Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one provide me with the measurements of visible threads on the tie rod ends of their car?

Millimeters or standard measurements would be great too! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Can any one provide me with the measurements of visible threads on the tie rod ends of their car?

What for? Did you remove your old ones and forget to count the threads?

BTW, counting the threads only works if you are replacing your old tie rod ends with the exact same ones. I don't recommend doing that especially if those are OEM. The OEM tie rod ends are prone to failure. Napa Premium has a set that are much beefier and they have grease fittings. I think I paid $65.00 each for them which is outrageous for a tie rod end but they are worth it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
They (Goodyear) jacked me for them, when I went to have alignment
(Old tires were feathered).
I forgot what I paid but, it was more than expected.

·
Registered
850 Posts
What for? Did you remove your old ones and forget to count the threads?

BTW, counting the threads only works if you are replacing your old tie rod ends with the exact same ones. I don't recommend doing that especially if those are OEM. The OEM tie rod ends are prone to failure. Napa Premium has a set that are much beefier and they have grease fittings. I think I paid $65.00 each for them which is outrageous for a tie rod end but they are worth it.
Best ones are MOOG

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts

Each car will be a little different...best thing to do is point the tires straight, measure the distance between them at the front and rear of the tire and adjust the tie rod so it fits when everything is square

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
You absolutely can NOT do a proper alignment by counting threads or mechanical measurement.

Put it on a good alignment machine and do it right. Even with identical parts and identical threads, a few microns difference in thread grab can put the wheels off by significant degree fractions. No mechanical ruler is capable of getting it accurate. If your wheel isn't straight, it's even worse since both sides are out by unequal amounts.

There is a reason modern alignment machines use lasers and long read distances to get accurate angle degree readings. Mechanical measurement and counting threads is early 1960s technology from when tires weren't even truly round...and they were skinny bias-ply polyester (E70/15 was as big as it got).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts