Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was driving earlier today I noticed upon leaving a orange exclamation type symbol was showing in the lower gas gauge area. I looked in the owner's manual and it says it's the "tire pressure sensor" symbol. I checked my tire pressure when I was stopped and it is fine.

I drove for a few more minutes and the symbol just went off. Obviously I was glad to see it go off but my question would be why was it on to begin with? I've had my Charger only 2 weeks and the only thing i've done to it is the "turn signal mod" this morning. I wouldn't think that could do anything as I was very careful...but it is a little strange considering last night there were no symbols on as normal, this morning I did the mod and right after I had that tire pressure light showing.

Any ideas as to why?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I may of answered my own question. It was very chilly yesterday, much cooler then normal -- I remember yesterday morning thinking how chilly it was and I don't know all the details but I know the cold air has an affect -- the Sensor went off after I drove for about 5 minutes -- it also got warmer later in the afternoon. In Cali the difference in temperature can be pretty big daily. At night it can get into the low 50's or even lower and during the day it can get into the low 90's, -- a 35-40 degree difference.

I'm pretty sure that's the cause for this but I'll keep an eye on it. In the Winter time if anyone else sees their tire pressure sensor light go on, this may very well be why. :nervous s

·
Registered
183 Posts
Check your tire pressure when the car has sat overnight on a cool morning and you will probably find the pressure is a little low. Driving the car a few miles will warm them up, increasing the pressure above the "low pressure" sensor point. You should add some air to them if they check below the recommended inflation pressure found on the driver's door post. (which is 32 psi on my Daytona with the 20 inch wheels, not sure about other models)

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
exactly. my sensors seem to trip around 26 psi. However you can drive 10 miles and that same tire is 29 psi when you pull over so therefore over the threshold

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for the info. Yeah, that must be what it was, I think my tires on the R/T are 30PSI right now. 20'' wheels. Today the indicator didn't come on at all but it wasn't nearly as cold outside. I check my tire pressure routinely so I should be good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same thing happened to me tonite

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and it happened to me this morning as it was like 40 last night but 90 during the day -- 50 DEGREE difference...good to know DCX sensors work. I guess I did answer my own question on this one.

I expect many others will start experiencing this issue the closer Winter nears.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Depending on how far away your first opportunity to fill them up is (obviously, folks with compressors can ignore this:)) you can get a fairly accurate cold fill if you only go a few miles. I typically see about a 1-2 psi per mile increase.

So, if you dont have a compressor, find a close station, and set it a few psi low when you fill . Since your car will be reading a few psi high at that point.
Get a handheld gauge also, as a truth check of the machine.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
My mom's 300 had issues a few weeks ago, all I did was retrain all of the sensors with what I call the "magic donut" it is a little magnet in the trunk (at least it is in the 300) and used the EVIC to re train all sensors and they have worked like a champ since, they just needed a little boost I guess, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts