Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the thing - it would be easy enough to go to the local Goodyear dealer and buy a new set of Goodyear RSA's, but can I do better? I don't know a lot about the new tires sizes, so other that the standard 245/45ZR20's, what other options and brands do I have without screweing up the accuracy of the speedometer and odometer, and will fit the fender wells without rubbing?

So far I see the following tires in the correct size as above:

Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Avon Tech M550 A/S
Kumho Ecsta ASX
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico RFT
Toyo Tires Proxes

Also, for those of you that order tires, how do you get them mounted and balanced?

TIA for the help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I assume you were looking at Tirerack.com If you read the customer reviews from this site you will find scores from 0 to 10 on every one of these tires. Each tire will have people that say... "Best tire I ever owned..." and "Worst tire blah blah..." However, I noticed that each of these tires had well over 1000 reviews. With this high number of reviews it should give you a pretty good cross-section of people that results in accurate data. Here are the overall ratings.

Eagle F1 7.54
Goodyear RSA 5.94
Avon 8.04
Kumho 7.95
Pirelli (no data)

Price is another factor that you will have to consider. Then of course there are plenty of folks that have an issue with putting non-US brand tires on a Charger. Good luck and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A lot of SRT8 owners have put on Toyos with great things to say. That was enough to get me to order some, they just got in yesterday but are not on the car yet. They are described as an all-season tire just like the RSA's and by looking at the tread pattern they should bite through a little snow...probably just as good as the RSA's. The cheapest place to get them is www.tiredeals4less.com

I got the 255/45r20 and will run them all the way around so I can rotate. It's my understanding that the speedo is calibrated for the 245s so it will read slighty slower than what I'm actually doing, but only off by about 1%. I currently have the staggered F1's and if the speedo is based on the rear tires I guess I've been slightly speeding all along anyway.

Eric

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Price is a factor but it shouldn't be the detemining factor in the equation...what about performance? Do you want it to hold the road better than those RSAs you had?

I shopped and shopped for tires for my Banana...read the reviews got honest opinions from some tire places (others were just trying to sell me what I didn't want)...and finally chose to go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. They grip like crazy in the rain and on the dry...I've been nothing but happy with them! I'm still waiting to see how they grip on a good 1/4 track...I went 2 weeks ago but nobody was gripping...so that wasn't really a good test. So the wait continues!

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Carlos,

That is the size I changed to. Took off the RSA's and replaced with the Toyo Proxes 4's. 245/45/20 front and 275/40/20 rear. Made a world of difference in handling, etc... The car looks better too with the staggered look. These tires are uni-directional so there is no rotation even sise to side. I don't drive it too much so its not a problem for me. Still have the RSA's in the garage collecting dust.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Carlos,

That is the size I changed to. Took off the RSA's and replaced with the Toyo Proxes 4's. 245/45/20 front and 275/40/20 rear. Made a world of difference in handling, etc... The car looks better too with the staggered look. These tires are uni-directional so there is no rotation even sise to side. I don't drive it too much so its not a problem for me. Still have the RSA's in the garage collecting dust.
Post some picks!!! would love to se how your car looks!!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input all! Let me say I need to stick with All Seasons due to the winter conditions here in Wyoming. I'd love the performance of the F1's, but not possible with the snow and ice. FWIW, the RSA's do just fine in the snow and I didn't hae any problem with them last winter.

I'd also like the staggered look although 275 seem to throw off the speedo by almost 3 mph. Not a problem I guess if I opt for a Diablo Predator to reprogram it.

The question still remains as to how you get them mounted and balanced if you buy them on line?

The numbers for the Avon and Kuhmo tires look pretty good (performance wise for an ASR) and the price isn't bad. I'd prefer to buy American, but price is a factor for me especially if I want to keep buying other goodies like a Predator. For the price of the RSA's locally here in Cheyenne, I can order the Avon's on-line AND a Predator, minus what it may cost for mounting and balancing somewhere.

If I have to buy locally just so I can get them mounted and balanced, that will limit my choices although Denver is only 90 minutes away.

More help maybe???? I really don't know much about tires, at least like I did in the "old" days.

I know my dealer also sells the RSA's, Toyo and Nitto's but I don't know pricing there. I have to take the Charger there tomorrow to get the coolant system flushed and cleaned up from the white gunk issue, plus a new 3rd brake light, so I will check then.

In the meantime, here's my SRT8:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While at the dealership today getting my cooland issue worked on, I found out that if I want to order tires on line, I can have them shipped directly to the dealer and they will mount and balance them for me. These guys really are pretty good to me. Champion Dodge in Windsor, CO. on Highway 34.

·
Registered
74 Posts
does 255/45/ZR20 fit on the front? Aern't they just wider? so rubbing might be a issue, but not the speedo right?

Thanks to this board I just learned the front and back are different sizes, went out to the vehicle and confirmed.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, now I'm torn. Part of me really wants the ability to rotate tires in which case I'd stay with 245/45/ZR20's all the way around, probably in the Avon or Kuhmo. However, some nice 275/40/ZR20's on the rear would look great. Of course, with the wider tires the burnouts wouldn't be easier. I am convinced to stay with 245/45 on the front.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Well, now I'm torn. Part of me really wants the ability to rotate tires in which case I'd stay with 245/45/ZR20's all the way around, probably in the Avon or Kuhmo. However, some nice 275/40/ZR20's on the rear would look great. Of course, with the wider tires the burnouts wouldn't be easier. I am convinced to stay with 245/45 on the front.
Nice ride Aremel...

I can't believe that you drive it in winter! I garage my baby... I'm loving the performance of my definitely non-winter tires. I drive a beater for the harsh winter months here...makes me appreciate my baby even more when I take her out in the spring. If i were to drive a car year round (like I did with my Intrepid, i would go with a dedicated summer tire and a winter tire for winter... you give up performance in either season when you choose an "ALL" season tire. Just my .02. :knockout:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
does 255/45/ZR20 fit on the front? Aern't they just wider? so rubbing might be a issue, but not the speedo right?

Thanks to this board I just learned the front and back are different sizes, went out to the vehicle and confirmed.
This is a question I asked a few weeks back, and got a couple of responses that there were several people running the 255/45/20 up front with no rubbing issues. I was all ready to buy them for all four (I want to be able to rotate), but when I cranked the wheel, and look at the inside of the wheel/rim, I don't see how anything even slightly wider won't rub up front. So I have been waiting to read more feedback before I do anything.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you look at the nitto invo's, thoese tires look kick a$$, plan on getting some next spring.
I am going the 245 front and 275 rear.
http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.invo
I like the looks but I don't think they're much good for the snow. I'd love to have them though.

Nice ride Aremel...

I can't believe that you drive it in winter! I garage my baby... I'm loving the performance of my definitely non-winter tires. I drive a beater for the harsh winter months here...makes me appreciate my baby even more when I take her out in the spring. If i were to drive a car year round (like I did with my Intrepid, i would go with a dedicated summer tire and a winter tire for winter... you give up performance in either season when you choose an "ALL" season tire. Just my .02. :knockout:
Well, I look at it a little differently I guess. I absolutely love driving the Charger and I take absolutely great care of it. But, it's my "car" and therefore my means of tranportation around here. I sometimes think that my wife and I having two cars is a luxury, let alone that the are both relatively new and one is an SRT8. I'm very lucky to have this car. Having a third car is neither practical or very possible where we live.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the looks but I don't think they're much good for the snow. I'd love to have them though.
woops didn't catch that.

Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Not a great tire, but will do. $168.00(rather go with the kumho's)

Avon Tech M550 A/S
wow, vary comparable to the kumho's $158.00

Kumho Ecsta ASX
Actually one of the best ratings I have sean for an all season performance tire acording to tire rack. $167.00 good price also.

Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico RFT
IS actually a suv/truck tire, not sure if that matters though probably not a good performing summer tire. Alos I belive RFT is a run flat tire so it will be $$$ actually $261.00

Toyo Tires Proxes
Hard to find info on, but would guess great for dry and rain, but might be questionable on snow.

I would vote Kuhmo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts