Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about 180 degree tstats throwing codes during lower tempatures? Is this correct? If so should I hold off on buying/installing one with winter fast approaching?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've read about 180 degree tstats throwing codes during lower tempatures? Is this correct? If so should I hold off on buying/installing one with winter fast approaching?
Get the motorad 180 thermo part 4128 at Auto Zone. I have had no codes and u should be fine in Maryland. Car runs much better with the 180 thermo.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
this may seem like a stupid question, but wouldnt the dealer just put a 180 in already if it runs so much better with one? There has to be a draw back to it

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It's for emissions purposes. And it's the manufacturer not the dealer who said to use a 205 thermostat.

·
Registered
616 Posts
They didnt do b/c of emissions purposes.. or so I was told

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, looks like its time to go purchase one of these. Anyone have the link to the install instructions?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
will you still pass emissions tests with one of these? after installation, can you truly feel a difference?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have had my 180 t-stat for over a week now and have not saw any codes. Without any fan mods my temp only stays around 182 during no stop and go driving but when I get my Predator that will change.
I bought the 180 t-stat because I know my car feels much more powerfull when the car temp is lower(not the stock 200+) regardless of what the outside temp is during the first few miles of driving.
Randy

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Without the fan settings of my predator even with the 180 tstat my car was going above 200 consistently most of the time around 212. With my predator settings I can easily keep it at 188 with the medium fans kicking in at 190. .

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Yes it makes a huge diff in performance, no you won't throw codes and yes it will be hot enough in the winter

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I swapped out to a 180 stat and have had 2 codes (P0128 IIRC) for temp too low, and that was on morning warmer than 60 degrees, 1% humidity, and nearly all freeway. Nothin major, but a PITA

·
Registered
174 Posts
if you don't get the coolant to 181 in the first 15 Min's you could get a check engine light . no big deal if you get 181 3 times in a row the light goes out.
with out a fan mod you will run about 177 to 185 on freeway in the city you will still run up the temp 220 but will cool down below 200 with easy driving in the city. hope this helps

i have not had a problem in 3 months except the check engine light and when i got out and looked Yep i had an engine :lol:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think you have 10 mins not 15 min to get to 181

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the Motorad 180 thermostat and constantly throw codes

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you go to autozone what exactly am I asking for? I had a friend that was at a store already ask for one and they didn't know what he was asking for.

·
Registered
174 Posts
this should help with the install
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=39710
there was a video on this but i cant find it

your fans will only come on at about 203 even with the 180 t-stat
you will get a code check eng light from time to time (big deal).
you will be fine on eng with 180 t-stat but if you go lower 170 160 stats
you could see premature eng ware

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea I just watched the video and decided this was something I wanted to do. I would like to get the MotoRad 4127 but need to know what I'm asking for since Autozone doesn't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
174 Posts
this is the one i got at autozone
ask for "Valucraft 4128" they should have it in stock.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i read an old thread today... from like january of 06, a lot of the original cf members were talking about different thermostats, and they decided the best one to get was the napa 381-190... 190 degree t stat... never thrown a code. there were pics of it on the thread and it looked like a nnniiicccee t stat. i just read about it like 2 hours ago, and theres a napa store down the road so i think i'll go buy one tomorrow if they have em...

they also said with the fan mod it'll run around 185 most of the time?

what do yall think about that?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well...

Do we all agree ther "sweet spot" for our motors is between 170-190o F?

Why do we need to change it at all? Many ask, because our OEM is 203o F to keep the smog folk happy right?

In my personal experience dragracing, I have always shot for a 180o F system. The pistons are the right shape, the oil is sufficiently viscous, and it is a temp you can feel comfortable taking a small block to 7200 rpm. This thought process kept me from scattering my built "A" engine - hope it holds true to 6k on this 5.7!!

The links to the LX forum articles were quite informative. Thanks for those!

Does anyone run the Stainless JET 180o F unit? Is it $hite or a good Tstat?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts