1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer Satisfaction Notification P01
Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide
Models
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this repair on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this repair on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject
Repair
2009-2012 (LC) Dodge Challenger
(LD) Dodge Charger
(LX) Chrysler 300
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built from August 04, 2008 through July 10, 2012 (MDH 080406 through 071008).
The engine timing chain guide on about 50,800 of the above vehicles may fracture. A fractured engine timing chain guide could cause the engine timing chain to break. A broken engine timing chain will result in severe engine damage.
The engine timing chain, timing chain tensioner and timing chain guide must be replaced. Customer Satisfaction Notification P01 Engine Timing Chain and Chain Guide Page 2
Part Number Description
CBPRN291AA Engine Timing Chain Package
Each package contains the following components:
Quantity Description
1 Chain, Engine Timing
1 Guide, Engine Timing Chain
1 Tensioner, Engine Timing Chain
1 O-ring, Oil Pick-up Tube
1 Gasket, Engine Timing Cover
NOTE: Order two heater tube O-rings separately listed below for each repair.
Part Number Description
53013736AA O-ring, Heater Tube (order two per vehicle)
Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were assigned will receive enough Engine Timing Chain Packages to service about 5% of those vehicles.
Part

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Is this an upgraded part? or is there bad chain out there?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all the parts are upgrades, the most affected are Challengers for some reason. There have been a lot of broken chains and destroyed motors. Parts plus tuning possibly.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
all the parts are upgrades, the most affected are Challengers for some reason. There have been a lot of broken chains and destroyed motors. Parts plus tuning possibly.
Got a link to verify that? The VVT engines are different from the MDS engines. If a better chain and tensioner is available some of us might want to make a swap :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Well, dealer is putting a new chain and tensioner on my car. I'm willing to bet it will be the chain and tensioner from the 392.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a link to verify that? The VVT engines are different from the MDS engines. If a better chain and tensioner is available some of us might want to make a swap :bigthumb:

MDS only not affected, pre 2009. MDS with VVT 2009 and up affected. Parts do not interchange. these are the latest upgraded parts and Dodge will put them in for free.
Google search Challenger timing chain and you will find all the info.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hmmm so my '09 R/T with the 2.65 gears is not effected but ones with 3.06s and on up are? How does that make any sense? Should I still call my dealer and find out?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Timing Chain snapped on my 2010 AWD.. hasn't been the same since. Thought maybe it was something I did.(over shifting..maybe) but now im more inclined to think otherwise

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Timing Chain snapped on my 2010 AWD.. hasn't been the same since. Thought maybe it was something I did.(over shifting..maybe) but now im more inclined to think otherwise

know one guy who brought it in for the recall after his blew and when they opened it up and seen the previous damage they gave him a short block and heads. might be worth inquiring about

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got an e-mail from Dodge to schedule my appointment for the recall. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best Dodge dealer in the Tampa Bay area to take it to? I've been having issues with the dealer I've always brought it to and would like to find a dealer I feel better about. Currently I go to Dayton Andrews in St. Petersburg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recall

My 2011 went in Monday 7:00a - got call 3:00p car is done. Very good job and I got a 2013 Nesan for the day at no charge. They also did oil/filter change and out the door cost for me was $00:00 for all. I'm happy camper again and everything looks good with no problems.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If your car had spent most of it life with mds deactivated there is really no sense in going in for the recall anyways. Mds is whats wearing out the chain and causing them to break.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
Why would the gearing make a difference?

I've got almost 100k and this worries me now... as mine wouldn't be covered.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm almost positive its the gearing mixed with mds causing the trouble. The chain gets slack with only 4 cylinders are going and a hard hit from the gears plus the other 4 cylinders coming back on line under a hard throttle input is wearing them out and breaking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts