Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you having problems with the tie rod ends? The wife took her charger in on Friday for an oil change and now she will not be getting it back until this week some time. Both tie rods are done (2nd one on the pass side) and there are 400 on back order according to dodge. WTF????

Anyone else having this kind of problem?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
yes its a known problem on the chargers. Search tie rods on the forum and watch your screen come alive

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
For the outers, you can drill/tap them and install zerk fittings and grease them. That's not going to help on the inners though....maybe someone from the aftermarket will step up?

Best,

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they replaced the whole front rack on the car instead of just the tie rods. Wheel alignment again and she gets it back tomorrow. No charge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to chage both of them at about 35K miles. Had a klanging noise, thought it was the sway bar bushings, but it was the tie-rods. They were replaced under warranty. Hope the new ones lasts longer cause my basic warranty is finished.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
That's funny, I have 40k miles and have been hearing some clunking noises I thought sounded like sway bar bushings. I guess I better take her in sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
if your car is out of warranty do the outers yourself. Its a ten min procedure and saves you nearly $50 .

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I got the 100k warranty, so I'll just do that. I've retired from wrenching. Most of my tools are American and it always seems I don't have the right metric size for stuff when I try to work on a modern car.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Any of you having problems with the tie rod ends? The wife took her charger in on Friday for an oil change and now she will not be getting it back until this week some time. Both tie rods are done (2nd one on the pass side) and there are 400 on back order according to dodge. WTF????

Anyone else having this kind of problem?
Just talked to my buddy who has a 06 R/T. He already had one side replaced, brought the car in to have the other side replaced, two months later. He noticed a noise as he would turn up into his driveway over the curb.

When he brought his car in yesterday, the service manager said it was common. He asked why there wasn't a recall, the manager started to back pedal a little, apparently he thought he should have said anything. The manager said in wasn't really a safety issue.

Anyway the tie rod is on backorder, so he'll have to come back when they are in. This is at a dealer in Il.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the car back now but have not driven it. The wife says that it feels a lot tighter now. I will have to go out and wash it tonight, so I will get to try it out.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I took my car in several times with this clunking noise and every time it was something different...first, they replaced my links, then they told me it was my sway bar bushings...which I had put on in June...started to make noise in August...what do you guys think? They did state that the tie rods were good, and that they didn't know of the problem everyone here is speaking of... should I take it back to the garage?

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
my Charger was just diagnosed with right tie rods being bad yesterday. the service manager i talked to said the was a service bulletin or something out about it.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Hey Derek...have you proof-read your signature? My guess is no...what are panITES? I know what panTIES are but panITES, not a clue! :grin:

What kind of sound was your car making?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I had both my outer tie rods replaced (at 50,000mi under the Maxcare warranty) while I was visiting up in Massachusetts. I noticed some unusual tire wear on my front passenger tire and took it in for an alignment to a local tire store there and they diagnosed the problem. I had those tie rods replaced under warranty and then had an alignment done. Even the tire store knew about the tie rod problems on the LX cars. They had just done a 300C not long before they did mine.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had clunking, I had one outer tie rod replaced, no more clunking. Though, I'm pushing up to my warranty and really thinking of trying to convince them to do the other side as well--though I really don't have much of an argument to do so, because I'm not hearing anything any more.

Zandian.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I'm at 32k and felt some clunking when going over bumps at low speeds. My left outer tie rod end was bad and was replaced under warranty. Now I'm seriously concerned about the right one going bad after my warranty period ends at 36k!

Zandian
x 2 :yes:

I just took mine in earlier this week for 30,000 mile service and they replaced mine under warranty. I did not notice a clunking but did notice a slight vibration when stopping. I figured it was just bad rotors. (I have those too) Also, has me thinking about the extended warranty now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts