Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at my new Charger for one day, the tires looked low on air. There is a sticker just inside the drivers door that says tire pressure should be 32 lbs. But when I checked the tires they said max pressure 44 lbs. I checked the manual and it really didn't say anything more than keep your tires properly inflated. Well, since they looked low, I blew em up to 44 lbs and they now look perfect. I went back to the dealer and asked the salesman at the dealer and he said that 44 lbs was a max pressure and it was ok to run them under. Another salesman there said he would run them at 32 but when we walked over to look at another charger that came in with mine, he admitted they looked low just as mine had looked. I said I trusted the tire manufacturer (at 44 lbs) more than the vehicle manufacturer (32 lbs). The salesman said the manufacturer knows more about the cars weight and handling in relation to the tires. Anyway, at this point I'm considering taking them down to 40 lbs and see how they look, but I'd really like to know what the proper pressure should be. I'm also betting many Chargers only have 30 lbs from the factory and are severly under inflated just as mine were.

Tires are 18" Michelins V rated Pilot HXMXM4

Thanks for any help in advance.

Murunga

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The max rating is just that, the max pressure the tire can be used at, and here's the crucial part, depending on application Some applications might indeed call for higher pressures, evidently, the Charger does not.

You should really run them at the door sticker pressure. And NEVER, NEVER, EVER, ask a salesman ANYTHING about the care and feeding of your car. While he may be that rare creature, the gearhead salesguy, the odds are wildly against it.

Tell you what, you want expert, try the Tire Rack. Those guys are indeed experts on tires, not just salesmen. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with one guy figuring out which tire was right for my SRT-4, he knew his stuff.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=38

There's a drop down menu that leads to more knowledge about tires than most folk ever want. Me, I drive hard, and those four small patches of rubber are all I have, so I've studied tires a bunch.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
GLHS837 said:
The max rating is just that, the max pressure the tire can be used at, and here's the crucial part, depending on application Some applications might indeed call for higher pressures, evidently, the Charger does not.

You should really run them at the door sticker pressure.
I concur 100%.... run as per the door sticker, the max is just that... the max... not optimum pressure... the manufacturer has figured out the optimum pressure for you...

if you want to figure out the best pressure with disregard for what the car maker says.... run a line of chalk across the width of the tread.... then drive a few yards... see if the chalk wore off evenly or not

chalk wore off only on the outsides? tire is under inflated, chalk wore off only on the middle? tire is over inflated....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAYTONA_R/T said:
I concur 100%.... run as per the door sticker, the max is just that... the max... not optimum pressure... the manufacturer has figured out the optimum pressure for you...
Ok, the door sticker says 32lbs, but it really looks low. I mean the side walls were bulging out. Is a tire supposed to look like that these days? What are you guys running these Michelins at?

Murunga

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Murunga said:
Ok, the door sticker says 32lbs, but it really looks low. I mean the side walls were bulging out. Is a tire supposed to look like that these days? What are you guys running these Michelins at?

Murunga

it may look low... but trust me... it is fine...

On my Avalanche I am running 325/60-18 Nitto's at 35PSI, they look low... but in 20k miles they are wearing perfectly even....

dont go by the "look" go by an air gauge

·
Registered
111 Posts
Checked the P225 60/R18 for the R/T's (Continental ContiContactTouring)

Tire states MAX PSI = 51lbs

Door states PSI = 30lbs

21lb difference. I do not have a gauge at the moment to see what they are set at, I have not modified the pressure, but they look fine to me.

Related Question:

My window sticker states the R/T's have a tire pressure monitoring system (sensors). Is this correct? If so it must be configurable. I will look more into that.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Murunga said:

Murunga
Michelins? Do you have the Road & Track package or something?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chargin06 said:

Door states PSI = 30lbs

21lb difference. I do not have a gauge at the moment to see what they are set at, I have not modified the pressure, but they look fine to me.

Related Question:

My window sticker states the R/T's have a tire pressure monitoring system (sensors). Is this correct? If so it must be configurable. I will look more into that.
The Continental tires I saw at the lot looked like they were propoerly inflated, they sat right. Its the Michelins that looked really low.
My manual shows that I have a tire pressure monitering system, but it never lit because it probably thinks that 32lbs is just fine, and maybe it is.

I droped the tires back to 40 lbs last night and they still look good. I still think 32 lbs is wrong, but this is probably just me being hard headed and stubborn, lol : ). I'd like to hear from soemone else with these tires.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Murunga

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The Tire pressure monitorig system is not a convenience thing. It's really more of a safety thing, so it's values are really low. I don't know what they are, I'll dig that up later, my guess is somewhere under 15 psi.

Try googling "judging inflation by eye", I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure you will get some good info. Also try tire maker websites, more to be had there, especially Firestone:)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
GLHS837 said:
The Tire pressure monitorig system is not a convenience thing. It's really more of a safety thing, so it's values are really low. I don't know what they are, I'll dig that up later, my guess is somewhere under 15 psi.

Try googling "judging inflation by eye", I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure you will get some good info. Also try tire maker websites, more to be had there, especially Firestone:)

tire pressure monitors in general come on when tire pressure is 5psi lower then recommended

as far as running your tires at 40PSI... your gas milage will go up, but your tread wear will suffer....

oh... in case you think that the recommended is wrong... remember... they pay engineers to figure this stuff out... not ******** saying... "ahh... 32psi is all you need to keep the rim off the ground"

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Something I'll have to check out is the air pressure placard on the Charger... the new rules say there should be 2 air pressures, one for normal drving and one for fully loaded vehicle...now it is possible that on the Charger they are the same. Run the pressure at the stated pressure by the manufacturer of the vehicle, the car is engineered to ride and handle a certain way. The air pressure is also set when the tires are cold, as you drive the tires warm up and the air pressure in the tires increase 4-5 psi, running the tires over inflated could alter the handling ( higher inflation pressures narrow the contact patch) and lengthen stopping distances, reduce wet handling etc.. Michelins sidewall technology alows them to "pooch" out a little more than most tires to improve ride ( but not handling). Hope this helps, p.s. the first thing I would do to improve the handling of the Charcer is to ditch the Michelins for something more sport tuned, like a pirelli or a yokohama...just my .02 after 12 years in the tire biz...

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Keeping in mind, of course that each brand does have performance tires. Actually, the Yokos on my SRT-4 are the lowest performance (but longest lasting:)) tires she's worn.
While the Michelin Pilot Sports and Bridgestone Potenza SO3 Pole Positions were great, but only lasted about 20K.

Tires have a lot of tech wrapped up in them. And a proper choice is going to be a careful weighing of factors. Maybe later I'll take a look at the 'rack to see what the choices are. I've kinda blown it off becuase the -8 is going to be it's own very exspensive baby, with it's own choices to be made.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To qoute-
"oh... in case you think that the recommended is wrong... remember... they pay engineers to figure this stuff out... not ******** saying... "ahh... 32psi is all you need to keep the rim off the ground"

Ok, I believe the engineers spend alot of time and money on this and I'm sure are very competent (I hope). But here's one thing I really have to wonder about-
How is it that the Continental tires on 17" rims use the exact same air pressure as the Michelin pilots on 18" rims? Is it due to the weight of the vehicle? Is it coincidence? Is it possible that the engineering was done with Continentals (which look right at 32 lbs) and they just put the same placard on the cars with the Michelins?

I know, I should just trust the placard as everyone says, but I do tend question what just doesn't look right to me. I'm going to a tire dealer today (Bell Tire) and get a professional opinion. I'll let you know what they say but I think I already know-
"The proper pressure is what the vehicle manufacturer says on the placard", lol. : )

Murunga
ps, they run great and look right at 40 lbs.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It is because the weight carrying capacity of a given tire at a specific psi... most likely, the Michelins matched the conti's ( or was very close to) load capacity at 32 psi, which saved DCx money on the placards. When you go visit your favorite tire shop, ask the if they have a michelin tire data book or "mast" book. In the front are all maners of pages full of diffrent types of data concerning tires. There is a section where it shows what tire size will hold what ammount of weight at any psi, which is valuable if you plan on upsizing rims and tires.

Also, the 18 inch tires and wheels are the same diameter as the 17 inch tires and wheels, which means you have a half-inch less sidewall to look at on the michelins than on the cont's...which could be why they look "flatter" to you. One other thing, Michelin's in general are more "squatty" in shape than other tires... Ask your tire store to show you two tires with the exact same size, one Michelin and one some other brand. Be prepared to be shocked to see how much diffrent the tires are in overall hight and width, It's a real eye opener, and also why I would never-ever change tires 2 at a time!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the Conti's, the placard states 30PSI... I tested mine with a nice gauge type system, and all 4 are sitting at 28psi... They look fine and properly inflated. I am thinking of bumping them to 30. The tires state Max Air of 51psi...

I will try the chalk test on these sometime soon...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
chargin06 said:
I have the Conti's, the placard states 30PSI... I tested mine with a nice gauge type system, and all 4 are sitting at 28psi... They look fine and properly inflated. I am thinking of bumping them to 30. The tires state Max Air of 51psi...

I will try the chalk test on these sometime soon...
28PSI and your low tire pressure light did'nt come on? I got a nail in my tire 4 days after I bought it. I had to have the wife look up the indicator in the manual while we were driving. Pulled into a gas station and my PSI was at 30 in that tire. When I put air in them the light did'nt go out until the PSI was at 32.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I guess the jury is out on this, I have no idea when the light is supposed to come on. These are definitely at 28 and no problems yet...

·
Registered
49 Posts
DO NOT RUN YOUR TIRES AT MAX PRESSURE. That pressure is the max. the car can tolerate under fully loaded conditions.

Always TRUST the placard in the driver door jamb. You should be at 30psi. Remember that after an hour of driving your tires will warm up and gain 1-2 psi. Drastic changes in the barometer will also affect psi....read further for proof.

The R/T has a tire monitoring system. I don't know what the alarm is set for. However, my car has been at 30 psi and is checked monthly. The saleshole from PLANET DODGE (y'all stink) NEVER MENTIONED ANY FRIGGIN' features (then yelled at me on the phone for giving him a poor review on my sales survey). After hurricane Katrina hit Miami I went to work the next day...a funny yellow light came on the insturment cluster so I pulled over to look it up. BEHOLD! I have tire pressure monitoring (saleshole!!) so I check and sure as anything I was 5 pounds low....had been checked days b4.

Planet....u stink!

·
Registered
6 Posts
chargin06 said:

Door states PSI = 30lbs

Related Question:

I too have these tires and they say on the tire that 51 PSI is the max. However, while driving it home to Texas from North Carolina I thought the handling was a little loose.......kinda mushy. So, I bumped them all up to 40 PSI and my handling impoved greatly plus I got about 2 miles a gallon better fuel miliage.
I like running 40 PSI for the reasons previously stated and unless anyone can convince me that this is a very bad thing, I don't see any problem in doing this. Yes, the ride is a little more bumpy, but the tires don't squat out anymore and the handling is much better, plus better fuel economy.

Any major problems with this?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts