Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know for sure what kind of tire pressure sensor system our cars have?

does it have the "traction control" type where the traction control notices a difference of wheel rpm, or do we actually have a sensor banded on the wheel?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
does anyone know for sure what kind of tire pressure sensor system our cars have?

does it have the "traction control" type where the traction control notices a difference of wheel rpm, or do we actually have a sensor banded on the wheel?
The tire pressure sensor is a RF monted sensor on the inside of your valve stem. The sensor can tell when there is a difference in tire pressure and will send a signal to the receiver to set the alarm off.

Also make sure you tell your mechanic when you go to get new tires about this sensor they are very expensive to replace. You do not want them trying to pull out the valve stem it will break off the sensor.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...

just found this posted on another forum..

This is from my Jeep Liberty service manual. I would think the system is the same!??
HTHs
-Steve

3.8 TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING

SYSTEM (TPMS)

If equipped with the Tire Pressure Monitoring

System (TPMS), each of the vehicles four wheels

(spare wheel optional) will have a valve stem with

a pressure sensor and radio transmitter built in.

Signals from the tire pressure Sensor/Transmitter

are received and interpreted by the Sentry Key

Remote Entry Module (SKREEM). Using the

DRBIIIt, go to ANTI-THEFT for the SKREEM

data.

A Sensor/Transmitter in a mounted wheel will

broadcast an RF frequency indicating its pressure

once per minute when the vehicle is in drive mode.

To activate the Sensor/Transmitter operation, the

required SKREEM speed is 13 mph (20 km/h).

Each Sensor/Transmitters broadcast is uniquely

coded so that the SKREEM can monitor the states

of each Sensor/Transmitter on the vehicle. The

SKREEM TPMS does not use a magnet to relearn,

it automatically learns while driving after a

SKREEM or a Sensor/Transmitter has been replaced.

3.8.1 TRAINING THE SKREEM

If a Sensor/Transmitter is replaced, the vehicle

has to be parked for at least 15 minutes for the

system to be ready to learn the new Sensor/

Transmitter ID code. The vehicle then must be

driven for a minimum of five minutes with a

minimum continuous speed above 13 mph (20

km/h). The system will learn the new Sensor/

Transmitter and clear the DTC’s automatically.

The Sensor/Transmitters are programmed at the

assembly plant in this clockwise orientation:

Sensor/Transmitter 1 = Left Front

Sensor/Transmitter 2 = Right Front

Sensor/Transmitter 3 = Right Rear

Sensor/Transmitter 4 = Left Rear

NOTE:

1. If one or all Sensor/Transmitters cannot

be trained, check for and avoid RF

interference.

2. If one Sensor/Transmitter still cannot be

trained, replace it and retry.

3. If all Sensor/Transmitters still fail to

train, replace the SKREEM.

3.8.2 PRESSURE THRESHOLDS

The SKREEM will monitor the tire pressure

signals from the Sensor/Transmitters and determine

if any tire has gone below the low-pressure

thresholds. Refer to the table below:

LOW TIRE PRESSURE THRESHOLDS

SYSTEM STATUS

INDICATOR

TIRE PRESSURE

ON 26 PSI 179.2638 kPa

OFF ABOVE 30 PSI

206.8428 kPa

·
Registered
608 Posts
Maybe a silly question here. I have a Daytona. Is the tire pressure monitoring part of the Electronics Conv. Group ? I custom ordered my Daytona and don't remember an option for tire pressure monitoring. Any help ?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cool - I'll answer my own question. I just took a look over at Dodge's website. Thats a feature I didn't even know I had on my Daytona. Interesting. I guess the tire pressure monitoring comes standard on the Daytona.

1908/4000 - Naperville, Illinois

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
naperguy said:
Cool - I'll answer my own question. I just took a look over at Dodge's website. Thats a feature I didn't even know I had on my Daytona. Interesting. I guess the tire pressure monitoring comes standard on the Daytona.

1908/4000 - Naperville, Illinois
I think it comes standard with all Chargers. You need the Electronics Group for it to tell you which tire is low. Without it, you just get an idiot light.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
thanks...

just found this posted on another forum..

Dude! ADD kicked in. No way I could read that whole post. :)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
a14umbra said:
I think it comes standard with all Chargers. You need the Electronics Group for it to tell you which tire is low. Without it, you just get an idiot light.
I have the Electronics group and my car does not and I really do not know how the car would tell you what tire is low. There is no light in the cluster nor in the OBD that has that feature. I have had my alarm and light go off two times one time for a nail and the other for a screw. System works great but it is up to you to figure out what tire it is that is low on air.

If I am wrong someone please tell me how so I can get my money back for having paid for a system that someone else said is supposed to work different than my owners manual said.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
th light for low tire is below the fuel gage.... watch next time you start the car :D

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I have the Electronics Group, and if a tire is low, under System Status, it will tell you which one (Left Front Low, Right Rear Low, etc).

Check you manual. I know it's not the best manual in the world. It took me a while to find it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
a14umbra said:
I have the Electronics Group, and if a tire is low, under System Status, it will tell you which one (Left Front Low, Right Rear Low, etc).

Check you manual. I know it's not the best manual in the world. It took me a while to find it.
I have to admit I did not check my system status when I got the light and the bell. I really have to check this out I may even go to the gas station and let out some air tomorrow to check it out. Thanks I will look more into it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just finished up with the owners manual. There is a basic system and a premium system. I'm just not sure which one is in the Daytona. Obviously I'm hoping the premium. Anyone know for sure ? The basic system will tell you a tire is low (not what tire), the premium will tell you exactly what tire.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the premium system is only standard in the SRT8 and the basic is standard in the r/t ,r/t R&T, and in the daytona r/t according to the sales brochures. I have the electronics group but only the basic because when I get a light I cannot pull up anything in the systems status. Bummer :sad:

·
Registered
116 Posts
vholmes58 said:
the premium system is only standard in the SRT8 and the basic is standard in the r/t ,r/t R&T, and in the daytona r/t according to the sales brochures. I have the electronics group but only the basic because when I get a light I cannot pull up anything in the systems status. Bummer :sad:
The "premium" system in the SRT-8's will tell you what the current PSI is at all times. The standard system in all others will give you an idiot light when one is low and in the EVIC "System Status" it will should show which one is low (but never tell you the PSI)... I wonder if this "feature" of the "standard monitor" is dependent on the version of your software... hmmm

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
shcker, most likely not, a sensor that is just "on/off" is way cheaper than one that acutally reads a full scale. I could be wrong, maybe one of our parts gurus can look the part numbers up.

But, in any case, since the software in the car is heavily interrealted, you cant just upload one modules SRT version, the STARSCAN wont let you. Theres a guy working on getting around that, but most likely, it wil be more work than its worth, just to display values instead of the warning light

1 - 16 of 16 Posts