Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at v6 models and I'm noticing that some of them come with 17in tires and some with 19in. I don't think that they'd add any horsepower or use a different transmission depending on those cars so I'm wondering if there's a major difference in performance do that?.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The car will run better with the smaller wheels, larger wheels reduce acceleration. Don't know about Charger but with Challenger you get a 3.07 gear in the car when you order 20's instead of the 2.62 you get with 18's to try to get some of that performance back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
As long as the overall diameter is not significantly different the only noticeable difference will be ride comfort.

A factory 18 inch wheel with a higher profile tire can be very similar in overall diameter as a 20 inch wheel with the normally smaller profile tire.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
But the weight moves outward with a larger wheel so it acts heavier because of the rotational effect.

Not to a great degree but you could probably measure it.

And they don't do it on Charger but on Challenger, the SXT cars with 20's get the bigger R/T brakes for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Also the only cars that have 19 inch wheels stock are AWD. All else being equal the smaller lighter wheel/tire will give you a bit better performance in a straight line but from a 17 to 18 or 20 isn't a huge difference. If you get really heavy 24s with big tires you can easily add +15-20 pounds at each corner and really sap your straightline performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts