Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says - are there any particular brands I should stick with? What type should I get? I've noticed with the colder weather here (around 35 degrees in the morning) that my steering seems rather sluggish. Please don't make me read the manual :biggrinjester:

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You guys are gonna make me read the manual aren't you? :sad:

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I believe we already have synthetic from the factory

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Last time I looked at a bottle of Mopar ATF+4 I believe it said it was synthetic

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe we already have synthetic from the factory
Dang. I was hoping that would help fix my problem. I don't want to warm up the car for 10 minutes before I can get smooth steering again.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
that's what I was thinking. The transmission fluid and power steering fluid are the same synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's what I was thinking. The transmission fluid and power steering fluid are the same synthetic fluid.
Darn. Thanks. I found a thread earlier about something called ZMax or some kind of additive. Has anyone found one that could be useful?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Darn. Thanks. I found a thread earlier about something called ZMax or some kind of additive. Has anyone found one that could be useful?
Do not use it. I have heard nothing good of additives and ATF+4.

Good article here
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

The steering does get tight when it is cold, I dont think there is anyway around it. I know once it gets under 20 it's tight in -20 it's really heavy....

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would try something with a lower Pour point.

1.) Pentosin CHF 202 is around -55C pour point (hard to find)

2.) Pentosin CHF 11S is rated similar at -54C (more common, and you can find both at Audi/VW/Porsche dealer.

You can use google to find the spec sheets.

Best advice is to just let your car warm up a little when it is really cold. The worst thing you can do is get in and immediately start turning lock to lock as if you are going to "work" the stiffness out of the system.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would try something with a lower Pour point.

1.) Pentosin CHF 202 is around -55C pour point (hard to find)

2.) Pentosin CHF 11S is rated similar at -54C (more common, and you can find both at Audi/VW/Porsche dealer.

You can use google to find the spec sheets.

Best advice is to just let your car warm up a little when it is really cold. The worst thing you can do is get in and immediately start turning lock to lock as if you are going to "work" the stiffness out of the system.
Great advice - thanks

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Great advice - thanks
Well, I personally wouldn't be putting the Pentosin 11s in my vehicle. Having owned and serviced a number of Audi vehicles I can tell you from first hand experience that this fluid is not very hardy at all. I was changing it on my A4 and A6 annually and it was totally fried each time.

ATF+4 is the recommended fluid for our power steering systems and it is a very sturdy synthetic base fluid.

A little background on ATF+4 for anyone who cares:

The SAE paper mentioned in the above article is chock full of info too.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Well, I personally wouldn't be putting the Pentosin 11s in my vehicle. Having owned and serviced a number of Audi vehicles I can tell you from first hand experience that this fluid is not very hardy at all. I was changing it on my A4 and A6 annually and it was totally fried each time.

ATF+4 is the recommended fluid for our power steering systems and it is a very sturdy synthetic base fluid.

A little background on ATF+4 for anyone who cares:

The SAE paper mentioned in the above article is chock full of info too.

Cheers,
Ritz, are you like an automotive engineer in real life or did you just stay at a holiday inn express:D

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Ritz, are you like an automotive engineer in real life or did you just stay at a holiday inn express:D
Heh, I have an engineering degree, but I'm not a practicing engineer. My family had a service station/tuning shop from 1939 until a couple of years ago. So I spent every summer, most days after school, and lots of weekends and vacations there helping out for a very long time (even when I was working on Wall Street as an investment banker...hehe). Very often I'd be at the shop along with both my father and grandfather and I remember meeting customers who's parents and grandparents had brought their vehicles to our shop. Kinda cool and sorely missed as a hangout. Sigh....

So I'm a bit of a gear head. :)

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Heh, I have an engineering degree, but I'm not a practicing engineer. My family had a service station/tuning shop from 1939 until a couple of years ago. So I spent every summer, most days after school, and lots of weekends and vacations there helping out for a very long time (even when I was working on Wall Street as an investment banker...hehe). So I'm a bit of a gear head. :)

Cheers,
very cool... i've seen a lot of your posts and they really have detailed and precise info to help forum members out:beerchug:

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
very cool... i've seen a lot of your posts and they really have detailed and precise info to help forum members out:beerchug:
My asperger-ish personality seems to mesh well on technical groups. I try to help where I can. Mrs. RitzRT probably begs to differ on the utility of my detail oriented ways at home. :)

She prefers ---> :bowdown:

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
My asperger-ish personality seems to mesh well on technical groups. I try to help where I can. Mrs. RitzRT probably begs to differ on the utility of my detail oriented ways at home. :)

She prefers ---> :bowdown:

Cheers,
haha... i can relate on the home front thang:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts