Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about 60 right now in cali where i live and I didn't drive yesterday night or today at all, I turned on my car and the sensor went on. I freaked out and measured the pressure the right side seemed to be 31-30 and the left 29-28 on my stock tires 20inch r/t with r&t. I did have my right front tire replaced about a week ago, but never have seen this light so im guessing that tire still has sensor and its just the cold making my tires go low? Max psi is 44 but 32 is recommended on placard. Should I just wait till tomorrow to check it out or what? Any help wanted.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I say check it 2morrow morning, if its reading the same psi...fill it up....whats the weather like over there, because the best time to check ur tires is when its nice and cool.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Its about 60 right now in cali where i live and I didn't drive yesterday night or today at all, I turned on my car and the sensor went on. I freaked out and measured the pressure the right side seemed to be 31-30 and the left 29-28 on my stock tires 20inch r/t with r&t. I did have my right front tire replaced about a week ago, but never have seen this light so im guessing that tire still has sensor and its just the cold making my tires go low? Max psi is 44 but 32 is recommended on placard. Should I just wait till tomorrow to check it out or what? Any help wanted.
I had the same problem, I just put 35 - 36 psi and the light was gone. It got down to the 40's in my area. This is the second time that I've had this in the last 10 months.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Mine all read 31 except the passenger side rear this morning. It read 27. I found a screw stuck in the tire so if you pressure is a little lower you might wanna give the tire a quik glance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
during the day its about 81-85, right now its about 60. What about getting that front tire replaced, I did it at a good year place and its the same stock tire? Is the sensor on the tire itself or is it a part of the rim or something sorry for the newb questions.

edit this is them right?

Like i said the goodyear place wouldn't just take it off and not put it back on would they? I've never seen this light stay on though and its been a week since i had that tire place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
upon further review when i start the car it chimes once and stays on. does that mean one of my sensors is jacked or one of my tires is low.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Something to know about air pressure...

It will change with ambient air temps...

You want to have your car at the recommended air pressure when the tires are cold (meaning not driven on at all really)... Your air pressure will go up 10-15 PSI when driving on the freeway etc... When cold your Pressure will go back down... When colder than normal temps, the air pressure will drop even lower making your lights go on...

IF you want to get rid of this PSI changes, look into using Nitrogen in your tires... The PSI will remain constant within a few PSI...

WHen your PSI goes UP when tires are at operating temps, your ride will be harsher and gas mileage will be affected slightly as well...

A lot of places fill with Nitrogen these days... If in the inland empire, I know a place ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hit me up with the place in the IE I can make the drive =)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
went and put some air in it, had to ease my mind that thats what was wrong and it was. Put 33 in all 4, the lady friend couldn't understand why i was going to a gas station at 12 oclock. But now i feel better =)

·
Registered
708 Posts

You want to have your car at the recommended air pressure when the tires are cold (meaning not driven on at all really)... Your air pressure will go up 10-15 PSI when driving on the freeway etc... When cold your Pressure will go back down... When colder than normal temps, the air pressure will drop even lower making your lights go on...

IF you want to get rid of this PSI changes, look into using Nitrogen in your tires... The PSI will remain constant within a few PSI...

WHen your PSI goes UP when tires are at operating temps, your ride will be harsher and gas mileage will be affected slightly as well...

A lot of places fill with Nitrogen these days... If in the inland empire, I know a place ;)
My Tire sensor comes on 90% of the time but I check the tires and the psi is good. Maybe I'm missing something when I scroll through my computer, but I don't see the tire pressure like I did in my 300C. I have the 2007 Charger RT with Road & Track - anyone know if it is equipped with this or of it was an option that I may not have?

Also, I'm in the IE and would like to know where the nitrogen fill hook-up is. I heard its good for about the same HP increase as the K&N Air Filter!!! :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Tire sensor comes on 90% of the time but I check the tires and the psi is good. Maybe I'm missing something when I scroll through my computer, but I don't see the tire pressure like I did in my 300C. I have the 2007 Charger RT with Road & Track - anyone know if it is equipped with this or of it was an option that I may not have?

Also, I'm in the IE and would like to know where the nitrogen fill hook-up is. I heard its good for about the same HP increase as the K&N Air Filter!!! :lol:

You have to have EVIC, Man its cold out here, I came home from my newport condo to la verne and my baby isn't used to being outside, shes normally in a nice garage and warm, tires didn't like it either but now is all good, the light went off asap as soon as i got air in them. The gas attendant also thought I was crazy, funny seeing a mexican out there in a big sweater and beanie filling up his tires =)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Man you've got it rough! Having to go outside in this cold from your condo in Newport to your pad in La Verne in a nice Charger. Lol!!! We have a 3 car garage and my car hasn't spent a night outside since i bought it - I drive the my wife's car if we go out of town. She thinks it's because i want to drive her Benzo because its nicer - haha - I just don't want to leave my car outside, if she only knew....

Yeah, I've gotta check out the EVIC again. i didn't see the tire pressure screen when I scrolled through - for some lame reason I associated it to the 20" rims that come on the Road & Track.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man you've got it rough! Having to go outside in this cold from your condo in Newport to your pad in La Verne in a nice Charger. Lol!!! We have a 3 car garage and my car hasn't spent a night outside since i bought it - I drive the my wife's car if we go out of town. She thinks it's because i want to drive her Benzo because its nicer - haha - I just don't want to leave my car outside, if she only knew....

Yeah, I've gotta check out the EVIC again. i didn't see the tire pressure screen when I scrolled through - for some lame reason I associated it to the 20" rims that come on the Road & Track.

I think on the evic it just tells you what tire is low not the pressure thats only on srt 8's

Yea man Newport is colder but my garage is lighted and its warm in there lol and is covered, my garage at the other house is a rec room so no cars =(, only thing about the newport place is a mustang GT parks right next to me as well a 350z. Owner has both, cool kid actually waited for me to talk to me bout the new R/T.

One day all the IE guys should get together, I wanna start adding mod's just am not really verse on the R/T yet. Soon though =)

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts

You want to have your car at the recommended air pressure when the tires are cold (meaning not driven on at all really)...

Your air pressure will go up 10-15 PSI when driving on the freeway etc... When cold your Pressure will go back down... When colder than normal temps, the air pressure will drop even lower making your lights go on...

Okay, in order.

1. True. More educated members, like HemiChemi and Arf can give the name of the laws that govern this, Boyles I think:) One thing to note is that moisture content is a key factor. Evidently, if the gasses involved (be it pure nitrogen, or a mixture of only %78 precent ntirogen) are equally dry, then they follow that law exactly yhe same.

2. Also true. Me, I check first thing in the morning, then your almost garunteed that your tires will not be colder all day.

3. Not quite true, unless you have a cup of water in there with your air:) Having an SRT-8, I can watch my tire pressure real time, in all four tires. And I have, quite a lot. From 32 cold (60ish) when I'm at highway speeds in 80 degrees, it never tops say 36-38. Certainly never hits 40.

Search "nitrogen" titles only. Theres been huge debate on it, boils down to, it certainly wont harm anything, but its not worth paying extra for. someday, I'll find a local place and have two tires done with it, so I can test it myself:)

·
Registered
424 Posts
3. Not quite true, unless you have a cup of water in there with your air:) Having an SRT-8, I can watch my tire pressure real time, in all four tires. And I have, quite a lot. From 32 cold (60ish) when I'm at highway speeds in 80 degrees, it never tops say 36-38. Certainly never hits 40.
You are going to get some change in PSI when temps get higher. 4-6 PSI is nothing compared to 15PSI or More... Take your car on a road course and your PSI can go from 30 up to 48 :knockout:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ok I got a forum special for everyone till the end of this month... Good till 10-31-07.

$29.95 Nitrogen with choice of Blue valve stem caps, Anodized Blue Sleeves or Aluminum w/ Nitrogen Logo caps. Plus free-re-fills for the same set of tires!

For now, drop me a PM and I will give you location info and appointment times that can be set. I am going to make a little coupon as well.

This price will be at my location only in Riverside, CA 92504

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
You are going to get some change in PSI when temps get higher. 4-6 PSI is nothing compared to 15PSI or More... Take your car on a road course and your PSI can go from 30 up to 48 :knockout:
Of course a roadcourse is a different animal, but lets not confuse normal everyday driving with whats seen ona road course. That heat is generated by the constant flexing of the sidewall, not something seen in %99 or normal driving.

My point was that telling folks they will see a 10psi increase on the freeway is incorrect. 4-6 would be more realistic. And Ive yet to see any data showing that properly dried air is any different from dry nitrogen in that regard.

Thats why I think its a waste to spend money on nitrogen fills.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ok I got a forum special for everyone till the end of this month... Good till 10-31-07.

$29.95 Nitrogen with choice of Blue valve stem caps, Anodized Blue Sleeves or Aluminum w/ Nitrogen Logo caps. Plus free-re-fills for the same set of tires!

For now, drop me a PM and I will give you location info and appointment times that can be set. I am going to make a little coupon as well.

This price will be at my location only in Riverside, CA 92504
Is this free refills for the life of the tires? For that price I'd be willing to give it a shot!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Of course a roadcourse is a different animal, but lets not confuse normal everyday driving with whats seen ona road course. That heat is generated by the constant flexing of the sidewall, not something seen in %99 or normal driving.

My point was that telling folks they will see a 10psi increase on the freeway is incorrect. 4-6 would be more realistic. And Ive yet to see any data showing that properly dried air is any different from dry nitrogen in that regard.

Thats why I think its a waste to spend money on nitrogen fills.

it also depends on the set up and how good they are at getting ALL the oxygen out of the tire... When you mount a tire, there is going to be that ambient oxygen in the tire... Hence wheels with 2 valve stems are Ideal and designed for Nitrogen fills...

Like the ENKEI NT03+M for example (from my old car...)

The more oxygen that is removed, the less PSI change there will be...

In 80-90 degree weather on the freeway you will go from 34PSI to 44PSI...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts