Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got it today installed i t myself in like 20 mins with the car hot and no probs. and im pretty novice at actually doing the car work ;P trick was letting the coolant bleed off without fully opening the tank. and wet rags for hot engine parts. i got eager on my lunch break.

i saw the car running at about 223* in the evic diagnostic mode, and the highesti saw it get today was like 219. and that was in pretty chill driving, cuz the weather has been so damn nasty. im worried that it didnt really change the operating temp of the engine.

the more i think about it, does having a lower tstat(i got the 180 btw) just open your coolant valve earlier.. starting the cooling process sooner... but still eventually acheiving the same temp in a slghtly longer ammount of time?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't understand why some of these cars run so hot. I have had my 180 in for over a week now, and it has been 110-112 here in Phoenix, and the temp can barely break over 200. Stop and go traffic in the middle of the day with the a/c on. No fan mods. I don't get it.:confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
For us non EVIC guys..does anyone know where the guage should be sitting for normal operation? Mine runs half way, but I have never had a car that does that. Usually it sits about 1/4 on the cool side.
If I have to break out a thermometer no prob.

In reponse to the TSTAT..you're right it does mean it just opens up at that temp. So can someone TECHNICALLY tell me how that keeps it from running hotter? I am all about this car running cooler, I am very technical and just don't like do things because EVERYONE is doing it and truly want to understand WHY??? :confused:

·
Registered
507 Posts
the more i think about it said:
this is true. . thats why you need a fan mod other wise the t stat only works well on the free way. .

·
Registered
26 Posts
The middle is where you car should be running if everyhting is stock, which is about 215. I put the 180T in, and I generally run lower. In heavy mostly stopped traffic, it can reach about 215.

Here is what I learned so far from the various threads. The 180T controls the coolant, but the fan is run is separate and comes on at a higher temp. The Diablo Predator should allow you to lower this threshold so that it is closer to the 180 without having to get a Fan Mod.

From my years of riding my motorcycle, I also found that certain road types and surfaces are a lot hotter/cooler than others.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fan mod eh. yea it def runs cooler when on the highway. but city driving it still goes up to 220-225.

i got a predator ordered so i wont have to do a fan mod i guess.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gotta Predator coming too..so I will see what happens!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yep, 215-219 in slow-and-go traffic, 188-190 going down the freeway at 65-70 MPH. I don't have the fan mod because I'm waiting to see how the Predator does with setting fan-on temps.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
For those w/o EVIC, 1/2 way on the dial guage is normal, in the 215 range. With a 176 degree TStat, it should be just above 3/8 when at that temp, to give you an idea. 195 is about 1/2 way between 3/8 and 1/2 (ouch, that doesn't read well). I guess that would be 9/16 for around 195 degrees.

Strangely, the dial guage doesn't budge much past 1/2 way, even if the coolant gets hotter than 203-215. It just likes to stay there just about the whole time with the stock TStat.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my car runs around 215-225 most the time. hopefully with the fan mod this will change in conjuction with the 180 stat. but i think a big problem is the 78% relative humidity. with a 93 dry bulb and a 98 wetbulb temp here in houston. ugh it makes this hemi choke up like overkill.

but i did see it down in the 190's when cruising on the hwy today, thats at least 20 degrees lower, when im not blazing the road at least. thats cruisin at 75. when i keep it floored it sky rockets to the 215+

1 - 10 of 10 Posts