Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my exhaust for just under a year, but I want to change it up a little bit. For reference, I am running a full 2.5" system (parts of the stock system were 2.25") with chambered mufflers, and no resonators. My "complaint" is that the sound isn't as deep as I'd like it to be.

The newer 5.7L Chargers (2017+) run the 2.75" system, but I haven't been able to find out if it's 2.75" all the way through. Either way, I have noticed that the 2.75" system sounds a lot deeper in all configurations. My idea is to ask my exhaust guy if he could make my system 3" AFTER the mufflers which are in the middle of the car. I would go with 2.75", but if I remeber correctly, he said that he can't get his hands on that size of pipe for some reason.

My main concerns are how this would affect exhaust scavenging and if the sound/tone would be any deeper. He originally wanted to go full 3" on the car, but I opted for 2.5" instead.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I ran my '13 5.7 with a custom 3" cat back, no mid mufflers and no resonators. The drone at highway cruising was horrid, but at idle and under throttle it sounded great.

There was no loss of power, if anything it moved the power band up a little, but it still left the line hard.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran my '13 5.7 with a custom 3" cat back, no mid mufflers and no resonators. The drone at highway cruising was horrid, but at idle and under throttle it sounded great.

There was no loss of power, if anything it moved the power band up a little, but it still left the line hard.
Would you say that the sound was deeper when compared to a 2.25" or 2.5"?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Would you say that the sound was deeper when compared to a 2.25" or 2.5"?
It was a little bit deeper. Something about the 5.7 doesn't lend itself to having a really deep sounding exhaust like the 6.4. I went through 5 exhaust set ups and the 3" I had made was the closest to what I wanted, so it stayed on until I traded the car on my Scat Pack

I never went with long tubes on that car, but that would probably help more than anything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a little bit deeper. Something about the 5.7 doesn't lend itself to having a really deep sounding exhaust like the 6.4. I went through 5 exhaust set ups and the 3" I had made was the closest to what I wanted, so it stayed on until I traded the car on my Scat Pack

I never went with long tubes on that car, but that would probably help more than anything.
Okay, thanks for the input. I might try out a partial 3" exhaust to see if it changes anything. I am wondering if the cats are a different size on the 2017+ 5.7's which might influence the sound as well.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Okay, thanks for the input. I might try out a partial 3" exhaust to see if it changes anything. I am wondering if the cats are a different size on the 2017+ 5.7's which might influence the sound as well.
IIRC the '17+ cars got the exact same active exhaust on the 6.4's from the manifolds back. They sound awesome.

There is always someone selling parts/ whole systems so that might be something to look into. The active exhaust valves are normally open, so you could just remove the actuators and run it like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 5.7 has that old-school HEMI sound. I wouldn't go any larger than 2.5" on the 5.7 engine. Keep the resonators to prevent drone. 2.75" with AEV is fine. A 3" exhaust will exhibit a slightly deeper tone, but you'll lose some low-end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts