Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, probably a problem that has been resolved or answered on this site many times. I just had some other direct questions about my situation to give me a heads up before I do anything more with it.

I own an 06 Daytona Charger with 11,900 miles on the clock. I did not drive it much in the last year. Just hit the 350 mile mark for a year's worth of driving today. But I noticed the TPMS warning light was on and would not go off. So I naturally went and checked all the pressure in all 4 tires. Everything perfect to oem specs. Read the owner's manual many times to be sure I was not missing out on something. According to what I read if the light flashes, there is a fault in the system. Plus you get a chime with it. With me, no flashes, no chimes. After going and checking all pressures, etc., I figured it should reset itself after 2 minutes of driving or a few miles. Drove it 13 miles to come home and there it still sits............ in the on position nice and amber.

Now then, from what I have read on the forums here and what common sense told me, there is a problem regardless. But I'm thinking one of the sensors has to be bad.

Anyone know how Dodge will check this problem? Do they have a way to know without removing all 4 wheels? Etc. Anyone with any knowledge that wishes to chime in and give me a heads up............it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
GRIM

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Okay, probably a problem that has been resolved or answered on this site many times. I just had some other direct questions about my situation to give me a heads up before I do anything more with it.

I own an 06 Daytona Charger with 11,900 miles on the clock. I did not drive it much in the last year. Just hit the 350 mile mark for a year's worth of driving today. But I noticed the TPMS warning light was on and would not go off. So I naturally went and checked all the pressure in all 4 tires. Everything perfect to oem specs. Read the owner's manual many times to be sure I was not missing out on something. According to what I read if the light flashes, there is a fault in the system. Plus you get a chime with it. With me, no flashes, no chimes. After going and checking all pressures, etc., I figured it should reset itself after 2 minutes of driving or a few miles. Drove it 13 miles to come home and there it still sits............ in the on position nice and amber.

Now then, from what I have read on the forums here and what common sense told me, there is a problem regardless. But I'm thinking one of the sensors has to be bad.

Anyone know how Dodge will check this problem? Do they have a way to know without removing all 4 wheels? Etc. Anyone with any knowledge that wishes to chime in and give me a heads up............it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!
GRIM
Does your EVIC show all 4 tire presures? that would tell you which wheel is giving a low presure signal... could just be a bad sensor....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is going to be a real stupid question. How would I pull up the evic portion to check? Have not had to meddle with any of it before. So this is new territory for myself.

THANKS!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine Flashes too... But because I changed my rims and tires I guess...

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
if the light is on , a tire is low

If the light is on and flashing there is a sensor issue.

Thats all there is to it.

If the pressure is for sure correct, then drive it for a couple days and it should go out. you have to go above x speed for y amount of time, its different on every car and i work on too many to remember.

Good luck

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Mine Flashes too... But because I changed my rims and tires I guess...
If it flashes , their is a sensor issue or the sensors are gone

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. No flashes at all!! Just stays on and that is all there is to it really. The sensors are all there, as this is an 11,900 mile car and the factory rims are still there with only a one time set of tires changed.

I've used several different (one at the station, manual in my glovebox, and digital) tire gauges to measure and be sure all 4 tires are set at factory specs of 32psi. So if all 3 gauges are giving me the same readings, then the tires have the right amount of air in them.

I drove the car at speeds between 30-55 mph for the 13 miles it took to come home. Even locked it in cruise mode for about 7 of those miles @ 50mph.

Nothing is resetting. Thus why I'm figuring a bad sensor. But would this not mean the light should flash instead of staying solid??

Driving it the next few days is not an option. Getting hit with rain and snow tomorrow through Sunday. So the car will sit.

Thanks for the thoughts again!!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
This is going to be a real stupid question. How would I pull up the evic portion to check? Have not had to meddle with any of it before. So this is new territory for myself.

THANKS!
Press the button above the compass button repeatedly until you get to the system o.k. screen. Then press the down arrow once and you will go to display for all 4 tire pressures.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
mmm I don´t know, but maybe you can re-calibrate, with the key and turning your tires...
but I don´t remember :S

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Press the button above the compass button repeatedly until you get to the system o.k. screen. Then press the down arrow once and you will go to display for all 4 tire pressures.
Just performed this task in between dodging snow flurries and slush. :alfdance:

The only 2 things that show up upon performing the task is the water temp and the oil pressure.

Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Do you have an SRT? If not, then you dont have that screen.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
there is no recalibrating on the chargers. on the ol intrepids yes, you needed a special tool and a vehicle walk around with the horn beep confirmation as you do on most fords after a sensor install. Very rarely do you ever recalibrate after a air up though. only after replacing parts or rotating tires. ON screens like you srt guys have with actual wheel display info, you rotate and can screw up where the car finds the sensors like in the ol intrepids, thats why you had to recalibrate.
A recalibrate is just a "wake up" to the module" The sensors put out the same info all the time you just have to "reset" the module if a new sensor is installed or sensors have been moved.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Cant speak for the lesser system, but ours has no issues with swapping tires, the car adjusts, I've rotated so many times, and never had an issue. I dont think you were saying that, but I could see how folks might misconstrue it.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
ya, srts' dont care. they relearn quickly. the intrepids and jeeps were bad about this. You had to unwrap the damn tire cover and all if you did a rotate on a wrangler. So you pull it in, rack the car, rotate the tires, undo the tire cover, calibrate the system, put the cover back on, take the car outside. all for .3 aka 18 minutes of pay

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '08 Charger. The TPMS indicator kept coming on even after I took the car to the dealer to check the nitrogen in my tires. After the 4th visit they finally decided to check the sensors. They hooked it up to the computer and found one of the sensors was reading inaccurately and had to manually reset all of the sensors. Took all of ten minutes.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Welcome, kimmy. If you want a ton of info on nitrogen in tires, just use the search block, the cliff notes are, if you pay for it, your wasting money, but if you get it for free, it doesnt hurt anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts