Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
in the us it depends on the state. your best bet is to ask a law enforcement officer in your are to get the local laws

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
DO NOT ASK LOCAL LAW ENFOREMENT.

just some of my experience.....
i was given a fix it ticket cause my tails are tinted.

Cop said you cant see my red any red reflectors on my tails. i have a medium tint. he said he also couldnt see them at night. ticket was given at 8am. was day time needless to say.

i found the state statue he was ticketing me for.

he misinterpreted the law and only tried to enforce just part of the law.

law in texas is at night 2 red reflectors but be able to be seen with low beams at a distance 100 to 600 feet.

I had photo evidence showing you could see my reflectors at night at the distance required by law.

I beat the ticket.

Cops dont always know the full law.
i had a print out of the statue. i asked the DA ( yes they made me goto court) what the statue was i broke. he didnt know for sure. i pulled out my print out and he said yeah that looks like it. i said ok good. here are my pics showing im good.

NO where in the state statue of texas does it say the red reflectors must be seen during the day, but it clearly states must be seen at night and at what ranges.

I won. cop lost.

go online and find the transportation code for your state/Provence. I now carry a copy of the code in question and my evidence pictures with me in the car. if the question ever comes up again with another cop i will show him the code.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In Alberta it is illegal to tint the taillights or obstruct them. Those ram head light covers for the Ram trucks are illegal as well. I don't think the RC's will stop you but your local police might.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
DO NOT ASK LOCAL LAW ENFOREMENT.

just some of my experience.....
i was given a fix it ticket cause my tails are tinted.

Cop said you cant see my red any red reflectors on my tails. i have a medium tint. he said he also couldnt see them at night. ticket was given at 8am. was day time needless to say.

i found the state statue he was ticketing me for.

he misinterpreted the law and only tried to enforce just part of the law.

law in texas is at night 2 red reflectors but be able to be seen with low beams at a distance 100 to 600 feet.

I had photo evidence showing you could see my reflectors at night at the distance required by law.

I beat the ticket.

Cops dont always know the full law.
i had a print out of the statue. i asked the DA ( yes they made me goto court) what the statue was i broke. he didnt know for sure. i pulled out my print out and he said yeah that looks like it. i said ok good. here are my pics showing im good.

NO where in the state statue of texas does it say the red reflectors must be seen during the day, but it clearly states must be seen at night and at what ranges.

I won. cop lost.

go online and find the transportation code for your state/Provence. I now carry a copy of the code in question and my evidence pictures with me in the car. if the question ever comes up again with another cop i will show him the code.
the only two questions I would have for you is can you prove the photographs you took of your tail lights are from the required distance as stated in your statute and if so, how?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
the only two questions I would have for you is can you prove the photographs you took of your tail lights are from the required distance as stated in your statute and if so, how?

took it on my street where my house is.
you can count the number of mailboxes/driveways between my car and the light source ( my motorcycle).

took pics with both high and low beams.

·
Registered
964 Posts
i also got a ticket for my tint tails... here in dallas this sat.. im goin to ask for a court date to get it dismissed since the reflectors can be seen from a 100 feet.. my tails arent that dark...

·
Registered
964 Posts
lol i live in dallas.... its just a hood that is called Ledbetter. haha... well my lights arent dark for them not to see my reflectors.. im sure they are able to be seen from 600 ft... i got a court date but till March 3 08

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AB canada sucks if its illegal... damn i hate this ****ing province.. the cops are so ****y. Anyways i was at a check-point one time and i had rolled my driver/driver-passenger windows down becuase they are 35% tinted (35% visibilty) so pretty dark and ofcourse illegal. And the cop asked if it was tinted and this was at night as he shined his flash light on my window as he asked me to roll it up and i told him it was factory tint. So he let me go lol, no questions asked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
you will always get the ticket
i asked 3 troopers one night and they all told me diferent things about the lights but all 3 stated that they would stop me for it
i guess it depends on their mood haha. thin im beter off with the clip on covers and a reflective sticker
im also in texas, eagle pass
im just woried when i go out of state ill get pulled over and cant go to court at that place.
i got a fix it ticket in florida for havong blue tint headlights on my jeep on the day time . rookie cop claimed i was impersinating a police officer. and i could not return to orlando to fight the ticket. eaven though i had texas tags and had only been in orlando for an hour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
According to Alberta HTA when applying the brake lights in sunlight they must be visible at a minimum of 250 m (820 ft). So if you can see your tinted lights at that distance they should not be an issue to use.

·
Registered
181 Posts
RET,
Keep reading. It also says that the taillight can not be obstructed in any way. That includes tint and the covers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Speaking from experience w/ other SRT drivers and their tinted/LED
conversion tail lights, Metro cops focus more on exhaust noise & our
prominent wing/spoiler :awkward:

Otherwise tinted tails seem to be overlooked by the local popo
(legal or otherwise)...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
took it on my street where my house is.
you can count the number of mailboxes/driveways between my car and the light source ( my motorcycle).

took pics with both high and low beams.
aaaaaaaaaand? I think there has to be more than ...yes your honour.. I have 14 mailboxes and 16 driveways between my camera and my car......therfore, I am right in my interpretation of the law.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
aaaaaaaaaand? I think there has to be more than ...yes your honour.. I have 14 mailboxes and 16 driveways between my camera and my car......therfore, I am right in my interpretation of the law.
and what do you want me to say?
kanuck laws are different the the country of Texas.

in the dfw metroplex most of the lots are pretty much the same size.

i live in watauga Texas. its indian for white trash. we dont have zero lot lines here but standard lots.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.