Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My regular mechanic told me my tie rod ends were bad and I should take it in under my extended warranty. I did so, and when I arrived at the dealer the guy told me, "We hear that all the time, but the tie rod ends never go bad on these cars. I don't know why all the oil change places tell people they have bad tie rod ends."

Well, the dealer looked at my car and decided that yes, my tie rod ends are bad. They replaced the entire steering rack. The guy said you can't get just a tie rod end, you have to replace the whole front end.

Is that true? I don't really care because I only paid my $100 deductible under my extended warranty, but that sounds extremely odd and dumb. If it's true, it must have been a German who made that decision.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, its true you must replace the whole steering rack to replace the rod ends.

And as a German AND an engineer, I find your comment offensive.
Outer tie rods are replaceable, less than $25 each plus labor and toe alignment. INNER tie rods are only replaceable with after market parts so dealers replace the whole rack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Inner Tie rods are replaceable-New Service procedure

Dr. No,

Hello, This is Brian Carotenuto. Just to let you know, I had to have one of my inner tie rods replaced in my 300. The dealer originally told me that the entire rack had to be replaced and the technician had located an update to the service procedure that said that the inner tie rod could be replaced w/o replacing the entire rack.

I hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Brian T. Carotenuto

·
Registered
289 Posts
the guy at the dealership was full of sh$t!!! i had the same problem when i bought my car used...dealership replaced just the tie rods on both sides and gave a front end alighnment. the tie rod ends just thread onto the tie rods them selfs...this is how they adjust camber on you front end...all cars tierod end are replaceable...end of story!

·
Registered
289 Posts
now did you have bad inner tie rods? outer ..yes can be replaced..inners are much harder too do but they can be done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Took mine in for clunking noise in steering column. Mechanic verified noise inner ball sockets worn written on WO.I guess inner ball socket is the inner tie rods.They replaced rack assy. and sway bar link bushings.Only got 15k miles on car.Was replaced on 3-22-08 so I guess the they didnt get the up date on replacing inner tie rods only or inner ball socket is not the inner tie rods.But there still a clunking noise still comming from steering colmn when turning making full turns to park. Will take back again for noise before regular warranty expires in 3 months.They have taken care of me so dont want to bring a come back job.Glad they found problem with rack.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
man i'm having this same clunk "sometimes" when i'm making ful turns as well! Had the car at the dealership getting an oil change and asked them to inspect the the drive assembly....of course they told me everything was fine...i'm going to go elsewhere to get a 2nd opinion!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Unbelievable.

Dealerships are supposed to be the reference for information on our cars.

·
Registered
167 Posts
the guy at the dealership was full of sh$t!!! i had the same problem when i bought my car used...dealership replaced just the tie rods on both sides and gave a front end alighnment. the tie rod ends just thread onto the tie rods them selfs...this is how they adjust camber on you front end...all cars tierod end are replaceable...end of story!
OUTER tie rods thread on the steering rack shafts and are replacable. INNER tie rods have NO Chrysler part number and are replaced as part of the rack assembly only. INNER tie rods part numbers can be found in after market AUTO PARTS STORES, so yes they can be replaced. IF there is a new part # for inners as GOSSAME 1 says in his post not all dealers are aware of it. TOE IN is the only alighnment procedure to be done.CAMBER (angle of the tire) should not be done and is NOT AJUSTABLE on our cars. CAMBER is only ajusted with special removal and installation of OFF CENTER BOLTS. The camber BOLT KIT is mostly used in suspension lowering modifications or after a accident and correct camber is needed.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes, its true you must replace the whole steering rack to replace the rod ends.

And as a German AND an engineer, I find your comment offensive.
Es tut mir leid.

You shouldn't find it offensive, though, German engineering is the antithesis of simplicity. If only the Krauts could have built a simpler tank they may have beaten the Russians. :)

Thanks for the info, guys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes that's true, I replace the rack and pinion just for one tie rod end was bad and the price was around 700.

·
Registered
289 Posts
my bad...i meant toe-in...sorry, but i think the info for after market inner tie rod ends is trikeling down to dealers..i have heard this at the dealership i had mine replaced at...but i was unaware that they were aftermarket. well i guess if it is a warrented part then i guess it is better to get a completely new rack then just tie rod ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OUTER tie rods thread on the steering rack shafts and are replacable. INNER tie rods have NO Chrysler part number and are replaced as part of the rack assembly only. INNER tie rods part numbers can be found in after market AUTO PARTS STORES, so yes they can be replaced. IF there is a new part # for inners as GOSSAME 1 says in his post not all dealers are aware of it. TOE IN is the only alighnment procedure to be done.CAMBER (angle of the tire) should not be done and is NOT AJUSTABLE on our cars. CAMBER is only ajusted with special removal and installation of OFF CENTER BOLTS. The camber BOLT KIT is mostly used in suspension lowering modifications or after a accident and correct camber is needed.
Does anyone know what after market stores have these inner tie rod ends ? I can't find them. I have 86000 on my 2006 RT and don't really want to do a whole steering rack. I just got tires and found out about this problem or I would have traded the darn thing in.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Does anyone know what after market stores have these inner tie rod ends ? I can't find them. I have 86000 on my 2006 RT and don't really want to do a whole steering rack. I just got tires and found out about this problem or I would have traded the darn thing in.
i've been actually looking myself just for the gen smarts.

so far this is all i've found:

Duralast / Tie Rod End for a 2006 Dodge Charger

ALLDATADIY

About this product:
Part Number: ES3571
Weight: 1.5 lbs.
Warranty: LLT

Note: Outer

Pricing: $17.99

Availability:
Store: Not Available
Online: Ships within 2 business days
will post back when i find the inner for ya.

Edit: heres the inner from moog:

·
Registered
323 Posts
hmm

What are the some of the symptoms of bad tie rod ends/steering rack problem?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What are the some of the symptoms of bad tie rod ends/steering rack problem?
Looseness

"Clunk" when steering

Sometimes if tie rods bad, hitting a bump on highway will affect steering and feel sway.

tire wear being excessive

jack the car up and grab the tire, there will be play when you try to turn the tire left to right and vice versa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looseness

"Clunk" when steering

Sometimes if tie rods bad, hitting a bump on highway will affect steering and feel sway.

tire wear being excessive

jack the car up and grab the tire, there will be play when you try to turn the tire left to right and vice versa

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Anyone know where Joe Average can purchase this MOOG EV80702 inner tie rod part ? Can't find one anywhere.
best thought i have would be to check with a local auto parts store that sells moog and prob have em special order. around here we have pep boys and a place called salvo auto parts that i would go to...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts