Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my tires in to get patched (nail in the tire) and while they were checking things they told me all my tires tread are at 4/32, about 15,000 miles since I got them. He said they're still fine but at the rate I'm going it'll be time to replace them in a few months.

The tires have 60K mile warranty, they're nice Continental DWS extreme contacts...so that seems awful quick to wear down so much. The guy said I'd get some money back but I specifically got these thinking they would last longer (maybe not 60K but at least 30 or 40...)

Is this normal with Chargers? I guess I'm just too much of a "spirited" driver...

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Zander:
If they are really worn that much, then you should get a fair amount back. 2/32nds is usually the standard for being no longer serviceable. It would not be safe in any level of water, and 4/32nds is not considered safe for snow.

Sometimes, you get a bad run of tires that wear too quickly, and sometimes the model of tire in question sacrifices longevity for performance. Unless you run autocross every weekend, or slide around every corner on two wheels, it's probably just the tires. In any case, I would not run tires that worn in our SW Ohio winters. I see you are in the great state of Texas, so possibly you can run them a bit longer.

Don

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think I'll be ok to 2/32 around here, especially since this winter has been unusually mild and lacking in any snow.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I don't think I've ever gotten more than 25k out of any tire for a performance car ever.

I got about 44k on Hankook Opitomo's on my wife's old 2013 Kia Sorento. I got about 37k on Michelin Defender's that I had on my 2008 Chevy Impala. But those werent vehicles with big motors.

Got about 21k on Cooper CS5 Ultra's on my 5.7 Charger.

Got about 12k on my Atturo AZ850's. Have about 17k on my Atturo AZ800's right now and they're down to 4/32. My wife has 18k on here Continental's on her Infiniti and they're shot.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Went through 2 sets of DWS's on my G8, 1 set a year, 12,000 miles and done! Last time I wasted my hard earned money on those tires! Switched to Michelin PS AS-3's, got almost 2 years out of the set. Switched to Generals and after 3 years still had tread when I traded the car in. Use Generals on my Charger now, great tires.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The tire life depends on the car more than the driver. I had a Crown Vic with Michelin Destinies on it. 55-60 was how far I could push those. I tried the Goodyear Assurance triple tread and they didn't last 12K. I went right back to the Michelin. My buddy ran the Assurance on his Subaru and got 65K out of them. My Fusion Hybrid came with those low rolling resistance E tires. 44K on the factory set. I tried some other brand after those. I lost 5 mpg and they only lasted 10K. Right back to the original set, right back to 42 mpg, and right back to 44K per set. My Charger came with the Goodyear Eagle, I have 23K on these after replacing the full set at 6K because of 3 defective tires. I'm at about 50%. I expect I will be replacing these before next winter. Hopefully I can find something with some good 'Charger Reviews' for less than $200 per tire, but if I can't, I'll go right back to the Goodyear. These tires have served me well so far.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I like my Premire A/S tires very much. Confidence in the wet is as advertised. Mileage is not.
So I get my tires at a shop that has Road-force balancers, life time free rotation, and do so every 4k, and when they hit the wear point I get another for about 1/2 price.

·
Registered
346 Posts
15000 miles out of a set of OEM tires? That's nuts! :surprise: Well, at least when mine wear out I'll likely install a good three-season tire on it instead of these "performance" tires. Then I'll be able to drive it more. They are downright scary on any road below 35 degrees.

When the "performance" tires wore out on the Miata I replaced them with a set of GoodYear Eagle tires and have been really happy with them. I have them stored right now because I have the winter tires and rims installed until spring. (Blizzak - FTW!)

Let us know how many miles you were able to get out of them when you get new ones.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I had several sets of dws, a couple sets of nitto motivos, and now some michelin as3+'s. I haven't had any of them until the end of their treadlife yet (very long story short, discount tire around here is incompetent and liars, and they've gotten replaced several times).

The DWSs I had were wearing at a rate where they'd last to about 30k miles at best. (They were great in the rain)

Nittos, didn't have them long enough to tell.

Michelins, 10/32nds new last January. Now about 13k miles later two were at 5/32nd and two at 6/32nds. So they ain't gonna last long either.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for that^ I'll peruse the TireRack website to read the reviews. Nothing like first hand opinions on stuff like this.

An interesting factoid I became aware of last year. On the Ford Escape I had, the guy at SquareTire told me that the all wheel drive system is "fussy" when it comes to different tire diameters. He told me that I'd have to replace all four tires at once because the difference between a set of old tires on the back and a new set on the front could give the transfer case a problem, perhaps destroy it. Are these Chargers as fussy? (I don't have the AWD, but am aware there are some here that do) Just curious.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
He's right, it's always a good idea with any AWD or 4wd system to keep the diameters the same all round, unless it was setup with different diameters front to back from the factory.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
And these next couple aren't on a charger, but me and my brother both have general gmax rs's on cars. Him on his e46 330 and me on my 928. I don't think either of us has had them long enough to comment on wear, but we both think they're good summer performance tires.

I also have general grabber at2 all terrains on my Durango, but that's really not relevant to chargers at all. The last set of Firestone ats I had on it seemed to be lasting close to their rated 50k, but I replaced them due to age and wanting different wheels.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Went through 2 sets of DWS's on my G8, 1 set a year, 12,000 miles and done! Last time I wasted my hard earned money on those tires! Switched to Michelin PS AS-3's, got almost 2 years out of the set. Switched to Generals and after 3 years still had tread when I traded the car in. Use Generals on my Charger now, great tires.
Yup the G8 GT could be hard on tires too, just like the Charger! Have had good luck with Michelin (P4S in summer) on my Scat Pack. I had an alignment issue which has been fixed so my treadwear should be better now. The wet traction of the P4S is incredible!

GTO_04

·
Registered
686 Posts
Tire makers warranty are based on highway miles. And if you want to get the claimed mileage on any tire you have to drive like you have an egg on the brake and one on the gas pedal.
They know this. What they rely on is the consumer not having documented rotations, and no doing it yourself doesn't fly.
My last set of Premier A/S's got 32k, and I got another set prorated to about 50%.

It used to be a PITA to deal with Michelin but now days if you have the paper work you don't even have to use the same dealer, or get the same tire, you can choose one of their other brand tires.

So you pay a premium for the 1st set and half price from there on. Burt you have to watch your odometer and get them rotated in time.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Tire makers warranty are based on highway miles. And if you want to get the claimed mileage on any tire you have to drive like you have an egg on the brake and one on the gas pedal.
They know this. What they rely on is the consumer not having documented rotations, and no doing it yourself doesn't fly.
My last set of Premier A/S's got 32k, and I got another set prorated to about 50%.

It used to be a PITA to deal with Michelin but now days if you have the paper work you don't even have to use the same dealer, or get the same tire, you can choose one of their other brand tires.

So you pay a premium for the 1st set and half price from there on. Burt you have to watch your odometer and get them rotated in time.
I have had real good luck with Discount Tire getting another set of Michelins prorated! Michelin and Continental are the only tire manufacturers that offer mileage warranties on their summer tires.

GTO_04

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have had real good luck with Discount Tire getting another set of Michelins prorated! Michelin and Continental are the only tire manufacturers that offer mileage warranties on their summer tires.

GTO_04
Copy that. When speaking with the Michelin rep about my last set he recommended a local Discount Tire for easy processing. He also explained some tire stores call in to get the rate and approval "NTB" for one, and some have in house processing, Discount Tire, Kaufman.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I recently got about 14k from my Falken Pro G4s - with a tire warranty of 45k miles, I got a healthy $111 back per tire towards a new set at Discount Tire. I bought them for $160 each, so basically $50 per tire for 20 months of use or so. I'm on Nitto Motivos now and they have a 60k warranty; I'm not under any pretense I'll get anywhere close to it, but that just means more warranty discount when I get new tires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Continental tires historically have a very soft compound and not unusual to wear completely at 30K. Horrible, I know. Plus if you're aggressive at all that will exacerbate it of course.

Try looking at Cooper or Goodyear. The Coopers are well priced w/ similar quality. That's what I did with my other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Continental tires historically have a very soft compound and not unusual to wear completely at 30K. Horrible, I know. Plus if you're aggressive at all that will exacerbate it of course.

Try looking at Cooper or Goodyear. The Coopers are well priced w/ similar quality. That's what I did with my other vehicles.
Depending on the tire type, 30K is not bad. That would be acceptable for Continental Extreme Sport DW summer tires. There is going to be a trade off between traction and tread life.

GTO_04

1 - 20 of 20 Posts