Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty depressed yesterday because all of thesudden the Charger handling felt much more sloppy than usual. I was thinking..."The new car feel is gone after only 6000 miles."

I was relieved when the tire pressure sensor light came on. I stopped at the first station and found the passenger side rear had 23lbs and the rest 30. Found a nail in the tire and fixed it...all is fine now.

I can't believe that the handling is so affected by a slightly low tire and that the sensor came on at 23 lbs. I am glad that it did and I am once again impressed with the Chrager.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
don't you love this car?! i had a similiar experience but had to replace the tire completely - i had hit a metal object in my path when changing lanes. i hit it and thought oh yeah i am all right....a minute later "ding" and the sensor went off...i too was very impressed with the car that day (ok everyday).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wonder if there will be a mod to convert that tire pressure sensor signal to a number that could be read out, say on your "electronic convenience group"? that would be cool mod to have.

·
Registered
382 Posts
johnrx said:
I wonder if there will be a mod to convert that tire pressure sensor signal to a number that could be read out, say on your "electronic convenience group"? that would be cool mod to have.
That's available on the SRT-8, isn't it? Wonder if it's simply disabled on the other cars ala the auto headlights.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i think it would be of more benefit if it came on at a higher PSI... like you said, it made a noticeable difference in handling at a low PSI... while the handling might not different at 27PSI the car is much mroe dnagerous at highway speeds with just a few lbs. less pressure... would appear to me that you could set the desired reading on the EVIC...

·
Registered
604 Posts
jcmeci said:
I was pretty depressed yesterday because all of thesudden the Charger handling felt much more sloppy than usual. I was thinking..."The new car feel is gone after only 6000 miles."

I was relieved when the tire pressure sensor light came on. I stopped at the first station and found the passenger side rear had 23lbs and the rest 30. Found a nail in the tire and fixed it...all is fine now.

I can't believe that the handling is so affected by a slightly low tire and that the sensor came on at 23 lbs. I am glad that it did and I am once again impressed with the Chrager.
where did you get the tire pressure checked? did you have to slip a tech a few bucks to use his meter or what?

they have air pumps at some of the gas stations around here but as far as i know they dont have pressure gauges on them...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Similar experience here. My light came on, but all of the tires checked out to about 30psi. I bumped them all up to 33/35 and the light went off. I still don't know why they were low after only owning the car for 2 weeks. It definetly wasn't a cool day - cool days don't exist here in Phoenix in August.

On another note, does anyone know how this sensor actually works? Is there something built into the rim? Just wondering.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shrinkydinx said:
where did you get the tire pressure checked? did you have to slip a tech a few bucks to use his meter or what?

they have air pumps at some of the gas stations around here but as far as i know they dont have pressure gauges on them...
I carry a digital tire gauge in the glove box...radio shack $19.99

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
UA_who said:
On another note, does anyone know how this sensor actually works? Is there something built into the rim? Just wondering.
The sensor is an RF transmitter built into the valve stem. If you ever blow a tire or have to have a tire changed like I have two times already for a nail and a screw. Make sure you tell the Mechanic that you have tire pressure monitor system because if he tries to pull out your valve stem and brakes the TPS it cost I think about $60 a piece to replace them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts