Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, and I'm assuming this belongs here versus Gen. Disc. forum.

Anyway, first time I'm removing the throttle body to clean it. I found several threads discussing different techniques, but for this first time, I'm just going to remove it and clean it that way.

On page 14-174 of the Service Manual, it states that the Throttle Body-mounting torque for a 5.7L should be 105 in-lb. However, I put my torque wrench on 105 just so see if it clicked on the bolt before I removed it, but it didn't. The bolts tightened at that setting, so I backed the torque off a bit, again it still tightened. I eventually backed all the way down to 25 in-lbs (the lowest my wrench goes) and it still tightened just a tad before clicking.

I know that they're going into plastic, so caution is needed to not strip the plastic, but what is that 105 in-lb spec referring to then? Are you guys torquing those 4 bolts or just getting them snug?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
snug is all they need. there is no terribley bad way of them leaking.
105 in lb is about 8ft lbs so it really wont take much and you'll crack the intake in a heartbeat if you go too tight
make sure your lb wrench isnt showing ft lbs. in lbs arent on a lot of cheapy wrenchs

·
Registered
741 Posts
All that needs to happen is for the O ring gasket to seat, so just snug up those bolts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just cleaned my throttle body for the first time. Got a torque wrench and everything to do everything perfectly. I got it done a few years ago at the dealership, I think they charged me 90. Took me under 15 minutes to do it myself. I was pretty disappointed to see the bottom right bolt was put in too tight and stripped the plastic. Looks like the dealership will overcharge and do a crappy job while damaging your car. Not happy at all about that, but it's been so long there's no way I'd be able to go back and complain.

Anyways, I'm glad I did it myself this time, when I was reading the prices are up to like 200 and more I figured I'd try myself.

After I did it though and did the reset with the pedal, the lightning bolt light came on once more. I reset it and haven't had it come back on, but if it does, what could it then be? I have the lifetime warranty, would it then be tike to bring it in to the dealer? I wouldn't want to bring it for the cleaning, but anything else should be covered with the 100 deductible, unless it seems like something else pretty easily done myself. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
If the throttle position sensor (TPS), throttle plate, or anything else with the electronic throttle control (ETC), gets moved, replaced, etc... you typically need to perform a ETC Relearn procedure. I assume the pedal-reset procedure you used is equivalent to a ETC Relearn and it cleared the code(s). You should be good to go.
If the lightning bolt comes On again, plug a scanner into the car's OBD2 port and see if any codes have been logged.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No further issues yet, so I'm thinking it's good now. If it does come up again I'll stop at auto zone and have them check for codes. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok, so I got the light again, stopped at auto zone and got 2 codes:

P2181 cooling system performance
P0455 EVAP large leak detected

Any ideas? Guy at auto zone said it's a leak in the exhaust system and I'd have to take it to a mechanic to have it smoked to find it and that should cancel out the cooling code too. I have no clue, seems like a lifetime warranty issue or what?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
P2181 is a cooling system performance code.
PCM has detected that the ECT (engine coolant temp) has failed the diagnostic test. The coolant temp should only change at a certain rate, if this rate is too slow or too fast P2181 will get logged.
Problem could be low coolant level, ECT sensor or wiring harness/connector (ECT signal circuit shorted or open), or the thermostat.

P0455 is a EVAP system large leak detected code.
There could be a leak anywhere in the EVAP system or a failure of the Evap Purge Solenoid or NVLD switch (NVLD = Natural Vacuum Leak Detection)/

These are two separate problems. Yes, you should have the Evap system smoke tested for P0455 but it has no correlation to P2181. P2181 needs to be diagnosed separately from P0455.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks, I noticed the coolant was somehow low last night so I put more in (luckily I had some since a couple months ago the cap seal went and I needed to add coolant then). Looks like a leak down by the bottom of the radiator. I'm going to take it to the dealer asap.

Now do either of those codes have anything to do with the throttle body issue?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
do either of those codes have anything to do with the throttle body issue?
They're separate problems with no correlation between them. It's what 11 year old cars do ... they have multiple problems occur at the same time or within a short period of time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They're separate problems with no correlation between them. It's what 11 year old cars do ... they have multiple problems occur at the same time or within a short period of time.
Yeah, that makes sense. Hopefully it doesn't always seem like a new problem every month, and if so, hopefully all the issues are covered under the warranty. I don't mind paying the 100.00 deductible to fix any real problems.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The only good thing about multiple things happening closely is that if you have the warranty you can get multiple things fixed with one deductible. The radiator needs to be replaced and some sensor for the emissions or fuel system, I'll know for for when I pick it up in a few days. 100.00 is fine with me, times like that is when I'm glad I got the warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts