Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a pair of off-road JBA mid-pipes on my Charger and was not very happy afterwards. The stench from the exhaust was so overwhelming that I would often get headaches sitting in traffic. I started shopping around for some catalytic converters that I could have welded in. Originally I had my mind set on Magnaflow as I've used them in the past and their cats worked great. I needed a spun cat due to tight clearance between the frame rails and the exhaust, and the cats needed to have the rear oxygen sensor bung built into them. Magnaflow did not offer such a combination. I came across the Thunderbolt converters on eBay and they met my requirements. Spun converter with the bung built in, and they were only $55 each! I looked around online to get some reviews and only found a few reviews about them, and all were positive so I pulled the trigger. Cats arrived 2 days after ordering them, and while I will admit I was a bit skeptical of the quality when I opened up the box and looked at them, they were exactly what they were advertised as. Had them welded in a few days later and bam! Immediately took away about 90% of the exhaust smell and really didn't quiet my exhaust down all that much. I did keep my O2 spacers in place just because I do not want any CELs, but I'm pretty sure it's not necessary. These cheapo converters were worth every penny and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair... If anyone is looking for replacement converters for cheap, I definitely recommend these.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Great info to have. Thanks for the review! Please report back when you do emissions testing.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A picture of the two cats welded into my JBA mid-pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great info to have. Thanks for the review! Please report back when you do emissions testing.
In NY there really isn't an emissions testing... As long as the converters are present and there are no CELs (which there are not), then the car passes emissions. I do not know how these cats would holdup to a California smog test, but I have no CEL using these cats and my oxygen sensor spacers (wanted to be extra sure that I wouldn't have that stupid yellow light pop up). They definitely do work.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I would like to add another review to this thread... There is a vender on eBay with the username "autowiringsolutions_aws" that makes oxygen sensor extension wires for our cars. The extensions are plug and play, and the quality of the build is excellent. For $22 + shipping they will build you extensions at any length you ask for. I've now ordered two extensions from them, and both times I have been very impressed. Just something to share if anyone is in need of O2 extensions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Super helpful information as I need to get my cats replaced on my R/T.
Did you take it to a muffler shop to get them welded on? If so what was the cost for that? This is a much cheaper option than the $350 each factory direct fits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts