Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us have seen the threads involving replacing the ram's head on the airbag cover, and some of us have had mixed results getting the damned thing to stay attached due to heat. Glue melts, tape comes off, what have you.

I live in Texas. It's HOT here, and the greenhouse can turn into an oven in near record time. I've had my toll tag velcro melt and slime its way down my windshield before (yuck).

So here's my theory: Thermal adhesive. Easily available at any self-respecting computer parts store (Fry's, etc). The whole point of the stuff is (generally speaking) to permanently affix a heatsink to a chip in a computer. Being the techno-geek that I am, I have this crap already in my toolkit, and can of course verify from experience that this stuff holds on tight. I've even shattered a chip on my motherboard to which I had affixed a heat sink six months prior when I accidentally nudged it while testing a water-cooling setup.

I know some people have had no problems with whatever they've used (3M spray-on adhesive, etc) but I thought I'd throw another suggestion out for those of us in stupid-hot climates. My emblem is in the mail right now, so when it gets here I'll be the guinea pig if no one else wants to. If anyone's already tried it, please weigh in with pros and cons.

·
Registered
298 Posts
CAUTION!
Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive.
Any components you attach together with Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever.

Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive should be kept cold and away from UV light (sunlight and florescent lighting).
We recommend refrigerating the unused material and allowing it to come to room temperature prior to use.

i use thermal paste for my computers, but i thought that the whole point was to help the heat get from the cpu to the heat sinc to dissipate the heat away from the chip... i have never put much though to it though

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CAUTION!
Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive.
Any components you attach together with Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive will stay attached forever.

Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive should be kept cold and away from UV light (sunlight and florescent lighting).
We recommend refrigerating the unused material and allowing it to come to room temperature prior to use.

i use thermal paste for my computers, but i thought that the whole point was to help the heat get from the cpu to the heat sinc to dissipate the heat away from the chip... i have never put much though to it though
It is, first and foremost. Well, sort of. It's supposed to fill in the microscopic gaps between the, for example, the CPU die and the heat sink surface and make a perfectly-mated surface for equal heat transfer. Regular thermal material (the kind you'd use between the CPU and heat sink) won't stick permanently, but the adhesive stuff will hold on for dear life.

·
Registered
298 Posts
if if will stick well and in the sun i would try it, but i would try it on something similar but not needed first because u dont want to melt the plastic, alot of adhesives like that have chemical reactions that can burn through other materials. for example some superglues will melt Styrofoam, wire wrapping, and the back of a TV Remote just a few things i have done...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if if will stick well and in the sun i would try it, but i would try it on something similar but not needed first because u dont want to melt the plastic, alot of adhesives like that have chemical reactions that can burn through other materials. for example some superglues will melt Styrofoam, wire wrapping, and the back of a TV Remote just a few things i have done...
Yeah, the harsher stuff like Super Glue is notorious for that. Thermal adhesive is very chemically neutral stuff. I've used it on plastic toys and even styrofoam (as a test) with no ill effects, but I see your point as the emblem and the airbag cover will be softer material.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts