1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, the cop went overboard but that kid was a punk and with his attitude what does he expect to happen. Everyone has a bad night once in a while.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yes, the cop went overboard but that kid was a punk and with his attitude what does he expect to happen. Everyone has a bad night once in a while.
WHAT? The kid had a little attitude, however nothing that kid did was even remotely enough to justify thats cop's reaction. that cop threatened to make up charges, and arrest him for nothing. That is the exact oppisite of what the police should stand for.

If that were my kid, I would sue everybody from the governer on down.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Assuming the video is legitimate it has to have made it back to the department by now. Did anything happen to this idiot?

I don't even know if I would say he had an attitude. I didn't listen to the entire thing but sounded to me like his attitude was minimal at best. If the video is legitimate as it is I certainly don't agree with the way the Officer acted. Keep in mind these things are very easy to make and edit. We had two Officers recently that were going to be fired for an incident similar to this. Fortunately, a neighboring department (Cobb County) had also dealt with the same subject and they were smart enough to get a warrant for his recording equipment, pull the hard drive, and determine that he had edited the video and dubbed audio into it that never occured (he was using a laptop with a webcam in the car). The Officers were cleared.

If this is a true depiction of a stop, without knowing all of the circumstances, I would say it's an embarrasment for all of us in law enforcement. Having said that, I don't think you would find any of us that wouldn't agree that there are always bad apples, just like in any profession.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This happened to me 14 years ago after I was hit by a guy making an illegal turn. An accident that was not my fault. The responding officer went off on me. He threatened to lock me up if I didn't get in the tow truck. All I did was walk up and start to tell him what happened and he snapped on me. Believe me, I know how to respect an officer and wouldn't disrespect one. I was polite and nonconfrontational to the enth degree. I later learned he was friends with the guy who hit me. I was allowed to retrieve my bag phone (remember those) and proceeded to call one of my best friends (he's kinda like my adopted dad) who just happened to be this officers Sergeant. He was at the accident scene in 10 minutes (off duty). He pulled the tow truck driver aside and confirmed my story and after a few quick calls pulled the officer off of the call and dressed him down in front of me. I have a lot of friends in law enforcement. I met several through a job I had and then ended up in a club with a bunch. I'm fortunate to have these contacts because it is frightening to have somebody who can put you in jail actually threaten to do it. Especially when you've done nothing wrong. It feels really good being screamed at when there are pieces of your 1 year old vehicle scattered all over the road. I would go to the mat for a LEO but this kind of behaviour should always be dealt with harshly. It diminishes the respect for good LEO's because many people don't get to have the friendly interactions that I've had that offsets the small percentage of a$$hats who put on a uniform. I think that saying applies "Just because you have the power that doesn't give you the right".

·
Registered
318 Posts
Guy should be fired if this video if indeed it is true. Not much of an attitude. It did not warrant the actions of the officer. I had a similar cop in my home town that pulled me over multiple times to give me a hard time. He didn't like the fact that I was a young kid and drove such a nice car. Car was in my name, and he harrased me at least 6-7 times in the 5-6 years I played basketball in a gym in this town.

Well, if I only had a camera back then. Needless to say eventually he became a major story in the paper and lost his job as deserved. Cops are not above the law, and most are good cops.

The ones like these are normally the only ones we see and take this impression. I know many good officers and they do the very best they can at their jobs. Bad cops are out there, but they are low in number compared to the good ones.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wonder if it's real, but if it is, I think the kid had a small bit of attitude. However, who wouldn't? If you had done nothing wrong, say you just pulled in to grab a cd that had fell under a seat, a cop pulls up and throw the lights on, you're in a hurry to get home. I'd probably be going "WTF?" too.

At any rate, I do not envy cops pulling a car over, not knowing what's going on inside, what the driver's intentions are. I'm sure 9 times out of 10 everything's on the up and up, but that one time would still have me nervous and overly cautious. This doesn't excuse the cop's language though. He could be a bit ticked because the kid was being a bit disrespectful, but that doesn't mean you can just turn off the "nice cop, just checking to make sure you're ok" and be an ass. Once he realized it was just a kid by himself in the car, he could have intimidated him without threatening to throw him in jail, or make up something to arrest him on. That's just dumb.

I see both sides, but I don't think I would sue everyone for it. Everybody's too damn sue happy these days. I'd be perfectly happy with just making sure the video got out, and the cop had to suffer whatever consequences his superiors saw fit. And little "Jr" would be smacked in the mouth for not respecting a cop.

I'm curious to see what our officer members think of this.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's not okay when it happens to you. You have every right to ask what you've been stopped for. You have an obligation to be nonconfrontaional, obey lawful commands and provide legally required information. You shouldn't have to grovel or act happy about being stopped.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's not okay when it happens to you. You have every right to ask what you've been stopped for. You have an obligation to be nonconfrontaional, obey lawful commands and provide legally required information. You shouldn't have to grovel or act happy about being stopped.
I understand what you're saying, but anytime I'm pulled over I honestly try to think, even though I may be pissed, he's just doing his job, he doesn't know me or my intentions, so right off the bat he's on the defensive, so I should be overly respectful and polite.

And above that, the Golden Rule - do unto others....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I didnt see an attitude from the kid. He has every right to know what it was he did incorrectly - the timing of the question, "What did I do wrong, Officer?" may have been questionable. The police officer needs to be reprimanded - here he is dorkin around for 12-15 minutes with a guy who really didnt do anything wrong. I wonder how many drunk drivers crossed his path during that time? Looks like to me they were next to a busy street, if not a highway - at night. My guess would be that there was at least one.

Thats sad - police officers do need to be taught patience and respect: and drivers need to have a class that deals with how to handle getting pulled over.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The kid had a bit of an attitude, but the officer had no reason to threaten him with trumped up charges like that. I personal am no fan of the police, but I do know a few good one and they are personal friends. Are they are the first to talk about the bads ones. Would really love to know what happens to that officer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it is funny that during an interview with CNN the kid said that the tape from the police car was mysteriously missing and the officer has no idea what happened to it. Kind of looks like the cop is hiding evidence.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I understand what you're saying, but anytime I'm pulled over I honestly try to think, even though I may be pissed, he's just doing his job, he doesn't know me or my intentions, so right off the bat he's on the defensive, so I should be overly respectful and polite.

And above that, the Golden Rule - do unto others....
I agree that you "should" be polite. It can only help your situation. But having a smart mouth is not a crime. The officers I know are not defensive. The are vigilant, prepared and observent. They can smell a rat or a lie a mile away and they know that keeping a person talking is the key to finding out what's going on. If they're yelling they can't be listening. Threatening to make up charges is one of the worst things an officer can do. It destroys all trust. When people see or hear of an abuse like this they picture it happening to themselves or their spouse or their children. A police department needs to be in harmony with the community they serve. It will always lead to more cooperation and goodwill. When I see something like this, I not only feel bad for the person it happened to, I feel bad for all of the good officers in the community who will have this thrown in their face by real offenders (and defense attorneys).

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
That just makes me wonder how many other people he has treated like that and gotten away with it in his 20+ years of being a cop. That was ridiculous. He should be prosecuted for something

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hey GM, whassup? I want to be clear here, I am NOT bashing or hating, but this incident is by no means uncommon.

I have personally run afoul of the PO'd cop who just didn't like my driving style. I've had my rear end chewed OFF even though I committed no ticket-able violation. I have been running a camera while driving for a couple of months now, similar to this guy, due to having been hassled before. That was HIS stated reason for installing it, a ticket he didn't think he'd deserved, but the courts always take the officers word without proof to the contrary.

I DO believe that this is not a common problem for most LEOs, but as stated the stress level of the job has elevated over the years. It's obvious that at least a few officers are having a hard time handling it. Anger is just as addictive as any other drug, and some use poor innocent motorists to "get it off their chests" occasionally. Since it's happened to me, I knew long ago that this sort of story would come out eventually. But when I've stated my incidents with officers in the past on this forum, I've been attacked and told that it must have been my fault, that my 'attitude' must not have been right. I'll point out the skepticism that greeted this thread in the first few posts, until the story played on NATIONAL news, before anyone gave it credence.

Next time a taxpaying citizen with no criminal record questions the behaviors, attitudes and current practices of law enforcement officers, perhaps some will start to pay attention and consider that it might be a valid question.

REB

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey, Reb. I was wondering when you'd jump in! :)

...but this incident is by no means uncommon.
I DO believe that this is not a common problem for most LEOs...
Ok, you lost me. Is it an uncommon or common problem, in your view?

Anger is just as addictive as any other drug, and some use poor innocent motorists to "get it off their chests" occasionally.
Unfortunately, the sergeant allowed himself to lose control. It's the violators that usually do the yelling and berating.

Since it's happened to me, I knew long ago that this sort of story would come out eventually.
Heck, Reb, an officer yelling at someone is hardly "news". :)

But when I've stated my incidents with officers in the past on this forum, I've been attacked and told that it must have been my fault, that my 'attitude' must not have been right.
In this case, I think both the "victim" and the officer acted inappropriately. After just having 3 officers shot in Miami for investigating a suspicious vehicle in a burglary-prone area, I can see why the sergeant was on edge. However, that's no excuse for him to lose it. The "victim" should have been a bit more cooperative initially. I think he was looking to get good video, and he got it.

Next time a taxpaying citizen with no criminal record questions the behaviors, attitudes and current practices of law enforcement officers, perhaps some will start to pay attention and consider that it might be a valid question.
Questioning behaviors and tactics of police are not reserved for the "taxpayers" or those free of criminal histories. There is, however, a time, place, and protocol for the questioning... hopefully after the investigation officer has no reason to believe you intend to kill him.

This could have all been avoided if the young man would have simply shown his i.d. when asked and not been uncooperative.
This could have all been avoided if the sergeant would have kept his cool.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
From the website:

A check of court records shows Kuehnlein himself pleaded guilty of assault and stealing in two different cases, in 1988 and 1990. He successfully petitioned a judge in St. Louis County in 1998 to expunge his criminal record, which was making it hard for him to get work as a cop.

The judge ordered those records sealed, as well as records of an acquittal for drunken driving and an assault arrest that did not result in charges.
Ok, now tell me, ultimately who's fault was this? A certain judge maybe?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts