Blazer.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I have the Nitto 420's 255/45/20 and have been very pleased. 15k miles and going strong.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tires

I agree with Eric Ive done almost what he said 245/45/20 in front rear 275/45/20 (so i didnt need to worry about odometer) Toyo proxe 4.
I had the nitti invos for about 18K also a good tire but these proxes are much better in rain cool weather the invos great summer tire alot like the F1 supercars at half the price paid 150 each for these well worth it nice tread patten too looks old school phat rubber in rear try the toyo prox 4s you will like them and made for sport sedans not trucks or suvs just my 2 cents
:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
there's no difference between the regular Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and Vredestein Ultrac SUV Sessanta, other than the fact that the SUV version caters to the larger size. since the size for regular Ultrac Sessanta only goes up to something like 19inch. anything above that the SUV version picks up.

no difference in either design or performance.

i got mine from Tire-easy.com they shipped it out very fast, the price was very reasonable. but stock is always low, so grab them ahead of time if i were you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts