Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Pirelli 275-40-20 tires
The door post says 32 psi
Personally I think it’s to low
Currently running 35 psi cold
Wondering what everyone is running ?
Sorry for all the post however I want to get the most for my new ride.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I usually run around the same. Don’t think 3 extra psi is that different honestly

·
Registered
4,704 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
37 psi up front, 32 psi in the rear for me.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Run 32 and my tires wear evenly.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I set mine at 32 psi according to all three of my gauges, but the EVIC in the car shows them as 36 psi.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I recently seen this and found my gauge was off but you tried 3 gauges so its weird. We have an instrumentation bench on the job.
I wonder if AlfoOBD would reveal how to calibrate.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I ran the tires on the scat at 34 and had a compliant ride and solid handling.

The method I use to set tire pressure is inflate all 4 tires to 40 psi and then go around and use a Viair's 3-in-1 air down gauge to reduce pressure to 34 psi

Its accurate, doesn't have batteries to replace like a digital gauge and is simple to use. Best of all you aren't going back and forth multiple times between an air hose and stick gauge trying to nail the pressure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a cheap stick tire gauge that I got from a tire store for free years ago.
I have used it on all my cars for years and it has always matched what the vehicle said.
I have had plenty of expensive gauges that were so far of it wasn’t funny.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Considering the engineers designed this, spent millions on, and have a warranty, I'll listen to them. It does say to raise them for high-speed track stuff though. If you raise them, then you'll see all the complaints about "My car rides too harsh, how to I make it softer......"

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I use a cheap stick tire gauge that I got from a tire store for free years ago.
I have used it on all my cars for years and it has always matched what the vehicle said.
I have had plenty of expensive gauges that were so far of it wasn’t funny.
The EVIC on our old 2013 Chrysler 200 matches the pressure on the manual gauges, the EVIC in the wife's Rallye usually reads 1 psi higher than the gauges, it's just mine that is consistently off by 4 psi.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my replacing the stock 18 x 7.5 wheels with 20 x 8 wheels (stock RT ones)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I bought one of these because a few people recommended it.

There are other similar looking gauges & they probably all come out of the same factory in China

The gauge supposedly meets ANSI B40.1 Grade B accuracy. Google results shows this & similar.

It has 3% accuracy at the lower & upper 1/4 of the scale and 2% accuracy in the middle 1/2 of the scale. That 2% is based on the full scale reading of 60 psi, which would be 1.2 psi. So it’s basically accurate to within about 1 psi where needed for most car tires.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
For road course use SRT has said to use a cold pressure that has the tires at 40 psi hot so that would probably give you the best cornering, handling and stability on the street.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
For road course use SRT has said to use a cold pressure that has the tires at 40 psi hot so that would probably give you the best cornering, handling and stability on the street.

That's interesting. My cold pressure is 36psi. After I've been on the road for a little while, the TPMS system settles in around 40-41psi. That's been working well for me.

Best,

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
561 Posts

Most max pressures (tire manufacturer limits) is 44psi. 40psi cold will hit 44 waaaay too easily to be safe.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
40 hot was their recommendation.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Most max pressures (tire manufacturer limits) is 44psi. 40psi cold will hit 44 waaaay too easily to be safe.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
The max pressure stamped on the tire is max COLD pressure. There's wiggle room built in for the tire heating up.

That doesn't mean I'd inflate to max cold pressure. That will cause the tires to wear excessively in the middle and the car will ride like a stagecoach.

Best,

·
Registered
697 Posts
At the Autobahn on a warm day a few weeks go, I set mine to 36 cold, and "almost" got up to 40 after one 20-minute session. I run 32 cold all the other times like mine says, for comfort and wear alone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts