Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new here but have been browsing here and searching Google for a week now and I have a question and I cant seem to find the answer. If this has been covered I apologize but I cant find it.

Im looking to buy a 2nd gen Charger for a couple reasons but what really hit home was what I read in a car and driver review..."its the car you get when your spouse wont let you get a Mustang." In this case its my kids. I need the back seat.

There are basically 2 options for me, the R/T or SRT. Im not looking for a V6. There are plenty of threads comparing the two and I totally understand the differences but there isnt really anything that I can find saying how close you can get the R/T to the SRT. Around here its about a 10k-15k difference in price.(looking at used, not new) Whats the general thinking? Is it better to take that 10k-15k and upgrade the R/T or just spend it on the SRT? Im thinking 5k would get me some really nice upgrades but I dont know if its worth it or im 'just spinning my wheels'

Also, Im totally new to Chargers and Dodge in general. Any helpful info about these cars you feel like sharing would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Used prices should be closer than 10k

Go for SRT

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? For a decent 2011+ R/T im looking at 26k to 30k+. The cheapest 2011+ SRT around here is 38k. The rest are 40k+ :errf:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just went from a 2005 Mustang GT to a 2013 Charger SRT8 Super Bee. After a long time researching different options and some test drives, the final two choices for me were a 2011+ Charger or 2013-14 Mustang GT. The Charger is more comfortable with my family of five in it than the Mustang I drove with only two people in it. I looked at some CTSVs, BMWs, and such, but as my buddy said when I got the car, the Charger SRT just "fits me like a glove".

As for SRT vs RT, I'd recommend you test drive each and decide how you want too spend your money. I test drove an RT Daytona and loved it, but I like my SRT8 Super Bee even more. Deals are out there, you can find very low mile Bees in the low $30's

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
You will be happy with the Charger, either way you go. Check and see if there is a R&T in your area. There is as much difference between the R/T and the R&T and there us between the R&T and the SRT. I've driven all 3 and have now owned 2 R&Ts. The SRT owners will definitely vote for same. I won't lie, I considered it when I ordered my '14, but I loved my '07 R&T and ordered another. I had 120K+ miles on my '07 when I traded her and she was still running strong.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I've owned both and hands down LOVE LOVE LOVE the SRT more. It's not just a motor, its the entire package. You can get the same "options" mostly in an R/T as you can an SRT, but the ride, handling, motor, seats, and stance of the SRT that you don't get in the R/T. I actually get better mileage in the SRT than I did my R/T Max AWD. Last trip I just took from PA to MD I got 27.4 mpg. My Max got 25-26mpg at best.

The driving experience is just better in my opinion. With that said, both (R/T and SRT) are awesome cars.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Make sure you're widening your search... I was willing to drive up to 300-400 miles one way - but ended up only going 300 round trip. Afterall, it is a big purchase. Take a day and go get what you want, not what is close by!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
KBB.com Check trade in value good condition, multiply that times 75%. That is typically wholesale value. Dealers will attempt to sell for higher prices, because people will often pay the higher price. Be willing to search, you can get under 10k difference.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Make sure you're widening your search... I was willing to drive up to 300-400 miles one way - but ended up only going 300 round trip. Afterall, it is a big purchase. Take a day and go get what you want, not what is close by!
^^This^^

I have also driven close to 400 miles to get a car I want, my 2014 Charger was actually that far away but the dealer did a trade with another one to get my car. Get what you want man! It sucks to have to wait but you will have no regrets later. Me personally, I had never owned a new car and I really wanted the Charger to be my first new one so I went for it and it ended up being around 35K after everything for a 14 Charger R/T 100th annversary. So you should also consider that you CAN get a new R/T for the price of a used SRT. Just something to think about. However, if you value absolute performance first and don't mind some miles on the car, go for the SRT and wait for the right one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a R/T R&T and I can tell you, it definitely has enough power to get in trouble very quickly. On the other hand, would I take the SRT? Hell yeah.

On a serious note, consider your daily drive. If you do a lot of in-town driving, you're going to take a pretty big mileage hit with the SRT. On the highway, you probably will do about the same in Eco mode.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies!

Im searching in a 300 mile radius. For me that grabs Houston, Dallas, and Austin. I've found several good deals on R/T Road and Track, which if im going to get a R/T it will be a Road and Track. Ill keep searching for a SRT8 because if I can find one in the low 30s thats the obvious choice. I can find pre 2011s in that range but not 2011+.

Is blue a rare color? It seems VERY hard to find

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Is blue a rare color? It seems VERY hard to find
Yes, blue is a very rare color. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a 2012 SRT in the 35-38k range. Remember too, advertised price is just the asking price. So if you find one under 40k, then ask what there bottom price is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to let you guys know I settled on a 2014 white Road and Track with STP. I look forward to bothering you guys more and more. =)

·
Registered
859 Posts
:bigthumb: Congratulations!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.... But no pics, didn't happen. lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. I'll post pics when I get it Monday. They are tansfering it from another dealership. Researching programmers right now ☺

·
Registered
46 Posts
Really? For a decent 2011+ R/T im looking at 26k to 30k+. The cheapest 2011+ SRT around here is 38k. The rest are 40k+ :errf:
Damn... I do not want to be in your neck of the woods. I just walked off the lot of my local dealerships here in Tulsa 3 weeks ago with a brand new 2014 R/T MAX for $30K out the door, and I forced them to go to a dealership in Kansas to get the one I wanted.

I love my R/T to death, and the things I could do to it with $8K boggle the mind.

No matter where you are though, you will always have a ton more leverage in the negotiation phase with an R/T over an SRT just because of the volume difference. There just were so many more R/Ts made than SRTs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts