Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with a muffler performance shop about modifying the exhaust on my R/T. He said what he has been doing is to remove the resonator, and put straight pipes from the cats back with tips. Has anyone had this done and how does it sound?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Thats a brylcreem mod with reso delete. It will be loud. It will be nasty. And it will DRONE when MDS kicks in. Great if you want to scare everyone who sees the car. Bad if you want to take a long road trip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mind it being loud and for 165 bucks I can see how it sounds and if I don't like it I can put a couple of flowmasters under her.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Since you're considering the whole she-bang, consider installing the tips further out than the stock locations. On some cars this appears to influence the amount of drone inside a car, but it's not clear if it's a matter of where the outlets dump with respect to the bumper edge or if it's simply a matter of ending up with a *slightly* longer exhaust path that is enough to change the resonant frequency of the exhaust tubing.

One car in particular had long tubes that were "filled in" at least 2/3 of the way to cut down in interior noise (otherwise the "flaring" of the tubes with respect to the exhaust piping would create a "booming" which in stock locations would resonate too much inside the cabin). A popular mod was to install pre-production style hollow tubes (ie. outside and inside diameter being equal the whole length of the tube) and installing them an inch beyond the stock location.

So I'm wondering if the "tuna boat" syndrome on our cars would be addressed by simply extending the tips an inch or two past the bumpers, allowing the removal of the resonators without fear of setting up that standing wave inside the car that seems to be the nature of the dreaded "drone".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you're considering the whole she-bang, consider installing the tips further out than the stock locations. On some cars this appears to influence the amount of drone inside a car, but it's not clear if it's a matter of where the outlets dump with respect to the bumper edge or if it's simply a matter of ending up with a *slightly* longer exhaust path that is enough to change the resonant frequency of the exhaust tubing.

One car in particular had long tubes that were "filled in" at least 2/3 of the way to cut down in interior noise (otherwise the "flaring" of the tubes with respect to the exhaust piping would create a "booming" which in stock locations would resonate too much inside the cabin). A popular mod was to install pre-production style hollow tubes (ie. outside and inside diameter being equal the whole length of the tube) and installing them an inch beyond the stock location.

So I'm wondering if the "tuna boat" syndrome on our cars would be addressed by simply extending the tips an inch or two past the bumpers, allowing the removal of the resonators without fear of setting up that standing wave inside the car that seems to be the nature of the dreaded "drone".
This particular muffler guy said he would install double walled pipe IE. 4" outside diameter and inside 3" diameter. I do like the idea of extending it an inch past the stock.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
This particular muffler guy said he would install double walled pipe IE. 4" outside diameter and inside 3" diameter. I do like the idea of extending it an inch past the stock.
Let us know what you decide to do and how it comes out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can count on it. I just sold my pick up so I will be adding tyhe R/T painted spoiler, K&N CAI, & exhaust. I hope to buy a tuner soon!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
get AFE stage 2 cai!!!!

k&n is sposed to do a poor job filtering, and you get less juice of of it.

my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts