Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm budgeting some modifications for my replacement purchase for my old RT, and after researching stuff on this board I've got a general direction I think I am looking to head.

I like what I have read about short tube headers.

With exhaust, I love the SLP Loudmouth on the 5.7. It sounds so bada$$.

My question(s):

The only shorties I have found are the JBA. Is it possible/practical/ and will it sound right if I mix the JBA shorties with SLP exhaust?

Anyone have any alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
As far as shorties go, I think there there is only JBA, hedman and gibson. JBA is by far the most popular. I am pretty sure the headers should fit the SLPs, I don't see why they wouldn't.

At first I was thinking about trying to stay cheep by buying shorites, but I figured in by time I bought high flow cats, +$400, the cost for SLP longtubes was looking pretty good because it came with cats. If you are looking for performance you won't gain much with headers if you use the stock cats.

You'll get argument on both sides as to whether which is better for performance, LTs or shorites but in my opinion Longtubes give the car a much better tone. I was amazed the way my car sounded after I put longtubes on. The SLP headers really made my car sound bada$$.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My intent was to also get the high flow cats. Someone once told me that if I get long tube headers the car could bottom out more frequently... that true or is it just a "it coulddddddddddd happen" kind of statement?

Any good places to get the SLP with a good price? I've searched a bunch of sites, all are pretty much coming up even though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, most of my driving is city driving. Does the short tube have a big advantage over long tube for off the line power?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, I knew someone would ask....

I get better financing on a new vehicle, and I'd like to save getting the SRT8 until I move out of the hood and have a garage or off street parking.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I still have a few months to decide tough!

Also, I only get the employee discount on new vehicles, not including the SRT8. As much as I would love it... it's probably not financially responsible (which is as lame as it sounds).

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
My intent was to also get the high flow cats. Someone once told me that if I get long tube headers the car could bottom out more frequently... that true or is it just a "it coulddddddddddd happen" kind of statement?

Any good places to get the SLP with a good price? I've searched a bunch of sites, all are pretty much coming up even though.
I guess by bottom out you mean scraping the car? Well I've never heard of a single case where someone scraped their headers on these cars. My SLPs have more than enough clearance. If you are looking to buy check out the vendor section on the forum there is plenty of them that would be willing to hook you up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I see the item description for the SLP headers/ high flow cats it says offroad use only, not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. What exactly does this mean? I don't want to be spending a few grand on something that is going to give me hell through inspection.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
One option you can consider is the Mopar Long tubes. MPSC has them for 1100, or promotion tuning is running a speacial on the AEM (which are for all intents and purposes Mopar's) for 950 SHIPPED! They come with the high flow cats and the extension wires for the o2 sensors, and there is NO way they will scrape. Also, they are more of a mid tube header, so its more of an even distribution of power through the band.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One option you can consider is the Mopar Long tubes. MPSC has them for 1100, or promotion tuning is running a speacial on the AEM (which are for all intents and purposes Mopar's) for 950 SHIPPED! They come with the high flow cats and the extension wires for the o2 sensors, and there is NO way they will scrape. Also, they are more of a mid tube header, so its more of an even distribution of power through the band.
I would still be ok with the SLP LM1 catback?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
shouldn't have any problems, but just in case consult a wiser mind than mine. You could call James at Promotion in the morning.

·
Registered
329 Posts
corsa exhaust...if you were still lookin at a header exhaust combo

·
Registered
877 Posts
Corsa is a good system. Everyone here seems to like it. Although it is a more tame system. The Slp are one of the louder systems that I have heard on these cars. I think they are two totally different sounds. Its just all in what you want. If you want it loud, Slp would be the way to go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not so worried about drone, as my usual daily driving is about 15 minutes to work, 10 home. MDS usually doesn't even have time to kick in by the time I get to work.

The search continues!

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
another thing to consider is e cutouts. if you want serious ROAR, there is nothing louder!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Mopar, or the ones TBY said are the same ones. Will work with any cat-bac, most people are going borla or corsa for those.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
When I see the item description for the SLP headers/ high flow cats it says offroad use only, not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. What exactly does this mean? I don't want to be spending a few grand on something that is going to give me hell through inspection.
Unless you live in CA, you shouldn't have a problem with inspection with any longtube headers. I don't know why they say for off road use only. I guess cause they are louder? With SLP headers you will more than likely get a check engine light for catalyst inefficiency which really is no big deal. But if the CEL really bothers you, you can either clear the code or delete your 02 sensors when Diablo comes out with that feature.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys! It's all of you that make this board the incredible place that it is!

IF anyone has any other thoughts, please feel free to let me know!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts