Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone heard anything about the charger having tie rod problems?? i bought an 06 se 2 weeks ago and took it to get an inspection, i was failed for visual and functional front end the guy doing the inspection said my tie rods had to be replaced and for me to bring it back to the dealer he told me it was the second charger in the past month that he failed because of the same problem he also said it was common in the charger. well anyways the dealer had his best guy go through the car and found that the tire rods did indeed need to be replaced he also found out when he contacted Chrystler that he couldn't just get new tire rods he had to buy some kind of full unit that cost in excess of 800$ none of which will be comming from my pocket.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine is in the shop today for the exact same issue, plus my steering rack is bad. This seems like it is becoming a common issue with the LX's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have seen a couple of posts about the same thing... Seen the complaint about the 06's a lot but have not heard anything about the 07s... hoping it is "fixed" in the 07s. Hell... I hope they have it fixed in the 06s... But I believe I read that someone had it replaced twice already.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
This is NOT the thing I need to be hearing just before I ship my car. The last thing I need is the steering rack going south once in the UK.... It'll cost thousands to repair (don't think my warranty is going to extend to the UK, TBH). :confused:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the symptoms are?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just picked my car up from www.ingallseng.com . They are working on designing new, sturdier, adjustable tie rods for our cars as well as some other goodies that should beef up our suspensions. I humbly offered my car as the test-car so I'll let you know what they end up putting into production. I had a faulty outer tie rod that my dealer fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the way the guy could tell when he was checking my car was the wheel could be shifted back and forth there was alot of play with it..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem. Noise over small bumps and am now noticing that the wheel vibrates on the highway. Problem first started around 9000km. When you jack up the front end you can rock the tire back and forth and feel play in the outer tie rods. Both are about the same.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yep... there is a TSB for this issue. I had my driver's side tie rod replaced at 20k. I'm now at 40K and had new tires installed by the dealer recently. I had them check the tie rods again and they didn't find any issues. so far so good.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The outer tie rod ends can be replaced separately, but if the inner tie rods are bad the whole steering rack has to be replaced. Naturally, it needs replacement if leaking also.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does this affect all models? Don't the R&T/Daytonas' have a different steering box, thus they may not be affected?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Whats the TSB# I have and appointment friday for the same issue, and this would help, because the dealer has already tried to blow me off and it took a bad survey to chrysler for them to call me to resolve my problem.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yes, please chime in if you have a Daytona and have had issues with your tie rods...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
the way the guy could tell when he was checking my car was the wheel could be shifted back and forth there was alot of play with it..
How many miles do you have on it? For the rest of us, it might be worthwhile to get one of those hypodermic needle attachments for our grease gun and shoot some Mobil1 synthetic grease into the tie rod end boots.

Best,

1 - 20 of 50 Posts