Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car overheated and then it wouldn't start. I was quoted over $2000 from one mechanic so I decided to get a second opinion. The second mechanic quoted me $1700. So I decided to go for it. Can you guys take a look at the receipt and see if I was ripped off?
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2005 Magnum, if I remember correctly it was going to be about 1200$ for the water pump and timing. A lot of work to get to them. While they are in there timing should be done if its older car. This was a local shop that I trust. Doesn't look to far fetched for the price. Call a dealer and get a price, I'm sure you will feel alot better after hearing what they would charge.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My car overheated and then it wouldn't start. I was quoted over $2000 from one mechanic so I decided to get a second opinion. The second mechanic quoted me $1700. So I decided to go for it. Can you guys take a look at the receipt and see if I was ripped off?
What do you drive?

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
When someone displays that level of vuagness and cant provide the basic information needed to assist them it's time to toss in the towel.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Oscar:
We all want to help. Think of going to your doctor, telling him/her you don't feel well, then answering subsequent questions with one word answers. It's very frustrating. Unless we know what we are working with, chances for success are not good.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oscar:
We all want to help. Think of going to your doctor, telling him/her you don't feel well, then answering subsequent questions with one word answers. It's very frustrating. Unless we know what we are working with, chances for success are not good.

Don
I did answer 2011 dodge charger SE

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm curious as to what diagnosis the shop(s) gave you. "No start after overheating" is a fairly common problem for a 2.7 or a pre-Eagle 5.7, but for a 3.6 Pentastar, not so much.

FWIW, the cost you've given for the water pump and timing kit is too rich for my blood.

But to be fair, the Pentastar is a DOHC design with four camshafts, so the job's not a stroll down a tree-lined promenade with a fine lady and a white poodle.

Reactions: Oscartron808

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious as to what diagnosis the shop(s) gave you. "No start after overheating" is a fairly common problem for a 2.7 or a pre-Eagle 5.7, but for a 3.6 Pentastar, not so much.

FWIW, the cost you've given for the water pump and timing kit is too rich for my blood.

But to be fair, the Pentastar is a DOHC design with four camshafts, so the job's not a stroll down a tree-lined promenade with a fine lady and a white poodle.
They pretty much said they needed to change those parts mentioned (timing kit, cam sensors, water pump, spark plus). They did notice a leak. I hope my car doesn't continue to over heat after paying them $1700

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
It sounds like they charged you for the parts needed for the older 3.5 V6, which uses a rubber timing belt that turns the water pump (all enclosed in the front cover of the engine) and is a real pain in the arse to change. The Pentastar 3.6 uses timing Chains, and the water pump has ZERO to do with them - the pump is external (just bolts on to the front of the engine).... I don't see why they had to fool around with the timing chains for an overheat condition.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
I don't see any mention that they pulled the heads. If they did, to replace head gaskets, and recondition the heads, I could see doing the timing chains, because they come off to get the heads off. If not, I would question why that was done.

Don

Reactions: RitzRT

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I don't see any mention that they pulled the heads. If they did, to replace head gaskets, and recondition the heads, I could see doing the timing chains, because they come off to get the heads off. If not, I would question why that was done.

Don
yeah, the OP didn't give use enough info as to what was going on with his engine, but the "invoices" he posted don't say anything about head gaskets...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the mechanic got back to me saying it's the head gasket. He says it'll be an additional $1500. I told him no. He says he will keep the $850 that I paid upfront so he can order the parts that I thought needed to repair my car. He says the parts are non refundable. So it looks like he stole my money

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
Oscar:
What condition is your Charger in at present? Is the engine intact, or at some level of disassembly? It's very strange to me what this "mechanic" was thinking in the first place. A timing issue could keep it from starting, but I can't see it being so far out of time (due to overheating) that it would not start. Possibly if there was excess wear or physical damage to the timing gear/chains. Overheating should not do that type of damage. I think it would seize or stall before that.

Is he saying that he has already ordered parts, that cannot be returned? At this point, if I were in your shoes, I would move to the damage control mode, and try to get back whatever money you can, and take it elsewhere.

Don

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Hecity I have getting quotes of 1800 just to install headers, that a rip off. These auto shops charge more than the Cardiologist. You have to shop around reasonable shop that has decent rates.
The Pentastar V6 does not use "headers", the exhaust ports are cast right into the head and a down pipe is bolted right to the head.... sounds like you are being ripped off by a bunch of clowns..

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts