Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving today slighty before dusk at approxiamately 8:30 PM with my amber led halos on. I see a police officer look at me, spin a u turn and pull me over. He first said he pulled me over for my red lights. I told him, "sir they are amber". He walked to the front of the car and said "Yea, those are defintely illegal". After I plead my case and saw I was getting no where with the officer, He writes me a ticket citing "VEHICLE LAMP PROJECTING GLARING AND DAZZLING LIGHT".

CITING THIS PART OF MD LAW 22-219 CODE G
All comments and advice would be much appreciated

§22–219.
(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under the Maryland Vehicle Law, shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle, which:
(1) Shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than 300 feet to the rear in normal sunlight;
(2) Shall be actuated on application of the service (foot) brake; and
(3) May, but need not, be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.
(b) Any vehicle may be equipped with and, when required under § 22-206(b) of this subtitle, shall be equipped with electric turn signals that indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made.
(c) The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber.
(d) The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber.
(e) Turn signal lamps on vehicles 80 inches or more in overall width shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet in normal sunlight.
(f) Turn signal lamps on vehicles less than 80 inches wide shall be visible at a distance of not less than 300 feet in normal sunlight.
(g) No lamp may project a glaring or dazzling light.
(h) Turn signal lamps may, but need not, be incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
All the HID's on the road and he calls your amber LED's dazzling?

I'd have the light output measured and compared to the headlights and take the data to court.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
got me on this one, i thought the only thing that was illegal was to smoke them...

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
ummm HIGH beams are factory and they BLIND the chit out of ppl

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's kind of ambiguous, that particular subsection. But I think in this instance you may only be able to try to prove that it's not either glaring or dazzling somehow to the judge. Or at least hope he's some kind of gearhead and will show sympathy in some measure.

I'd say swap bulbs if it was some kind of fix-it ticket but I've never seen anything quite like that before. That isn't such an easy-to-do with those lights though huh? Best of luck with that, though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Fact of the matter is that they are solid amber and not blinkers. That is what your ticket is for. Now if they were white i bet you would not have gotten the ticket.

I think you are unfortunately SOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was under the impression that the halos were more along the lines of parking lights, not blinkers. Therefore because it was not dusk yet I could legally drive with my "parking lights" on. I understand the law in MD to be all lights displayed on the front of the car must be either white/amber or a shade in between. As far as dazzling or glaring, these lights are nowhere near as bright as the HIDS it seems everyone is running nowadays.

Fact of the matter is that they are solid amber and not blinkers. That is what your ticket is for. Now if they were white i bet you would not have gotten the ticket.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes and it is illegal to drive around with High Beams on also .... Only OEM HID's are allowed by law as approved by DOT. Any aftermarket kits are illegal and deamed "For OffRoad use Only"

Just to add more to the fire

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Last time I checked our cars have amber lights that are on solid whenever the headlights are on. They're called parking lights. :slap: A$$ hat. Guys like him give cops a bad name. Pulling people over for stupid chit.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I have green halos and I ride with mine on day and night. I have been on the interstate, highway, backroads, and passed cops and highway patrol with no issues. One time I was passing a cop in a parking lot with them on and he was just staring at them, then said nice lights. I would say it depends where you are at and the particular officer. In Florida, there is so much custom work on cars the cops can't keep up with everything.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I mean seariously...amber lights on the front like the law says and they still find a way to take the fun out of it. That sux, let us know what happens

·
Registered
177 Posts

This is both incorrect and irrelevant, as follows:

First, your amber parking lights are continuously on.

Second, the ticket was written for glaring/dazzling lights, specifically.

To the OP:

Things you need to bring up when you fight your ticket: The officer told you he pulled you over for red lights. If he did not first mention that they were both red and glaring/dazzling, that is in your favor. If then afterwards he suggests that supposedly your lights were glaring and/or dazzling, why was he still not able to properly identify the color?

Also, getting light output measurements would be to your benefit, if you have any means by which to do that.

You may also consider bringing printed definitions of the words 'glaring' and 'dazzling'. 'Dazzling', by standard definition (which the court needs to hold) really implies that something is incredibly intense. Look it up online or in the book. If you can stand there and look at your lights and not have to shut your eyes, it's not a 'dazzling' light. 'Glaring' is probably similar.

You'll also want to suggest that lights are intended to be visible. Obviously the whole situation is that the officer is suggesting you're 'too visible', but bringing up the fact that it can be a fine line to when you've crossed may be to your benefit.

Still yet, contact your Halo manufacturer to see if they have any legality claims. Sometimes they can provide you with legal information/documentation on jut how bright their lights are, and how or why they would/should be considered legal.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
"A man who represents himself in court has a fool for a lawyer"

A lot of interesting opinions here, some relevant, some not so much. You need a good lawyer who is familiar with the statute AND the court AND the particular bias of the judge hearing the case if you expect to prvail. Otherwise, it's you against a police officer making a judgement call in the field and they ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt in court.

The application of logic and interpretation of the law by the members of this forum are largely worth what you paid for it when it comes to going to court.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"A man who represents himself in court has a fool for a lawyer"

A lot of interesting opinions here, some relevant, some not so much. You need a good lawyer who is familiar with the statute AND the court AND the particular bias of the judge hearing the case if you expect to prvail. Otherwise, it's you against a police officer making a judgement call in the field and they ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt in court.

The application of logic and interpretation of the law by the members of this forum are largely worth what you paid for it when it comes to going to court.
He's right. Our justice system is more about sweet talking and pandering than logic and reason.

A biased judge is worthless for justice.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
You don't "need" a lawyer. Backwoods pretty much nailed it on the head, tell the judge that the officer thought tgey were RED and when proved wrong cited you anyway. If you can take pic's of your halos that prove they aren't as bright as the sun this should get tossed out real quick.

Another thing to think about is after you beat a ticket EVERY cop in town is gonna be on your nutz waiting for you to eff up(trust me I know)

·
Registered
838 Posts
You don't "need" a lawyer. Backwoods pretty much nailed it on the head, tell the judge that the officer thought tgey were RED and when proved wrong cited you anyway. If you can take pic's of your halos that prove they aren't as bright as the sun this should get tossed out real quick.

Another thing to think about is after you beat a ticket EVERY cop in town is gonna be on your nutz waiting for you to eff up(trust me I know)
Dream on, does not matter what the officer said when he pulled you over, only what is says on the ticket. The rest is hersay and the judge will ignore that because there is no proof he said anything of the sort. He could say he pulled you over for it but unless you have it on tape, all that matters is the ticket.

Sorry, but I don't think you stand a chance. Modified from stock, thats all the judge will care about. If the officer noticed your lights, it created enough of a distraction to warrant your ticket so your toast.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i think id take a pic of a bmw with the solid halo in front and say see judge this comes stock on alot of vehicals she why is this any diff

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
This whole thing is why I'd never get anything but white. You're toast man. The cop's word is against yours. This isn't Perry Mason where the judge will go back to the scene of the crime and look at all kinds of interesting evidence. You need to be quick and concise as to why the cop was wrong but chances are the judge and the cop see each other a few times a week and unless the judge is a good guy and already thinks this cop's tickets are generally shaky you're toast.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think it is illegal to drive with JUST parking lights on in most states.
I know it is illegal here in CA.
The bottom line is that local governments are BROKE jsut like the feds. They are looking for any means of revenue generation that they can find.

Unfortunately, traffic tickets are the easiest way for the city to make some easy cash.

In the past 2 years, I have been pulled over for stupid crap 3 times.

Each time the officer was either an idiot with a badge or simply not following protocol, etc.
I contested each citiation with a process called 'Trial by Declaration'.

Essentially, it allows you to provide evidence to the court via written letter instead of standing in front of a judge that could decide you are guilty and swing the hammer before you even say anything in you defense.

The entire letter is considered by the court as 'testimony'. The cop will need to do the same. Basically, they are paid to go to court, they are not paid to write letters.

Every time that I have contested a citation via 'written declaration' it has been dismissed.

Consider this while you are reviewing your options.
+++

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
If you ask the right questions to the LEO in court you could raise reasonable doubt in the judges opinion as to what the LEO though he saw but the problem is what he was sited for....
(g) No lamp may project a glaring or dazzling light. I think that one would have to try and proove that the LEO might have been at the end of his shift and tired to try and make the judge believe that the LEO's perception of the glaring or dazzling lights was effected by him being tired. I am no lawyer but I have seen some cases in court when going for my own tickets as well as I have been coached a couple of times by "friends" when going to court. I have even seen a judge ask the defendant "is there anything else you would like to ask the officer?"..."are you sure?" I could clearly see that the judge would have ruled in the favor of the defendant but because they didn't ask the right questions, they lost.

If you are going to fight it, start your research now...get all of your documentation & evidence (i.e. pictures, statements) together now...and practice what you are going to ask.

I also know someone that does something called trial by declaration where you and the LEO state your cases by writing everything down on paper for the judge to review...the last thing a LEO wants to do is more paperwork. He says that he usually wins his cases but I don't like to write or type so I have never tried it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts