Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock Continental Contact Pro tires that came with the car. On the tag in the door sill area it states to inflate the tires to 30 PSI. At that pressure the car seems to sway more on turns and bouncy on bumps so I inflated it to about 38 PSI.

Does anyone see me having any issues with having the tire pressure higher than recommended? I noticed that on the side wall of the tire it states it can handle up to a maximum of 51 PSI. Not that I would even think of inflating the tires anywhere close to that pressure.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I have the stock Continental Contact Pro tires that came with the car. On the tag in the door sill area it states to inflate the tires to 30 PSI. At that pressure the car seems to sway more on turns and bouncy on bumps so I inflated it to about 38 PSI.

Does anyone see me having any issues with having the tire pressure higher than recommended? I noticed that on the side wall of the tire it states it can handle up to a maximum of 51 PSI. Not that I would even think of inflating the tires anywhere close to that pressure.
You will wear out the centre of the treaded area before the outer edges and the risk of aqua-planing is higher. I would (and did with my own) go 34 - 36 for everyday driving - so I think that you are fine. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the ride to be firmer so I will leave it as is for a while and see what happens with the wear pattern on the treads. Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I like the ride to be firmer so I will leave it as is for a while and see what happens with the wear pattern on the treads. Thanks for the response.
Oh - don't get me wrong with the centre tread wear pattern - it only becomes very apparent when the tyre is quite worn as a whole - it's not like you have 8mm on the edge and 0mm in the middle.... Unless you go to silly pressures......! :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh - don't get me wrong with the centre tread wear pattern - it only becomes very apparent when the tyre is quite worn as a whole - it's not like you have 8mm on the edge and 0mm in the middle.... Unless you go to silly pressures......! :)
That's good to know. Then I won't keep as close of an eye on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts