Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taking an informal poll on how many people have had to replace there outer tie rods on there charger?? Mine were at 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Kinda off the Tie-Rods, I had to replace my sway bar links today because of knocking on bumps at low speed. They were in horrible shape (loose) at 6K miles.

Dealership is backed up, so I took it to my local alignment friend and had him R/R them. I bought the links from Dodge for $26.50 each (close to employee price) for a total of $53.00 Alignment place charged me $45.00 for the install. $98.00 total fixed.

I know they were warranty, but did not want to wait a day or so for them to fix the issue - and I could have installed them myself, but it is raining and I am lazy!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had my drivers side replaced at 20K. I'm now at 40k miles. I was just under the car this afternoon and the passenger side feels loose as compared to the drivers side. I can grab the passenger side tie rod with my hand and with no effort, rock it back and forth. The newer one on the driver's side it too tight for me to rock. I'm also getting a steering shimmy at around 70-75 mph. I just had new tires put on ~600 miles ago and I was experiencing the same shimmy before and after the new tires.

<snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant> i go... I go... off to the dealer I go... snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant>

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had my drivers side replaced at 20K. I'm now at 40k miles. I was just under the car this afternoon and the passenger side feels loose as compared to the drivers side. I can grab the passenger side tie rod with my hand and with no effort, rock it back and forth. The newer one on the driver's side it too tight for me to rock. I'm also getting a steering shimmy at around 70-75 mph. I just had new tires put on ~600 miles ago and I was experiencing the same shimmy before and after the new tires.

<snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant> i go... I go... off to the dealer I go... snowwhite and 7 dwarves chant>
The dealer replaced my other tie rod. So now, both tie rods have been replaced. They are a different design than the originals that came on the car. I bet they updated the design.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just got the R/T from the dealer yesterday and they replaced the rack and pinion, fixed the rattle in the sunroof, fixed the dead temp gauge, and they upgraded the TCM with the latest version. I love warranty work!!! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Noob question. what does the tie rod look like? also could you post your symptoms of this problem? i think i might be having this problem. everytime i go over a bump fast i here a rattling in the back right side under my car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tie rod ends are in the front of the vehicle, so your noise over bumps would not be from these. They connect to the steering rack/gear and when you turn your steering wheel they move the steering knuckles, hence turning your front wheels.

·
Registered
473 Posts
steering shimmy could also be from improper tire balancing

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just taking an informal poll on how many people have had to replace there outer tie rods on there charger?? Mine were at 12,000 miles.
Mine are being replaced @ 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Tie rod ends are in the front of the vehicle, so your noise over bumps would not be from these. They connect to the steering rack/gear and when you turn your steering wheel they move the steering knuckles, hence turning your front wheels.
Just left a post about this yesterday http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51968(Steering Rack). My car is at the dealers now waiting for a new steering rack and tie rods. Seems like a common bug in the car after reading all these posts.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
They could be. Bumps aren't always 100% up/down. The tie-rods are the only things keeping your wheels pointed in the right direction at any given time, so if there is some looseness in the ball joints, this could (in extreme cases) result in noise.

Now if the shop is diagnosing bad tie rod ends when in reality it's the rack that's messed up... now THAT'S messed up!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
They could be. Bumps aren't always 100% up/down. The tie-rods are the only things keeping your wheels pointed in the right direction at any given time, so if there is some looseness in the ball joints, this could (in extreme cases) result in noise.

Now if the shop is diagnosing bad tie rod ends when in reality it's the rack that's messed up... now THAT'S messed up!
Sure is.... mine is defiantly the rack, but service said they will also be replacing the rods also. This problem seems to be popping up everywhere now... and I believe the dealers are aware of it cause he didn't give me no "lip" when I told him about the knocking noise in the front passenger side.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sure is.... mine is defiantly the rack, but service said they will also be replacing the rods also. This problem seems to be popping up everywhere now... and I believe the dealers are aware of it cause he didn't give me no "lip" when I told him about the knocking noise in the front passenger side.
I'm pretty sure my rack's shot too but I'll let em put the tie rods on it 1st.

I'll be the 1 taking it to the alignment shop so I'll get a chance to check it out before they waste time on an alignment.

It's a very small dealer in a very small town. They treat me great so I try to have pateince W/them.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Just picked up my car.... what a difference!! Steering is as tight as a drum head now. NO knocking noise, and runs straight. They changed the rack, replaced both rods, and did an alignment as promised. All covered.

I told the service manger that its all over the forums about this problem, he said I wasn't the first to come in for this knocking noise (no wonder he gave me no "lip"), and probably wont be the last. Looks like though they are keeping it quiet from the public for now.... (recall/TSB)

....so beware my fellow Charger friends. If the cars a knocking, better get rocking down to the dealer.

Rich

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is at service today to have the tie rod replaced. Should I be concerned that they are not replacing the rack also?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just picked up my car.... what a difference!! Steering is as tight as a drum head now. NO knocking noise, and runs straight. They changed the rack, replaced both rods, and did an alignment as promised. All covered.

I told the service manger that its all over the forums about this problem, he said I wasn't the first to come in for this knocking noise (no wonder he gave me no "lip"), and probably wont be the last. Looks like though they are keeping it quiet from the public for now.... (recall/TSB)

....so beware my fellow Charger friends. If the cars a knocking, better get rocking down to the dealer.

Rich
Can you describe the knocking you heard? And, was the car wandering or hard to keep going straight before the fix???
Thanks
mangoman

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Can you describe the knocking you heard? And, was the car wandering or hard to keep going straight before the fix???
Thanks
mangoman
No the car was running straight, but when I pulled up my driveway I would hear a clunk sound from the pass side of the car. It always bothered me. Had that sound a long time but gave it no thought till I told the dealer. Then he called me back ad told me of all the stuff they needed to do. Now NO noise at all.

The sound was like a bad ball joint sound, like as if the rubber or something worn away, not loud, but a hard "clunk" sound.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts