Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one runing 255/40/20's all around and at what psi-i run mine at 38 and it handles great but rides like its on cinder blocks-at 35 it rides great but handles like a wet noddle. and at 40 psi the tires sing at high speeds [65-90 mph] toyo's suck i should have gotten falken's

·
Registered
377 Posts
any one runing 255/40/20's all around and at what psi-i run mine at 38 and it handles great but rides like its on cinder blocks-at 35 it rides great but handles like a wet noddle. and at 40 psi the tires sing at high speeds [65-90 mph] toyo's suck i should have gotten falken's
If your keeping the overall diameter the same, then you should keep the pressure at the specified rating on the door. If it handles bad, it could be that the tire is softer than the one you replaced. Check the sidewall for the service description. It shoudl have 2 numbers and a letter after the size (ie 255-40-20 93V. Thats 93V is just an example, but the 93 is the load the tire can handle and the V is the speed rating. I personally would only stick with Goodyear, Firestone or Bridgestone. I have seen almost every tire out there and most of the "B" tires always have some issue.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my mistake there 255/45/20's with a ZR rating and tread ware of 101-not only do they sing like mad at 38 to 40 psi but they pick up every nail and screw on the planet-700 miles and 5 screws later and i think i might be buying goodyear f1's tomorrow

·
Registered
377 Posts
they are one inch taller then the stock 18's michies
They are actually about .41" Taller. I have had the older F1's and liked them. I know perfer Firestone/Bridgestone since I work for them. The benefit with them is 30 day test drive and 3 year free replacement warranty. The only problem is we don't have anything in the right size for 20". We only have 245-40-20. Hopefully they will make the Wide Oval's soon.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I'm still using the stock tires....but after some trial and error I settled on 36psi. That seems to be a good balance between firmness, mileage, and a decent contact patch on the pavement...at least for me.

Best,

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
36lbs for me

·
Registered
181 Posts
you dont really think that 3 psi makes that big of a difference, do you?

and for the tires being prone to picking up screws - i mean come on, that's ridiculous

·
Registered
377 Posts
you dont really think that 3 psi makes that big of a difference, do you?

and for the tires being prone to picking up screws - i mean come on, that's ridiculous
PSI makes all the difference. There is even a book that states for continuous high speeds add 1psi to the door placard. As far as picking up screws and such, if the tire is much harder than the previous then yes a typical screw may punture easier. Take a basket ball and fill it with a lot of air. It will be easy to puncture. If the basketball had less air in it the ball will have more forgiveness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts