Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Charger RT w/R&T, 66000 miles, owned it for approximately 3 1/2 weeks, purchased from a Ford dealership.

The vehicle temp gauge is always at the halfway mark and occasionally climbs higher even at stop lights or under very light acceleration. The other day for the first time it climbed all the way to the red, the indicator came on and then it immediately went back to normal.

The fan seems to run a lot also and is very loud.

Am I right in changing the thermostat first? If so, how difficult of a job is it?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I have a 2007 Charger RT w/R&T, 66000 miles, owned it for approximately 3 1/2 weeks, purchased from a Ford dealership.

The vehicle temp gauge is always at the halfway mark and occasionally climbs higher even at stop lights or under very light acceleration. The other day for the first time it climbed all the way to the red, the indicator came on and then it immediately went back to normal.

The fan seems to run a lot also and is very loud.

Am I right in changing the thermostat first? If so, how difficult of a job is it?
It's a good place to start. You may also be low on coolant and need to bleed the system to get any air out of it. What you experienced may have been an "air burp" of the system purging itself. Is you coolant reservoir full to the normal level?

The loud fan means it is running on the high setting trying to get the temp down.

Changing the thermostat is fairly easy to do but you have to make sure you bleed the system properly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked up a video on changing the thermostat. I did not look that difficult. How do I bleed the system?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to post an update. I have not received my thermostat yet but I have burped the coolant system this weekend. I think it did the trick! Burped it and added coolant to the resevoir. It blows hotter air when the defrosters on and has been running a bit cooler.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Today while sitting in a drivethrough bank line my temp gauge started to climb well past halfway again. I kicked on the defrosters and it came down with no problem.

I continue to burp it by loosening the cap and letting the air out at least once a day. As I said before, I added coolant to it last week. I will do the thermostat and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ok. Today while sitting in a drivethrough bank line my temp gauge started to climb well past halfway again. I kicked on the defrosters and it came down with no problem.

I continue to burp it by loosening the cap and letting the air out at least once a day. As I said before, I added coolant to it last week. I will do the thermostat and see if that helps.
Thermostat for $20 bucks at the auto parts store, not much for something detrimental.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts