Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better to have? A 160° or the 180°? I know most have the 180° but would it be better to go 160°, or is there really not much difference?

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
Which is better to have? A 160° or the 180°? I know most have the 180° but would it be better to go 160°, or is there really not much difference?
Actually, unless you adjust the computer looking for 203 degrees, it would be better to keep it at the stock stat. Increasing combustion efficiency is going to net you much more power and torque than the 180 or 160 t stat.

Even with a Diablo tuner, we have found that running an 89 octane fuel, ACES IV and a 91 octane tune!:bigthumb:

Understanding speed density your 06 has is important in this pursuit.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126484&highlight=speed+density

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119766

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
924 Posts
What most do (including myself) is run the 180 Tstat and reset your fan speeds to 190/199 so the fans won't run excessively but will keep the engine around 190 which is right in the sweet spot for performance. Too low of a temp and in my opinion you're doing more harm than good for engine longevity.

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
What do think the t-stat is going to do for you?

Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do think the t-stat is going to do for you?

Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Just keep the engine cooler. I plan on getting a diablo sport tuner and change all the presets. I plan to get the tuner and thermostat in the middle of Jan. Around the 10th or so.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I don't understand why everyone jumps on the 180 t-stat. From what I have read and been told by "professionals" is that it's pointless. If you track the car it has some benefits...I would personally say minimal benefits. I have yet to see any research that validates the use of the 180 and below thermostats.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I run a 170 tstat and at the track it benefits a good bit. Cuts down on cool down time and heat soak. Also a lower tstat will keep the fuel trim fat as the car thinks its still trying to warm up.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
For 13$ why not run cooler?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
At the track yes I understand...but for me I don't see the real benefit. I agree the price point seems like why not, but I'm so lazy I feel like I would need to see some major benefits to get in there haha.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It takes a total of maybe 5 mins to change out.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It takes a total of maybe 5 mins to change out.
Yes I know, I'm lazy. I've considered it. I usually go through my dad who is the track guy. He has a 170 t-stat in his viper and dislikes it. He was telling me it takes forever for the car to come up to temperature. If he didn't track the car he would go back to stock. He advised I not go with a 180 t-sat. I've considered getting one for the summer months and going back to stock during the winter.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It doesn't take to car any longer to get to the specified temp. My car gets to 172 and stays there unless I'm dogging the car. The t stat doesn't hamper the warm up, it just stops the temp from going any higher than what you set so if kinda lost on how it slows down the warm up.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It doesn't take to car any longer to get to the specified temp. My car gets to 172 and stays there unless I'm dogging the car. The t stat doesn't hamper the warm up, it just stops the temp from going any higher than what you set so if kinda lost on how it slows down the warm up.
You know I just gave him a call and apparently he got all goofy and drilled a bunch of small holes in the thermostat...wonder if that has anything to do with it. I am terrible with car stuff. I'm good with car lighting and basic knowledge of exhaust/headers etc. Other than that I'm too much of a priss I guess. My dad grew up in his dad's gas stations. My upbringing and working in the hospital has made me too white collar/pathetic these days, I've been trying to learn and do more stuff for myself!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We all have to start somewhere bro, no big deal. It's all about getting your hands dirty and learning. I'm a grease monkey so I take sh!t apart for the hell of it and put it back together to learn how it works.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
We all have to start somewhere bro, no big deal. It's all about getting your hands dirty and learning. I'm a grease monkey so I take sh!t apart for the hell of it and put it back together to learn how it works.
Haha I know man I've been trying. I'm so scared to break stuff! I'm not afraid to jab somebody with a needle the size of a garden hose but when it comes to the car I'm afraid of causing catastrophic damage by loosening a few bolts. My dad is the same way, he's our resident mechanic...I usually have him do all my car stuff and I'll help him to learn. Although at 23 years old I figure I should grow up a tad haha. I'm trying to figure out why my car is throwing P2096 and P0133 codes. I think I have an exhaust leak at the manifold...the new mids must not have bolted up tight enough.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Looking at the codes one is showing a lean condition from bank 1 and the second is a slow response from sensor 1 bank 1. Sounds like you may have a bad 02 sensor. Have you data logged lately to see if there is any knock? Shoot me a pm if you need some help figuring it out so we don't crap the guys thread which has been discussed over and over.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Looking at the codes one is showing a lean condition from bank 1 and the second is a slow response from sensor 1 bank 1. Sounds like you may have a bad 02 sensor. Have you data logged lately to see if there is any knock? Shoot me a pm if you need some help figuring it out so we don't crap the guys thread which has been discussed over and over.
PM sent.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
He has a 170 t-stat in his viper and dislikes it. He was telling me it takes forever for the car to come up to temperature......You know I just gave him a call and apparently he got all goofy and drilled a bunch of small holes in the thermostat...wonder if that has anything to do with it.
You have your answer. Drilling the T-stat essentially bypasses the ability for it to stop the coolant flow and maintain the rated temperature.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
A 170 deg and certainly a 160 deg T-stat will regularly create the P0128 CEL for low engine temperature. You can't program that out of the PCM. Don't go any lower than a 180 deg unit.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Correct^^^^^^ I get a cel with the 170.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts