Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently been working with a local Dodge dealer for the last few days. We've got the price of THIS 2016 R/T down to $33,500 OTD (assuming I put down $350) to make it even. I currently drive a 2007 SE with 151,xxx miles on it. I've had the SE since about 2013. I owe $4,400 on it still and they're wanting to give me $2,500 for it. What do you all think? The 2016 has every option except a sunroof and adaptive cruise control. Guy told me he would have the Nav activated (currently doesn't have it) for free. It has 200 miles or so on it right now. Had 105 before I even test drove it.

I bought the 07 when I was a PFC in the Marine Corps (I actually needed a car and didn't buy a Mustang at 20% like most) and now I have a much better job (LEO) which pays the bills well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
When I open the link it goes to the main splash page showing Rams, not any specific vehicle. If it's the best price for a vehicle you can get I guess it is one to get.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Tech:
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the LE job. Have you run the numbers on your 07 to see if you might be able to sell it outright? The trade in is where they can play games. If you can avoid the trade in, you could get a much better deal. Even though the '16 is brand new, it's almost 4 model years old. When I looked up Chargers on that link, the '16 did not come up.

Don

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not a good price. You can get a brand new 2019 for a little bit more if you shop carefully. The minute you drive that car off the lot, it's just another used 2016 Charger, and its value will drop like a rock.

Personally, I'd be very wary of buying any four year old "new car". It's most likely been sitting out in the weather for four years. Depending on the climate, it may have internal engine corrosion. You can bet it hasn't had regular oil changes. No one has been adding Sta-Bil to the fuel. It may have had frequent cold starts to wash it or move it around the lot.

You can probably do better selling your `07 privately, but then you'll have to pay it off and finance the new one as well. That's an important point, since a stealership can roll the $4,400 you owe on your 13 year old car into the loan for the new one.

Overall, I'd say that this is not a good plan.

Reactions: Ol*Geezer2018

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds like your not financially able to buy a car. How you still own 4K on a car with 150K miles?
Pay off you car. live with it, Save $ then buy a nice car.
And no any new 2016 car is not a good deal. Can buy a 19.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Sounds like your not financially able to buy a car. How you still own 4K on a car with 150K miles?
Pay off you car. live with it, Save $ then buy a nice car.
And no any new 2016 car is not a good deal. Can buy a 19.
I don't think he asked for your opinion on how he owes money on a car with $150k miles. You do realize the vast majority of people finance cars these days. This isn't the 1960s where a brand new nice car costs $3,500. A loaded Honda Civic can near the upper $20s. Car prices are soaring and wages haven't been. Besides, you need people financing cars.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just offering some financial advise cause I'm in that field.
Geeze people so touchy on this board.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Why are we judging him so quick? Has anyone asked him why he needs to replace the car?

Maybe it needs repairs so expensive it makes more sense to finance a new car?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Just offering some financial advise cause I'm in that field.
Geeze people so touchy on this board.....
Not touchy, but asking how someone, "owes $4k on a car with 150k miles" isn't financial advice. Comes off as you being judgemental.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Too much for the 16 and not enough for the trade either. Better off selling what you have, then find something. Or if your that secure, find something, and sell the old one after.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Currently been working with a local Dodge dealer for the last few days. We've got the price of THIS 2016 R/T down to $33,500 OTD (assuming I put down $350) to make it even. I currently drive a 2007 SE with 151,xxx miles on it. I've had the SE since about 2013. I owe $4,400 on it still and they're wanting to give me $2,500 for it. What do you all think? The 2016 has every option except a sunroof and adaptive cruise control. Guy told me he would have the Nav activated (currently doesn't have it) for free. It has 200 miles or so on it right now. Had 105 before I even test drove it.
reverse image search email checker port checker
I bought the 07 when I was a PFC in the Marine Corps (I actually needed a car and didn't buy a Mustang at 20% like most) and now I have a much better job (LEO) which pays the bills well.

Thanks!
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not a good deal especially for a 2016. The other commenter was right about still owing money on a vehicle purchased in 2013, because if you didn’t like the payments on a 2007 model then you definitely wouldn’t like the payments on a 2016 $33k vehicle. Cars are a depreciating asset not an investment, making payments on a depreciating asset robs you of your future wealth. I cringe at people who get 7-8 year auto loans, you’re guaranteed to be upside down on the car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Im getting the impression that the OP is in the situation where his car is too expensive to repair/maintain but can't afford what he wants and also does not want to buy a cheap econo box.

I spent 10 years in that terriroty and fear I'll be right back there with the price of new cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Thanks!
No no no no no no NO!!!!!!! Heister Dodge in Lillington, NC just sold my 9 mo old used 2019 SCAT Pack for $33,500. I don't care how many miles on it that is waaaaaaay overpriced. ( I just scrubbed their site and don't see a 2016 R/T anymore, you bought it didn't you? ) Professionally detail the 07 and sell it outright for whatever KBB etc prices it for. They are right, the trade it is where a lot of fudging goes on. I have a lot of respect for LEO's in today's day and age and before my Spec Ops assignments I started off in the Marine Corps. You asked for advice I am giving it as someone who has owned 6 Chargers from the V6 to my current Hellcat since 2016. Don't do it and/or negotiate better. Update the link to the 2016 if you haven't purchased it yet.
V/R
SpecOps

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The OP said he solved his issue just as he ended his other two threads about the early oil change and the wedding he has in less than 1 month. Trolling along like a Minn Kota.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Seeing how the OP abandoned his post; good movie but goodness has JLC aged or what.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts