Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinkin to sell my baby:( I cant deal with the terrible gas mileage. 11-12 mpg city is killing me and at $55 a tank per week im almost broke:( I'm looking into either a 3.5l charger, infinity g37, or a 370z. Not sure what to get and I know most everyone on here is gonna tell me to go with th charger. I'd be fine if my car got at least 15 or 16 city mpg. Even with the power I added with the headers and exhuast I granny drive the car. Still thinking. But I will most likely sell it:(

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Take a look at the 12-14 SXT charger in blacktop trim. I think you will find what your looking for. The 8 speed with the pentastar really work well together. Giving up the sound of the hemi will be hard though. Just a thought.

·
Registered
850 Posts
a custom exhaust puts a nice tone to the 3.5L. And for a 6cyl, it's mean. In my experience though you can get basically the same mpg from an R/T though, so I wish I had got one of them instead.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take a look at the 12-14 SXT charger in blacktop trim. I think you will find what your looking for. The 8 speed with the pentastar really work well together. Giving up the sound of the hemi will be hard though. Just a thought.
The only money I have to work with is about 2K and whatever I would get from selling the car. Newer cars are kinda out of my range. KBB priced the car around 13K at a dealership and about 16K for a private sell. Plus with my nav screen cracked to the point it doesn't even light up, the price would be lower than KBB estimated.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Depending on the year, I don't believe the vehicles that you are considering would differ in gas mileage between each other. If your budget is tight and paying for gas is thinning your wallet, you may want to consider an used economical car. Honda and Volkswagen make some economical cars that get decent gas mileage. I'm sure there are some others if you do some research. It sounds to me like you need a car that requires a filling up every other week. Your options may not be cool, but at least you will have a dependable ride and money in your pocket.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Thinkin to sell my baby:( I cant deal with the terrible gas mileage. 11-12 mpg city is killing me and at $55 a tank per week im almost broke.(
Just to do the math for you, if you spend $55 per week getting 11 mpg and you get something that gets 16 mpg, your fuel bill will be $38 per week saving you $17/week ($70/mo). That's $884 per year. If you spend your $2k to save $884, it's going to take you almost 2-1/2 years to break even on that deal.

If you spent that same $2k on a little econobox that got 33 mpg city, you could save $37/week ($148/mo) and you would break even in 14 months.

Better mpg isn't going to make very much of a dent in your financial situation.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what I was looking into. Not the cts-v coupe unfortunately. .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
What you propose is preposterous. You will save nothing and regret it the moment you hit the gas of whatever you replace it with.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looking through your mods, you do not have a tuner. When I had the shorties and high flow cats on my '06 R/T, and installed the 93OCT tune from the Predator, I was getting 19mpg city/highway and 16mpg city. Give it a try! I have one for sale for $200 with power and serial cable.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm with everyone else. You're savings are going to be minimal with the cars you're looking at. And if you think a G37 is going to be cheap to maintain, well, you're in for a rough road ahead. I'd investigate more into why you're getting such bad MPG around town. Are you just relying on the EVAC to tell you your MPG? I can see your gas gauge is still on 1/2 a tank, so is that what you're truly averaging? I'm averaging just a hair under 18mpg with about 90% city driving, so maybe a good tune up and as someone else mentioned a Predator tune would help you get back some of that MPG. But if you're set on getting a different car, I'd suggest a 4 banger to get the most possible MPG and then maybe save for another V8 in a few years you can drive on the side.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking through your mods, you do not have a tuner. When I had the shorties and high flow cats on my '06 R/T, and installed the 93OCT tune from the Predator, I was getting 19mpg city/highway and 16mpg city. Give it a try! I have one for sale for $200 with power and serial cable.
What kind of tuner is it that you have for sale? If it'll bring up my mpg I'm definitely interested!! I really would hate to sell my charger.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
you're going to get at best 75% kbb trade in value from a dealer... with those mods, more like 50-60%.

It's not wonder your gas mileage sucks, you're not running a tune? Go see Johan at Diablo... they're in your neighborhood!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm with everyone else. You're savings are going to be minimal with the cars you're looking at. And if you think a G37 is going to be cheap to maintain, well, you're in for a rough road ahead. I'd investigate more into why you're getting such bad MPG around town. Are you just relying on the EVAC to tell you your MPG? I can see your gas gauge is still on 1/2 a tank, so is that what you're truly averaging? I'm averaging just a hair under 18mpg with about 90% city driving, so maybe a good tune up and as someone else mentioned a Predator tune would help you get back some of that MPG. But if you're set on getting a different car, I'd suggest a 4 banger to get the most possible MPG and then maybe save for another V8 in a few years you can drive on the side.
Yeah that's what I'm averaging. I'm down to almost a 1/4 tank after driving today. I always fill up on Thursday mornings (that's when I get payed.) I'm going to do a seafoam treatment, change my oil, and change my spark plugs next week. Does the "HEMI tick" have anything to do with bad mileage? I'm looking into a tuner too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just checked KBB and trade in value is for a Daytona with 77k is $9700-10,300. You may be able to squeeze a little more out of the trade depending on what you are picking up. Do you still owe money on your car? That is the biggest factor on deciding to sell it or keep it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just some things to think about:
Do you have a leadfoot? Most here do...
Do you owe anything on your car? That's gonna be rolled over to the next on plus the cost of the new car...
Get a tuner...
Stock filter or CAI?
Tires properly aired up?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just some things to think about:
Do you have a leadfoot? Most here do...
Do you owe anything on your car? That's gonna be rolled over to the next on plus the cost of the new car...
Get a tuner...
Stock filter or CAI?
Tires properly aired up?
I don't have a lead foot. I have granny driven the car for about 5 months.
I paid the car in full.
Looking into the tuner.
I have a K&N intake, cleaned every 2 weeks
And I fill my tires weekly at the shop at school.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm averaging. I'm down to almost a 1/4 tank after driving today. I always fill up on Thursday mornings (that's when I get payed.) I'm going to do a seafoam treatment, change my oil, and change my spark plugs next week. Does the "HEMI tick" have anything to do with bad mileage? I'm looking into a tuner too.
Be careful with the Seafoam treatment. A co-worker had it done on his Genesis and it dropped a valve seat when they drove it out of the shop and destroyed the engine. Your engine is also potentially at risk to drop a valve seat due to the design. If a Seafoam treatment is done, it needs to be done carefully at the right operating temperatures.

Change the plugs, change the oil and air filter if it's due. You shouldn't need a Seafoam treatment if you have been maintaining it reasonably well. If you have been using cheap gas, a fuel treatment to clean the injectors might help also. Try a bottle of Techron injector cleaner from the auto store. I'd recommend ACES IV but your budget seems too tight for that right now.

The Hemi tick has nothing to do with fuel mileage. It has to do with the engine design and the oil mostly. Some fuel treatments can help with the sound but it's not related to combustion efficiency and MPG.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts