Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '06 Daytona into the shop last week for service...including rotating the tires. He got three of the tires off without issue. He got to the front right, and NONE of the lug nuts would loosen up. He asked me if I had anyone work on the tires and I answered, "only you guys". This shop is owned by my buddy, who I trust 100%. He's been in business for over 25 years.

I watched his mechanic try to take those lug nuts off, and they just wouldn't budge. He got concerned that the lug nuts or lugs would be damaged, so he ordered some just in case. I took it back in today to get the job done.

To make a long story short, after a lot of different tools (power and non-power), he finally just had to chisel the caps off of the lug nuts. That allowed him to get all but one of the lug nuts off. The last one got terribly rounded, and he had to drill it out / replace the lug.

Both the mechanic and my buddy said they had NEVER seen a lug nut bound that tight before. Have any of you had any issues with these, or heard about issues with these? We found it curious that the original nuts looked gold on the threads and the new ones were silver...perhaps because there had been problems with the originals?

Needless to say, my standard service ended up running me $225 -- OUCH!

·
Registered
871 Posts
That's what happens when you use an air gun to put the bolts back on and they are put on wrong on the threads.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I took my '06 Daytona into the shop last week for service...including rotating the tires. He got three of the tires off without issue. He got to the front right, and NONE of the lug nuts would loosen up. He asked me if I had anyone work on the tires and I answered, "only you guys". This shop is owned by my buddy, who I trust 100%. He's been in business for over 25 years.

I watched his mechanic try to take those lug nuts off, and they just wouldn't budge. He got concerned that the lug nuts or lugs would be damaged, so he ordered some just in case. I took it back in today to get the job done.

To make a long story short, after a lot of different tools (power and non-power), he finally just had to chisel the caps off of the lug nuts. That allowed him to get all but one of the lug nuts off. The last one got terribly rounded, and he had to drill it out / replace the lug.

Both the mechanic and my buddy said they had NEVER seen a lug nut bound that tight before. Have any of you had any issues with these, or heard about issues with these? We found it curious that the original nuts looked gold on the threads and the new ones were silver...perhaps because there had been problems with the originals?

Needless to say, my standard service ended up running me $225 -- OUCH!
some friend to charge u for that.He should have just charged u for parts if that was ur homie

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
I had an identical problem.
The dealership service department tightened them to the point of having to chisel them off.
Of course, I had to pay for replacement lugs even though they were the only ones that had ever worked on the car. I have to say it again, Yellowknife Chrysler sucks.
Not only that, the lugs they had pulled off were different sizes. Imagine. It makes you feel really good about the quality of the car you just purchased.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I always state "please don't use air powered lug nut wrentches on my car, please tighten the lug nuts with a torque wrentch". Over tightening your lug nuts can also warp your brake rotors causing shaking when you apply the brakes. You got to keep the air wrentches away from all your cars for the rest of your life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts